72 Duster, new guy in KY

-

raggedjim

Reaction score
I must be nuts...

I'm getting ready to pull my first car out of a field to restore.

It's a 1972 Duster Twister FE5 red with all the stripes.

It's not in good shape and I wouldn't do it if it wasn't my first car.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you guys as this progresses.

Thanks, Rg

Your not nuts. Your just mopar mentally deranged like the rest of us.

Use us and abuse us... We love it.

Cant wait to see the pics

welcome and enjoy

-RPM

I took a pic with my wife's cell yesterday. I'll post it soon. Maybe you guys will talk me out of doing this!

Rg

A twister huh? Look foward to this picture!

Welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy it as much as we all do. I sell cars and parts from 64-74 so feel free to ask me about any all parts you might need.

My mom gave me a picture of my brother and me standing beside it in '73. I was 11 then. My dad bought it new, when I turned 16 my dad gave it to me and I drove it like a, well, a 16 year old! I ended up buying a Trans Am in '79 so I gave the Duster to my brother, who ragged it and ended up blowing the 318. It's been in my grandmother's back field ever since... I think since '82.

I'll try to scan the one pic and, if I can figure out how to get the pic from my wife's phone, I'll post it too.

Later, Rg

Welcome, Congratulations and sorry to hear that. The condition... I mean.

Well, at least your first is still here. My first mopar went to the crusher after the guy I sold it to beat it to pulp.

Welcome, Congratulations and sorry to hear that. The condition... I mean.

Well, at least your first is still here. My first mopar went to the crusher after the guy I sold it to beat it to pulp.

Well, I've restored a few 64-72 Chevy trucks, so I'm set up for sheetmetal welding and such. Floor pans look to be the worst area so far...

Rg

Rg, I see they're all encouraging you and are glad the car's still 'alive,' but not many have officially welcomed you yet! :-D You aren't that far away from me (I'm in Weakley County in the northwest corner of Tennessee) and I'm glad you and your Duster are here. Welcome aboard!!!

Rg, I see they're all encouraging you and are glad the car's still 'alive,' but not many have officially welcomed you yet! :-D You aren't that far away from me (I'm in Weakley County in the northwest corner of Tennessee) and I'm glad you and your Duster are here. Welcome aboard!!!

Isn't there a big MOPAR club in west Tenn? Paris maybe?

Believe me, the car is much more interesting than I am, but I do appreciate all the comments and kind words.

Rg

]A fellow Kentuckian , welcome to FABO , we are 10 miles south of Elizibethtown ,Dane

watch

Welcome to FABO raggedjim, glad to have you here. Can't wait to see the pictures, I always like seeing cars rescued from returning back to the earth.

... Isn't there a big MOPAR club in west Tenn? Paris maybe? ...

Not that I know of, but I've only lived here for a couple years and admittedly haven't played 'tourist' much or met many local motorheads yet.

I do know there's a SERIOUS shortage of decent car shows around here though! Thankfully, there's one next weekend, September 20, in Sharon, Tennessee benefitting the Carl Perkins Center for Child Abuse that my shop is helping to sponsor. (There's some info about it on my website's "Cool Links" page near the bottom if you might be up for a little road trip. It would be great to meet ya.)

Jim, howdy, from central Texas. Glad to have ya. Sounds like an ambitious undertaking, but nothing we can't help you get through. Let's give her a go.

Jerry

Well, here's the scan of the picture from '73, I know, it's pretty poor.

I'm the skinny kid on the right, add 35 years and I look basically the same.

Still working on cell phone pic. Yeah, I'm a dumb @$$...

Rg

duster.jpg

Man,that is an awesome picture! I wonder if anyone else has pics of themselves as kids in front of their cars that are still in the family! I can't wait to see you restore that baby. The cars with real history are the sweetest,Good Luck,Dan

Thanks, I have wanted to do this for awhile, but I'd really like to get it done soon, as my dad is in poor health. He has pretty severe alzhiemer's but he always remembers that Duster...

Rg

Non-smartass suggestion:

Invest in a digital camera. Nothing is more motivational then to have the pictures on the computer, wall paper, etc, and then on the forum and to have these progress mongers on you butt. Accountability increases your progress and success rate immensely.

That is a great picture......I got to dig up some of my old photos of my Duster when i was a kid......

Whoa Nelly !!!!! That thing is sweet !!!!! Cant wait to see some more pics of it..... Love the Cragers also those would have to go back on it...... Good luck.... :cheers:

-
Back