**73 Scamp Mini Pro-Street Engine Swap**

-
so it seems really bitchen louis,so put the big bullet in there and spray the hell out of it!good work man ilike it!now...

Still messin with the lil 340. I rebuilt a Holley 700DP for it and installed it today. I used the alcohol Pump Diaphrams. Changed the Floats to handle the messed up pump fuel. Needle and seats & non stick gaskets. I got it all hooked up went to start the car and the flipping throttle cable busted right at the carb. It was frayed pretty bad so I expected it. I have a used one on my shelf that I hope fits. Ordered a new one but it will be here in 3 days. I used those clear site things for the Float level adjustment.... They don't work too well. They both broke........ Supposed to be at Crusing Grand in Escondido CA tomorrow afternoon.

Anyway I got it all tuned and it is Really crisp. Throttle response is Instant.... Idles with 12 lbs of vac at 900RPM. Sounds really good. Just so everyone knows I HATE Eddy Carbs they suck!! haaaa

View attachment phpn8GGvYPM.jpg

View attachment phpEjvQCpPM.jpg

View attachment phpShWRV8PM.jpg

View attachment phpvyNyirPM.jpg

View attachment phpBxpoguPM.jpg

View attachment php0nYQqWPM.jpg

Got the Throttle cable fixed. I ended up using a 6cyl Throttle Cable. It actually fits better than the V8 cable. It does not come straight out the firewall and run into the valve cover. It comes out does a small lil loop around the Bulk Head instead. I like it better!

Can't believe I missed this thread. Nice ride! I didn't read through all of the pages, but I was just curious... What are the specs of the motor?? It sounds great!

Can't believe I missed this thread. Nice ride! I didn't read through all of the pages, but I was just curious... What are the specs of the motor?? It sounds great!

From what I know it is a bone stock 8.5:1 Compression Stock head castings 1.88 intake 1.60 exhaust valves. Stock Rocker gear Hyd Flat Tappet Cam. I don't know exactly what cam is in it but it sounds like a .484 Purple Cam to me. The new carb woke it up quite a bit compared to the POS Eddy 600 that was on it.

I hate eddy carbs too, and I have a mostly stock 340 w/ X heads with an eddy 600 on top. I'm about to try a 750DP w/ a 1" spacer I have laying around. I'm curious what size squirters you ended up using in your 700?

I hate eddy carbs too, and I have a mostly stock 340 w/ X heads with an eddy 600 on top. I'm about to try a 750DP w/ a 1" spacer I have laying around. I'm curious what size squirters you ended up using in your 700?

Mine has a 1" Wilson spacer on it with an Air Gap. My head castings are 587's.

I used the stock squirters. I don't know exactly what size they are but I can check for you later. About to fire it up and give that lil 340 a workout in a few. Probably drive around 150-160 miles today with it!

Nice! No need to look it up. I just went on their website and it looks like they came with .028 and .031 nozzles. Just trying to get and idea of what to set my carb up with.

Just a little update...... When driving home last night the trans started slipping in 3rd gear. I felt a slight slip in the throttle so I backed out of it. I was going 60mph on the freeway. I put my foot back on the pedal and no 3rd gear, little resistance but felt like "N". This all happened in a split second it seemed. Well probably about 3 seconds. I managed to get the car to the side streets and drove it home using 1st and second. 1st and second gear act as if nothing has ever happened. Reverse works also...... So this is where it gets tricky.

That being said I stayed up late last night asking members questions and researching myself. Come to find out the front drum is only engaged in High Gear along with the Rear Drum. The rear drum is used in first and second gear and NO Bands are applied. In reverse the Front Drum and Low/reverse bands are applied. When you engage "R" the line pressure increases on to the Front Drum to somewhere in the neighborhood of 230PSI. When it 3rd gear the line pressure is only supposed to be around 95-100 PSI and with a Shift kit it can be in the 120 range.

With that all being said when in "R" the line pressure is so great that it could put enough pressure on the front drum to still engage "R". I would dare to say that I believe my problem is with the Front Drum/Clutch Pack.

I drained the oil, dropped the pan this morning. No Shrapnel, fluid is clean, color is good, not burnt and does not smell funny.............

