9 mm gun, what to get?

-
Ease of use, reliabilty, and durability; definitely do not buy a Glock for your first gun.
Fixed it for you. One of the most over rated firearms right there, in my opinion. Again, in my opinion. Buy what fits you, not what people suggest.....

Confused yet? Everybody telling you that favorite brand of gun is great and all but......if it is not comfortable in your hand chances of you becoming a good shot with that particular firearm, considering that you are new to it all is pretty slim. Not to name brands, but one I picked up the grip was to big in diameter. Another the angle of it was all wrong. Another had a really miserable feeling trigger, another had a trigger that while the pull of it felt right the angle and shape were comical. And these are all brands & models that have been mentioned here. What works for one does not work for all. Wife swears she can feel the difference between a few of our same brand but different calibers, I can not. The one that she says is larger is the one she has the most trouble with. I would think that your best bet would be to find a range that also rents weapons and spend some time and $$ messing with a few of them.

If your stuck on a 9mm. Stick with a Glock. They are fine handguns and used many many law enforcement agencies.

For my daily carry I have been carrying a Walther PPS .40 for 6 months now and love it!! it is the thinest thing on the market, I carry it unholstered in the waist band for up to 8 hours a day I some times for get I have it. Yes I even where it in my paint booth or under the lift. I have had them and still have most (LOL) a .45 is by fare my favorite but uncomfortable to daily.

[/attach][/attach]

Attachments

• IMG_4817.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_4819.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_4818.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 133
Not enough info to give you my opinion based on a long life and much study of the subject.
But:
What is your price range?
What is this gun for?
If for it is for defense, what is your life worth? (See first question)
Is it for your night stand or concealed carry?
If both it will be a compromise gun.
Are there children in the house?
(It is easier to disable a auto for safety than a revolver. See below)
A general rule: if you are not going to become very familiar with the gun by practice, avoid "self stuffers".
They are more complicated and tend to have feed issues although people will sing the praises of their gun of choice.
A revolver will go bang for sure when you want it to.
If not, simply pull the trigger again.
Are you going to keep this gun the rest of your life. (I think that is a good practice. I've regreted selling most all guns I ever did sell).
A final rule of thumb.
Invest in quality.
You can't go wrong with a Colt or Kimber. Smith is an old line and has had bumps in the road. Be careful.
Go to a gun show for a big selection in one place and education.
Then pick your gun.

My daily carry is a Charger Arms undercover. Had it 30 years. Fits in my pants pocket.
"Why do you carry a 38, are you expecting trouble?"
"No, if I was expecting trouble, I would carry a 45"

I just picked up this little girl in 9mm, Sig Sauer P229! Even picked up a .22LR conversion kit for her!

dsc02252zl.jpg

dsc02253a.jpg

dsc02254h.jpg

Well, I appreciate all the advice and stuff, but my parents have forbidden me to get a gun. Apparently, they have the same idea about guns and motorcycles.... none while I live here.

Well, I appreciate all the advice and stuff, but my parents have forbidden me to get a gun. Apparently, they have the same idea about guns and motorcycles.... none while I live here.

Time to move, lol. JK, I know you're going to college and don't really have a choice.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to add to a lot of good advice:

If a person were to start with too large a caliber when they first start shooting a handgun, they can develop a nasty flinch. I see it at the range all the time..... They pull the trigger on an empty chamber and the muzzle comes forward and takes a dive in anticipation of recoil. These are usually the same people that ***** that their handgun "...shoots low from the factory." Just food for thought is all.

Go beretta all day long. 9mil ammo is way cheaper so you can get a lot of practice in without breaking the bank. Once you get the 9 then go up to 40cal or 45. That's when gun brand and quality comes into play. Stay away from Rock Armory brand they suck. H&K are my favorite along with Kimber.

here's the best part, before I came along they owned 2 or 3 .357s....

here's the best part, before I came along they owned 2 or 3 .357s....

Buy a gun, get your concealed weapon permit (you will learn a lot about safety and handling of a firearm as well as firing some rounds off) and keep it out of sight always around your folks. Who knows you might save their lives one day.

Honestly, it really doesn't matter what one you buy. Other than a couple of brands, all are pretty good quality and should serve you well. Just stick with a 9mm or above for defensive purposes, make sure it is comfortable in your hand, practice, practice, practice, and take a good Handgun 1 class. Take more classes as time and money allow. BTW, when practicing, don't just put rounds down range. Actually work on your technique and not learn bad habits. An old saying I live by when it comes to practice/training...

Train like you fight, fight like you train.
In a stressful shooting situation you WILL revert to your training so train the right way from the start!

Well if they don't want you to have a handgun, how about a rifle? AR-15 is a really good rifle.

Been reading this and would have to say that the folks who advise taking classes, going to the range and renting a weapon, and practice, practice, practice are on target. Considering that your situation dictates that you cannot own a weapon right now may be to your advantage. This gives you the time to learn good habits. Time to learn proper safety. Time to discover what you really like and dislike in a weapon. Remember that a handgun is just a tool and that any tool is useless if you don't know how to use it properly.

I learned on a 1911 almost thirty years ago. It would take me a while to tear it down and reassemble it after my last time twenty years ago, but I guarantee that I can still pick one up and empty a clip center mass because of training and practice. (And I probably still have the same habits, both good and bad).

Well, they seem to have no problem with me going to a range and letting off a couple hundred rounds. Btw, I don't know if anyone reccomended the glock 17, but damn that is a really heavy pull for every shot. I really liked the Springfield XD, don't know if it was the comp version or not though. Tomorrow, I'll probably get a chance to shoot the Beretta since it was taken when I was there. So, I know already I don't like DA guns, the Beretta feels nice and fits my hand great, and I prefer a lighter pull on a bigger gun.

That trigger flinch thing you told me about, happened a couple times but it was on the glock where I just didn't pull hard enough. Even with that, I still was shooting high.

I will say, Glock is a very decent firearm. But they do NOT fit everyone's hand. I would seriously go and hold one first before buying.

Also do NOT use +P ammo in a Glock or this can happen:

glock21kb1sh.jpg

Granted this can happen to any polymer gun just not Glocks. (S&W M&P, Springfield XD, etc)

Now I have owned a S&W M&P9 and I loved it except for one small thing, I found it way too light.

Seriously, if you run out of bullets it's best to have a gun you can pistol whip someone with :p

I will say, Glock is a very decent firearm. But they do NOT fit everyone's hand. I would seriously go and hold one first before buying.

Also do NOT use +P ammo in a Glock or this can happen:

glock21kb1sh.jpg

Granted this can happen to any polymer gun just not Glocks. (S&W M&P, Springfield XD, etc)

Now I have owned a S&W M&P9 and I loved it except for one small thing, I found it way too light.

Seriously, if you run out of bullets it's best to have a gun you can pistol whip someone with :p

Wow.

I have a Taurus 9mm. May not be a Sig, H&K,etc., but it's a pretty nice weapon for the price.

-
Back