**73 Scamp Mini Pro-Street Engine Swap**

-
Absolutely fantastic thread boss! I have actually read through it twice now. I'll be heading over to my neighbors house later this week to pick up the 72 scamp I've been bothering him about for the last 2 years.
Your thread is going to be a big help, i have a lot to transfer over from my 74 swinger, as well as many things that I'll need/want to do to the scamp in the process.

by the way Aug 17th is the Thunder On The Mountain car show here in Tehachapi, if you feel like a little road trip. Id love to see The scamp in person.

Thanks again for such an in depth archive

Both wheel choices look great but IMO need to have matching fronts:D

The car is mostly a street car so these wheels will only be busted out at the track. Maybe I will bite the bullet and just get fronts to match the circle ones......

Check out this picture of the car. The wheels don't really match now but at first glance it is hard to tell. Fronts are Welds the rears I don't know what they are! haaaa

View attachment IMG_6352.jpg

Absolutely fantastic thread boss! I have actually read through it twice now. I'll be heading over to my neighbors house later this week to pick up the 72 scamp I've been bothering him about for the last 2 years.
Your thread is going to be a big help, i have a lot to transfer over from my 74 swinger, as well as many things that I'll need/want to do to the scamp in the process.

by the way Aug 17th is the Thunder On The Mountain car show here in Tehachapi, if you feel like a little road trip. Id love to see The scamp in person.

Thanks again for such an in depth archive

Cool on the scamp project you will have going on! I try to do as detailed a thread as possible with pictures so people can see what is actually going on. It does take quite a bit of time to do it. Thanks for the props.

On the car show thing..... I am too ADHD, ADD to sit at a show. I always got to be doing something or I feel that my time is wasted. I am the kind of guy that walks through a car show in about 30 minutes looking at Mostly Mopar's then I am out of there. Lol :D

The car is mostly a street car so these wheels will only be busted out at the track. Maybe I will bite the bullet and just get fronts to match the circle ones......

Check out this picture of the car. The wheels don't really match now but at first glance it is hard to tell. Fronts are Welds the rears I don't know what they are! haaaa

View attachment 1714743543

You may loose a point or two at a car show. Other then that, i don't think most would notice, or even care.

Its kinda like a paint and body man. He can pick a paint job to DEATH!!!! But all most see is a nice paint job.:cheers:

When/if I get my current wheels sold, I'm switching over to those same circle pattern wheels! Love the look of them. Except going non bead lock.

Yup at $240.00 each non beadlock you can't go wrong! Single Beadlock doubles the price depending on which beadlocks you choose.

Just ordered the MT 29.5 x 10.5 ET Drags. 11.2 Tread Width, 13.6 Section width and they are supposed to be 29.6" tall.

I will also be cutting the 9" on the stand down some more to work with a 3-3.5" Backspace wheel. "Another 4-4.5" on each side of the housing will be chopped off" This will also loose some weight in the process. This way I can use any brakes I want and I will not be limited to size and worry about the step down in the wheel hitting the caliper.

Well while I am waiting for the new Vac Gauge to get here so I can install it. I decided to go after finishing the Ford 9" with Ladder Bars.......

I drilled and tacked in the Fill and Drain provisions last night. I also ordered the Ladder Bar set up from Chris Alston Chassisworks. So no more games! Lol , I tack it all with a Mig and then slow the process down and finish it up with the Tig!

I ordered their track locator extra long and I may turn it into a Panhard bar for exhaust reasons. I don't really like the exhaust exiting the sides of the car so my thought was if I use a Panhard bar I can shove some mufflers in there and dump the exhaust at the axle like it is now. My mind will be made up on the install.

I sketched the Panhard bar out on the ground and swung it through the suspension travel. The axle would not move hardly at all, 1/8" is all, either way throughout the complete travel of the suspension. This of course is with the Panhard bar set up completely level at ride height. A lot of guys talk as if the rear will move inches when using a Panhard bar, this is not the case as long as it is set up lever at your ride height.

In my previous post I thought I would need to cut the axle down a little more but figured out after a bunch of measuring last night I forgot I already did that! It has been too long since I messed with it.