Well after I drained the trans I let the pan sit under the transmission to drain for 24 hours. When I was cleaning the pan I wiped my finger on the bottom of it and found all kinds of debris. Shiny metal and chunks of metal. I did not notice it the day before....... so I pulled the trans. Had to cut the exhaust cause it was in the way... I will make it a drop out unit when it goes back in. Also I had to cut the transmission lines....some jackwad used some type of glue on the fittings and there was NO WAY they would come loose. I stripped the fitting trying so out came the hack saw blade.

So I am unbolting the trans, 1 bolt was missing and only 1 bolt was actually tight. The rest I swear were finger tight. I also thought the rear main was leaking but in fact it is the back of the intake manifold leaking down the back of the block. It is not a lot but it is noticeable.... Easy fix.

Whoever worked on this car was a TOTAL BUTCHER. I am in shock that someone would do this kind of work on a car, total non sense at its finest!:violent1:

View attachment phpPQ68rtPM.jpg

View attachment phpj9gLznPM.jpg

View attachment phpGRbQpQPM.jpg

Sorry to hear about your trans Louis.Hope this can solve your unknown vibrations.

Oh now that you mention it. I forgot the converter had 2 weights knocked off the front of it. There is alot of material left from them doing so. I believe this is what is causing it.

seems like trans problems are going round sorry to hear it

Its all good. This is my chance to do a rebuild on the transmission myself! I have all the good parts/vendors saved. Doing my research and watching the videos. It truly looks like it is going to be very easy to do from what I have looked at so far.

I will also be ordering up a converter soon! A REAL converter not like the stock one that was in the car that was supposed to stall to 3000-3500 Rpm.... LOL

all i know is the more you worh on it the better that car becomes.and your right eddy carbs suck!!!!!!!!!:burnout:

Well I tore into the transmission this afternoon. It took me about 1 hour to tear it all apart. The only thing I did not pop out is the Sprag. All I have to do is grab it and the springs and rollers will fall right out...... No big deal. "EDIT--The 904 Sprag is RIVITTED to the Case so it does not pop out. I was confused from the videos showing the 727 where it does pop out....."

Oh and that hour included making a 'CUSTOM TOOL :D" for my press so I could get the Piston assembly out to R&R the front drum Lip Seal and replace the piston with the fancy 24 spring unit.

I can say I have always been a little intimidated with transmissions but after today I can say that intimidation is gone........ Anyway I am going to order all the go fast goodies, clean it all up and start the reassembly.

First picture is the tools I used to tear it apart. Not very sophisticated to say the least!! LOL

View attachment phpNAdtPpPM.jpg

View attachment phpZhuQ0UPM.jpg

View attachment phpxXt34kPM.jpg

View attachment phpWMFtp9PM.jpg

View attachment phpRvMCavPM.jpg

View attachment phpcoGmUVPM.jpg

View attachment phpnloEYvPM.jpg

View attachment phpvNYSzTPM.jpg

View attachment phpi7a8FiPM.jpg

View attachment phpRd6UhEPM.jpg

The sprag housing is riveted in the trans case.

Nice work..

Louis, your an animal! ha! You have done more work to that car then I have done to mine in two years. Are you going to throw the 410 in now with the trans out?
looking good and sorry about the setbacks.

Ian

**** for a turn key car you have nearly rebuilt the whole damn thing.

Gotta laugh about it or I will go nutzz. Yes I bought a paint job and interior on wheels! At least when I get done it will be bullet proof... Well sort of :D

Your gunna laugh some more too. The Master Cylinder is leaking bad and the front brakes are squealing. Sounds more to me like a bearing is going bad..... So while it is down I will be investigating the brakes & wheel bearings, and throwing on a NEW Master Cylinder. :banghead:

Louis, your an animal! ha! You have done more work to that car then I have done to mine in two years. Are you going to throw the 410 in now with the trans out?
looking good and sorry about the setbacks.

Ian

Something is going in it. I will decide in a few days which way I will go. Leaning more toward a Hot 340 or 360 now with a 150 shot. We will see. This car keeps throwing me curve balls that is for damn sure!:banghead:

Something is going in it. I will decide in a few days which way I will go. Leaning more toward a Hot 340 or 360 now with a 150 shot. We will see. This car keeps throwing me curve balls that is for damn sure!:banghead:
nice make it scream!

Trans kit is ordered along with all the go fast goodies to make it last this time. When everything gets here I will start the re assembly! The fibers were wore all the way down to metal and all the pressure plates were blued and dis colored so I ordered all new ones "3" total. I could have saved them but I figured why not just replace them since it is tore apart. All 3 were only like $25.00 more.

-
Back