A 1974 Duster - My 2nd one, 41 years later!

-
Here is what it looks like after removing the masking. If the rest of the car comes out like this, I will be very happy!
40993487152_7ecc109e45_b.jpg
IMG_4901 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

27164167478_39ba552526_b.jpg
IMG_4893 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

39226383490_cc7c9d818a_b.jpg
IMG_4894 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

39226381050_3cbc2d6b47_b.jpg
IMG_4899 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

39226382140_fb189641ca_b.jpg
IMG_4898 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

Thanks JD....I agree, I am very happy with the way the fenders came out!
I was thinking I'll just leave them on and tape them off. The cowl is going to be Black after I do all the green. And yes Black around the windows connecting to the cowl, down the doors and fenders. I'll paint the Black over the green, so green car is next on the agenda.

Last edited:
DOH!!! I knew you were doing the black, but it slipped my mind. It will be easier to tape up to do the black with the doors still off, and the fender black will be easier to do with them bolted on. I don't envy you having to tape the line around the quarter windows......that's gonna be a BE-OTCH! :eek:

^ I'll paint everything that is left on the car green next (everything but not the cowl). I'll hang the doors back on (they are already painted green). With the doors back on I will be able the pull a straight line with 1/4" striping tape around the windows and down the door line and fender line....at least that is my plan.

Last edited:
It's a wrap! Got it all covered, lil' closer to spraying the car. Looks like I have plenty of base, might have to order some more clear, don't want to run out. Went over the whole car with 800 wet this morning. Rear wheels come off tomorrow, car goes on jack stands, and I'll mask off the whole under side.

27208663718_84569a1a7b_b.jpg
IMG_4905 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

41080816941_397b6cc16b_b.jpg
IMG_4906 by Alexl5280, on Flickr

do you have any of the hardware left over from the original rear bumper?.....bolts, nuts , clips, etc?

no problem....just looking for some small stuff to finish off the California Flash restoration. Normally, I would pitch the big bumper stuff.

I would tape the paper to the floor if you are not going to wet the floor down.

I think I will keep the floor wet down.

I needed more Clear so I just ordered it.......so can't spray this weekend. Looks like the big day is Sat. April 7th!

I have painted alot of cars, and the worst thing ever is loose paper flipping up on the fresh paint.

Also put a strip of paper over the plastic on the front end, that plastic will attract dust, then blow back on the paint.
Not being critical, just trying to share some mistakes I have made.

Looks like you're ready! Dumb question? Do you have a walk board type thing to stand on to reach across the top to paint? If you're 6' 9" tall, you may be able to reach across....lol. I'm 6' tall, but I don't know if I could reach the middle of the roof with a car up on stands to be able to do the bottom of the rockers like you need to. It may just be an optical illusion with the pics. I have learned that I can keep the floor wet enough with my bean sprayer that I take to the drag strip....lol.

Waiting on the Clear to arrive. April 7th is spray day.
I will build some sort of "make shift walk board/scaffolding"...I'm only 5" 11"...so I am challenged with the same issue you are talking about: The roof and reaching to the middle.

Maybe a safety harness and a friend to hold you back as you lean over the roof???

Last edited:
Waiting on the Clear to arrive. April 7th is spray day.
I will build some sort of "make shift walk board/scaffolding"...I'm only 5" 11"...so I am challenged with the same issue you are talking about: The roof and reaching to the middle.

Maybe a safety harness and a friend to hold you back as you lean over the roof???
You could always dangle a midget from the ceiling. :D lol

-
Back