A different perspective on "THE BLACK GHOST" by UTG.

-
That would not surprise me considering it was home to ALL the factory engineers in the 60s/70s . You know some of them were using Woodward as a testbed .
I would imagine there were different classes of racing and maybe the ghost was reveared among the average cars . ???
Exactly

That would not surprise me considering it was home to ALL the factory engineers in the 60s/70s . You know some of them were using Woodward as a testbed .
I would imagine there were different classes of racing and maybe the ghost was reveared among the average cars . ???
The lower ranks knew where to go to win races, and where not to go to get your *** handed to you. My Dad frequented Telegraph Rd., both for a matter of convienence (it was only a mile away), and probably because he knew he could win races there. His car was running 12:30 in completely stock condition, a formidable car at the time, and even now.

Here's my take on this, not that it matters, but anyway, I have watched the Black Ghost video, and followed the story as much as I could. Just because the story claims that the car was never beaten in a street race doesn't mean that it ever ran against the fastest cars out there. Godfrey Qualls, the original owner was a Detroit cop, so he likely knew where the really fast cars were and where they played. At the end of the day, unless a person was there, as a couple members here were, how the hell can anyone say whether or not there is truth to the story.
It's a great car, the buyer is happy, and intends to keep it in the public eye, so what else matters?

The lower ranks knew where to go to win races, and where not to go to get your *** handed to you. My Dad frequented Telegraph Rd., both for a matter of convienence (it was only a mile away), and probably because he knew he could win races there. His car was running 12:30 in completely stock condition, a formidable car at the time, and even now.
What did your dad drive ?

In the end you people are listening to a washed up youtuber, that at one point used a mallet to hit in a camshaft in a fresh hemi block that the owner if the GTX had just spent a grip of money on at the machine shop. I thought his stuff was informative in the beginning but left after his bs and how he used others for profit gain.
In the end the buyer of the car had the money and bought it, end of story.

What did your dad drive ?
This….

You can see in the last picture his secret to success, he would jack the torsion bars up all the way in the front for better weight distribution to the rear tires. Another “secret” of his was that he ran H series tires on the back. Otherwise, the car was bone stock, as delivered right off the truck. It came through Fox Hills C/P in Plymouth Michigan, and they had a pretty successful racing program. He also worked with the wife of a Chrysler exec, who had the car “followed” down the line when it was built. There is no telling what was done to the car along the line, but according to Dad, they hand picked the motor that went into the car, which was dyno’d along with 4 other motors to find the best one. All speculation at this point, and Dad is a spinner of yarns sometimes, but the fact remains that is did indeed run 12:30 as you see it, and was runner up at the Summernationals in 1970.

The stickers were removable, a fact that he is really proud of even to this day.

9EFE264E-1669-4660-8EC9-5D5AC7ED8EBE.jpeg

056545D4-25DA-486D-98F4-9169866DC872.jpeg

1880DFFE-0C57-4D4E-B722-014DB5CBB553.jpeg

ABC8DC68-5728-4BD7-A6CE-02B24C923770.jpeg

238F0389-8E8F-44F7-93DA-06AC28B1F53F.jpeg

Last edited:
This….

You can see in the last picture his secret to success, he would jack the torsion bars up all the way in the front for better weight distribution to the rear tires. Another “secret” of his was that he ran H series tires on the back. Otherwise, the car was bone stock, as delivered right off the truck. It came through Fox Hills C/P in Plymouth Michigan, and they had a pretty successful racing program. He also worked with the wife of a Chrysler exec, who had the car “followed” down the line when it was built. There is no telling what was done to the car along the line, but according to Dad, they hand picked the motor that went into the car, which was dyno’d along with 4 other motors to find the best one. All speculation at this point, and Dad is a spinner of yarns sometimes, but the fact remains that is did indeed run 12:30 as you see it, and was runner up at the Summernationals in 1970.

The stickers were removable, a fact that he is really proud of even to this day.

View attachment 1716094946

View attachment 1716094947

View attachment 1716094948

View attachment 1716094949

View attachment 1716094950
Awesome ! 12.30 is exactly what my 70 Charger ran with a 440-6 ,mild roller , headers thru 2.5” out the back and 3.55s.
Dont suppose you still have it ?

Awesome ! 12.30 is exactly what my 70 Charger ran with a 440-6 ,mild roller , headers thru 2.5” out the back and 3.55s.
Dont suppose you still have it ?
No, sadly it’s been gone since 1971, when both my parents were laid off from their jobs at Burroughs. They freaked out and traded the car in on a /6 3 speed Duster. The RR was last seen up on blocks with the motor pulled, behind Shelley’s Chicken in old town Plymouth. Undoubtably overwound and damaged the motor. We have been looking for it ever since.

A slight time discrepancy???????

LOL
Well I suppose its possible Tony remembers who drove what in his neighborhood at 10 years old, but Detroit wasn't his neighborhood, and there was no YT /Internet etc. in the 70s for him to have real time info on what was going on in Detroit. I believe Tony said of the "Black Ghost" something to the effect of "if this car was an actual street racer, I would have known about it..." But, my point is Tony is repeatedly full of **** ,all you have to do is listen and pay attention when he talks. It actually cracks me up the number of people who defend him in the internet, but people aren't as smart as they think they are,and Tony's fans like story time it doesn't matter whether its truth or not.

And he's probably laughing all the way to the Bank. :)
I
Hope he is..its too bad he only finally figured out how to make a living at 62 years of age... maybe he can use some of that money to buy some new clothes, get a haircut and a shave , go to the dentist and then buy a carton of class a cigarettes....I always say being cheap is a nasty habit that's hard to break...:)

I still say UTube is either informative or just Hollywood BS or somewhere maybe in between or both!
UT is FABO's kickdog. That is not taking his side just a fun fact!
Like the guy said, when everyone stops talking about you, then your Hollywood career is over!!