My wheels right now have a 4.25" back space so the brake situation is no problem. I called Champion Wheel who is about 15 min from my house and I will be headed there most likely this afternoon to order up the wheels for the new slicks. They take 2 weeks to be ready for pick up.

View attachment phpYbpIDaAM.jpg

View attachment phpJwpiPlAM.jpg

View attachment phpP3IDzLAM.jpg

View attachment php7QJ5tRAM.jpg

9" is all tacked together. The Ladder Bars should be here in a couple days. I will tackle them when they get here and then finish TIG Weld it all off.

I got my axle measurements and I will be placing the order tomorrow. Going with Moser 35 spline & 5/8 ARP 3" Studs & Lug Nut Hardware.

I like to tack the housing ends in place and then get all the hardware on the housing and then TIG Weld it all off except the housing ends. After It is all welded off, brackets etc, then I cut the ends loose to make sure the axle hardware is straight, then tack them back on and weld them off. Tig welding makes stuff move around a bit, **** gets HOT!

There is that missing Piece!!

View attachment php09QrGtPM.jpg

View attachment phpnEFohZPM.jpg

View attachment phpdOyubkPM.jpg

View attachment phpcL7iafPM.jpg

View attachment php9cFxd1PM.jpg

What brand are those circle ones can't tell on the pic? Even double that price for bead locks is still cheaper then the welds which run $1100 per I believe.

What brand are those circle ones can't tell on the pic? Even double that price for bead locks is still cheaper then the welds which run $1100 per I believe.

All those wheels are Champion. They have some pretty slick options mix & match bead locks etc, wheel colors and such.

Yeah weld is out if their minds!!

So new Drag ET Slicks are here.
Waiting on Ladder bars
Ordered Axles
Still need to head out to Champion Wheels to place order..... Hoping for today.

I am researching brakes as of now. I don't need rear parking brakes but I want the rotors to stay cool cause I drive the crud out of this car on the street. I have heard mixed reviews on using Drag Brake Rotors vs Vented on the street. On the fronts I would never do it but the rears? They don't help stop much anyway right???

So I am trying to figure this out and order the rear brakes today. Moser has 2 good set ups that will work. 1 is regular vented with 2 piece hats and Wilwood dynalite calipers.
The other set is their race version drilled/slotted 2 piece hat also with Moser Calipers.

Does anyone have info or have used Drag rear brakes on the street??

So new Drag ET Slicks are here.
Waiting on Ladder bars
Ordered Axles
Still need to head out to Champion Wheels to place order..... Hoping for today.

I am researching brakes as of now. I don't need rear parking brakes but I want the rotors to stay cool cause I drive the crud out of this car on the street. I have heard mixed reviews on using Drag Brake Rotors vs Vented on the street. On the fronts I would never do it but the rears? They don't help stop much anyway right???

So I am trying to figure this out and order the rear brakes today. Moser has 2 good set ups that will work. 1 is regular vented with 2 piece hats and Wilwood dynalite calipers.
The other set is their race version drilled/slotted 2 piece hat also with Moser Calipers.

Does anyone have info or have used Drag rear brakes on the street??

Im running the wilwood 12.19 rear vented rotors with the aluminum hat and dynalite calipers. the entire set up both sides weighs 32.5lbs total. pretty damn lite! the whole kit was $590 from moser when i ordered my rear.

I ordered the strange rear drag disc brakes, solid rotor with 4 piston aluminum calipers, good price too.

Im running the wilwood 12.19 rear vented rotors with the aluminum hat and dynalite calipers. the entire set up both sides weighs 32.5lbs total. pretty damn lite! the whole kit was $590 from moser when i ordered my rear.

Looks good! Non Parking brake version right?

Mine is same that I ordered accept they are Drilled, slotted and coated..........Big Deal. Lol

Looks good! Non Parking brake version right?

Mine is same that I ordered accept they are Drilled, slotted and coated..........Big Deal. Lol

no parking brakes. my garage is not on a hill lol. i love the look of the drilled and slotted rotor. just couldnt afford em. i could get em later if i have a few extra bucks.

Looks awesome Louis. As usual..lol I want some champions too the anodized black circles with anodized double bead locks and there anodized lug nuts.. Just incase your feeling generous.. LMAO

-
Back