**73 Scamp Mini Pro-Street Engine Swap**

-
And this one before the current one...

arnold-schwarzenegger-150x150.jpg

Got the car all cleaned up this morning. I am going to go shake it down today. Headed for a long cruise to see my buddy cliff that has a really nice 70 Swinger with a HOT 340 4pd. See if we can stir up some trouble....... Lol :burnout:

Here is a vid from this morning. Still no burn out cause I mostly roll solo.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqN600yXr5o"]Scamp cleaned up - YouTube[/ame]

Went and took the car out for a nice cruise today to San Diego. Put right at 160 Miles on it. Burned a good bit of fuel!! I ended up picking up a Holley 700 DP from my buddy. He bought it new and only ran it for prob 25 gallons of fuel or so. I ended up giving him a nice 750 Demon a little over a year ago or so to run on his car. He likes it for his set up.

Pleasing to the eyes and the ears. Nice work.

So this car has a spool in it right? How did it do running around town?

The motor still has a Lil shake to it down low. I also think the Driveshaft is out of balance a bit. I can feel a good vibration when shifting to neutral at MPH with the engine at Idle. I still got some work to do.............

I really believe the engine is out of balance too. I call it a Bastard 340 cause who the HECK knows what was done to it.

See the link here......

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=230074

so how did she feel? pretty quick? sounds like she has a bit of cam in her.

It seems to have some good power if you get on it out of the hole and HOLD your foot through the floor board!! I found out it does shift into 3rd gear when it hits the REV CHIP at 6K! LOL I can thank Crackedback for helping me get it tuned right! I did pick up a 700DP for it from my buddy Cliff. It is brand new.

It burns the tires easily in 1st and chirps 2nd and 3rd. The transmission feels really strong that is for sure. My buddy Cliff was like HOLY CHIT. The trans has some balls to it. He says to me get a good converter and this car will be a light to light animal even with the Lil 340. He thinks too that something is not right on the balance. It just feels weird.

So this car has a spool in it right? How did it do running around town?

The spool is fine.... I don't have any problems driving the car at all. I think alot of guys are just afraid of them. When you turn corners say at a left or right light.... Just don't let go of the steering wheel cause the Spool tries to push the car to go straight is all. :burnout:

The spool is fine.... I don't have any problems driving the car at all. I think alot of guys are just afraid of them. When you turn corners say at a left or right light.... Just don't let go of the steering wheel cause the Spool tries to push the car to go straight is all. :burnout:

i think a spool is easier on parts then my detroit locker. that sum-***** locks hard. you even breath on the gas pedel in a turn and it clunks and bangs into lock up mode.

i think a spool is easier on parts then my detroit locker. that sum-***** locks hard. you even breath on the gas pedel in a turn and it clunks and bangs into lock up mode.

I've heard and read so many mixed reviews on these two setups. People complain that spools are hard on tires, suspension, axles and then you've got others that complain that the lockers click and clunk and how annoying that is. But most people I've talked to that actually run spools in their cars on the street don't seem to mind them at all. I think that after reading these two posts, I'm just going to spool the thing! If I don't like it, I'm not going to be out much at least.

I've heard and read so many mixed reviews on these two setups. People complain that spools are hard on tires, suspension, axles and then you've got others that complain that the lockers click and clunk and how annoying that is. But most people I've talked to that actually run spools in their cars on the street don't seem to mind them at all. I think that after reading these two posts, I'm just going to spool the thing! If I don't like it, I'm not going to be out much at least.

my dads demon has been running 10-60's for 5 yrs now with the spool in his car and he runs huge drag radials on the street. puts over 4k miles a year on the car. never had a prob. his car picked up .15 with the switch from the heavy sure grip to a spool.

when i first drove my car with the locker it scared the **** out of me. it sounded like a "little person" in the trunk with a hammer. now the car is so loud i dont even hear it. but you can feel it lock and disengage. it has a little wiggle in the *** when it locks coming out of a turn. but if you want to hang the *** out on a turn she is ready to rock.

I have said it for years and even was called names when I said a spool was really decent on the street. My DD years ago ran 11.60s and had a spool and 9x28 slicks and it drove great. I even drove it in the rain. There are two kinds of people in this world, ones that talk sh*t on spools and ones who run them. Dont get me wrong they arent like an open diff but they aren't bad at all, they will chew on your tires though. I have a locker in my 10.0 135+mph Camaro and I have mixed reviews but it does work good for its intended purpose and you get used to the goofy lock mid turn.

-
Back