**73 Scamp Mini Pro-Street Engine Swap**

-
Is this like one of the "Just bolts on in minutes" deals? Like they ever do.....

I hear ya on that one. Still I do know if all the stuff I bought fit correctly and was not short it for sure would have been all buttoned up in no more than 3 hours total from when I started assembly.

If someone did these all the time you could straight out Knock these out in 2 hours from tear down, clean up and re assembly easily. Building an engine is a hell of alot harder than doing one of these transmissions for dang sure!

good work,glad to see that you are taking your time doing it yourself,to many people are afraid of transmissions for some reason,the biggest PITA in doing them is to actualy get the transmission out from under the car and put it back,the actual rebuild is usualy an ok job:)

Well I found the correct parts. They are very inexpensive $14.00 for the correct thrust washer kit. The kit that came in the Rebuild Box is for 1978 & Up 904's I found out.

Next time around I will just piece a kit together now that I know what goes into one of these things. Will probably save $50.00 or maybe even more doing it like that.

The trans should be SOLID when it is done. Ready for whatever!

I think I am going to pull the 340 on Sunday and drop in the 410 Stroker! Screw it! Whats funny is I know I will be on my way to find the next week link when the engine and trans are back in the car...... Especially with that HOT Converter that is going in it! :D :burnout:

Yes I will be replacing the U Joints to some Spicer jobs. They are only the 7260 Units. I am sure they will take some abuse.

I did end up buying a stock Steel 340 Crank yesterday that will eventually work its way into the 340 that comes out of the car.

Just read this thread from start. Good looking car, you've done a lot of work in a short time to make it correct.
If you havent assemble the trans all the way you might want to remove the pump sealing rings and o-ring till you have set the end play then install the rings, less chance to damage them.
I also want to see the smoken tire video.

Just read this thread from start. Good looking car, you've done a lot of work in a short time to make it correct.
If you havent assemble the trans all the way you might want to remove the pump sealing rings and o-ring till you have set the end play then install the rings, less chance to damage them.
I also want to see the smoken tire video.

Thanks...... Yeah this car was a mess. Hopefully I will be terrorizing the streets soon. Your talking about on the pump so you can take it in and out while setting the end play? Hmmm That is a pretty good idea!

I hear ya on that one. Still I do know if all the stuff I bought fit correctly and was not short it for sure would have been all buttoned up in no more than 3 hours total from when I started assembly.

If someone did these all the time you could straight out Knock these out in 2 hours from tear down, clean up and re assembly easily. Building an engine is a hell of alot harder than doing one of these transmissions for dang sure!
Easily 1/2 that time and much quicker for the common "rebuilder" type deals. Very simple to build unit.

Had a little free time today so I decided to pull the Pump assembly and clutch packs out of the transmission that came out of the car. Took me all of 5 minutes to have it out and inspected........ Oh boy is all I said...................and then laughed my *** off!! I have to or I will go nutzzzz.:violent1:

Anyway the Kick Down band is non existent. Absolutely NO Material is left on it and it was eating into the metal part of the band itself. This is where I started busting up laughing all by myself...... The front clutch pack had the Pressure Plate on the BOTTOM and they had a STEEL on top to apply the pressure to the clutches...... HOLY BAGEEBERS BATMAN!! ROTFLMAO... My neighbors must think I am a psychopath. The clearance on the front clutch was .170" also........... DAMN

So I found the reason I had no 3rd gear. The front clutch and rear clutch are both applied when in 3rd gear and the front clutch ONLY engages in 3rd gear and only when it shifts to 3rd gear.

1st and second gear shifted really good even after 3rd went away. I drove the car home in 1st and 2nd gear when it broke and I let it HAVE IT at least 4 times winding 1st out and grabbing 2nd and yes it barked the tires every time. I cant imagine how the NEW Trans is going to be if this one felt strong.......:burnout:

View attachment phpO9ngXXPM.jpg

View attachment phpOY3FcXPM.jpg

View attachment phpQ6XUdmPM.jpg

Nice attention to detail... LOL

At least you know how to put 5 friction in them now!

Nice attention to detail... LOL

At least you know how to put 5 friction in them now!

Yeah.... LOL for sure.

I am still amazed how fast you can tear into one of these transmission. I am not shitting you I had the pump out kick down band and the clutches tore apart and inspected in 5 Minutes.

The rear clutch had a clearance of .060 not bad but a little on the sloppy side.

.170" clearance? Damn. . Now,I need to read the thread,Damn. See you in a few minutes. (Seriously..).

No offense but I think I am gonna use you as a reference of time, "Itll be done in a Mad Dart weeekend!" :toothy10:

Well my transmission thrust washer kit got here and it is the wrong one again. This is totally jacked up. I was on the phone with the parts person and went over everything that is in the thrust washer kit I bought and it is supposed to be correct. They went LINE BY LINE for each washer it came with and it is WRONG>>>>>Ughhhhhhh I am fckn pissed off now. Order the **** and wait a week to receive the wrong ****.

I am just going to re use the ones that came out of the POS. Screw it.

I am guessing I won't see the scamp tomorrow at the Fling. Are you still going to make it out there?

Ian

Not going to the fling. I will be wrenching on my POS.

younggun2;you gonna sell me that 340 now?

I will be starting to build a bottom end out of the 340. I picked up a steel crank for it last week. My plan is to maybe and this is a maybe cause who knows if they will ever be available, is to put a set of the NEW "Big Mouth" Eddy heads on it and try to make 600HP out of a lil 340! Nothing wrong with being wishful :D

-
Back