Well I suppose its possible Tony remembers who drove what in his neighborhood at 10 years old, but Detroit wasn't his neighborhood, and there was no YT /Internet etc. in the 70s for him to have real time info on what was going on in Detroit. I believe Tony said of the "Black Ghost" something to the effect of "if this car was an actual street racer, I would have known about it..." But, my point is Tony is repeatedly full of **** ,all you have to do is listen and pay attention when he talks. It actually cracks me up the number of people who defend him in the internet, but people aren't as smart as they think they are,and Tony's fans like story time it doesn't matter whether its truth or not.
It’s TRUE! Story time is always a good time as long as the tale is interesting and you can sell it, it doesn’t matter what is true or not. It’s always the way you tell a tale. True or made up.
I

Hope he is..its too bad he only finally figured out how to make a living at 62 years of age... maybe he can use some of that money to buy some new clothes, get a haircut and a shave , go to the dentist and then buy a carton of class a cigarettes....I always say being cheap is a nasty habit that's hard to break...:)
Seen cheap ruin people. Being frugal is one thing, being cheap is completely different.
I still say UTube is either informative or just Hollywood BS or somewhere maybe in between or both!
UT is FABO's kickdog. That is not taking his side just a fun fact!
Like the guy said, when everyone stops talking about you, then your Hollywood career is over!!
Exactly! I Agree 100%.

You’re no longer relevant when they stop talking about you. That’s a YouTube, that’s a Hollywood!

During the course of this UT bashing and how other people ether say or scream about the amount of truth or BS coming out of his mouth, this scenario is also played out in real time in life.

My example is when myself or another fella I know show up to a car show and the local car nuts gather around and ask how much power the engine makes. After a grilling of every last part of the car they tell us we have no idea what we are talking about and our engines make less power than we think because they read it on the net. Sometimes from this very site.

But yet, I don’t remember them in the dyno room, tell them so, but yet they insist we have no clue what we are talking about. There steadfast in there convictions even though I repeat myself, “I don’t remember you in the dyno room!”

Here a hot example of morons telling me some unbelievable facts that I have no clue what I’m talking about and I’m a retard!

My car will ET or have the same 1/4 MPH with 4.30 gears as 2.94’s.

I’ve stopped going to mass car shows. I can’t take the morons anymore that are more accurate than the dyno. It’s also funny to here them argue who’s dyno is more accurate.

Welp, in my opinion, There are many different types of car enthusiasts. UTG is for the enthusiast who doesn't actually have a car and will never really ever have a car. The BS he does isn't practical, and his viewers cant afford it. Who these days in 2023 can afford to repeatedly fail over and over again... has anyone seen his fix for that bent 66 Charger left rear frame rail? unpractical butcher and hack car repair advice for an audience that will never ever repair anything, that's how he gets away with it. The visual is there though with that Charger, it actually looks like he straightened it out,even though structurally underneath the car is weak. What he should have done is removed that section of frame and weld in a new section, they make frame rails for those cars. Doing anything correctly is against UTG's Modus Operandi.

Last edited:
He doesn’t actually have a car? LMAO!
Ummmm, let’s see, the Charger, two Darts, …..
Or are unfinished cars not cars?

Like I said earlier, what he does I wouldn’t and don’t do.

The best cars Tony has in my opinion are the ones you hardly ever see on his show. I suspect his wife told him hands off they are to be sold later. His wife is actually the brains behind all of it. Now if I may give Tony any credit at all it is this, he is good at spraying single stage paint in his home garage he's done his orange 71 Dart and his green Duster so far. They were good videos. I bet it was 5 years Ago now though. But, yes the cars in his studio are junk, ;left over from his parting put business. someone said he has a hemi, he may have a 331 I do know he had a hemi head with a big hole in it. If Tony ever had any good performance engines he would have sold them that was his livelihood. If you notice he has the stuff no one wants slants 318s, 361...331 Hemi etc. the "boat anchor" engines of yesteryear.

LMAO! I think YT is his bread winner. Where is he selling parts? Not on line? IDK.

:lol: :thumbsup:

As far as Uncle Tonys cars, that Miata was an abortion ended up at the crusher. I don't think any of them would pass a legit state safety inspection or tech inspection at a track. That 66 Charger with that sawzall cut frame is sketchy...welded or not. BUT like said he does have decent cars he just doesn't use them for his show. I think he has a complete 67 Dart somewhere in his fleet also or he did. I truly believe his audience likes the junk cars...its strange to me but is what it is. There's a junk movement in the hobby that is way left of "rat rod" were talking moldy smelly nasty cars where you need a tetanus shot to drive or ride in them. Unsafe at any speed and its a good thing tonys cars sit still most of the time... :lol:

Last edited:
I suspect he doesn't touch any of his resalable cars because his wife told him not to... she knows hes a hack...:)

The blue 68 RR has a 70s smogger 400 in it where is the 335 HP 383? :)

I agree with the statement above, there are all different kinds of car guys out there, all who do things differently. I was brought up much like Tony, and I usually live in the old school way. Why? Because that’s the way I like it. While other guys are stripping their cars down to bare metal, and welding in new metal, dyno-ing their motors, buying the QA1 front ends, I like my manual drum brakes and manual steering. I want to live in that era again, like Sally said in the cars movie….”back then cars moved with the road, they didn’t drive to make time, they drove to have a good time”. The more I drive my original cars, the more I appreciate them, and if I can make a period correct fix over ripping the damn thing apart for a year for a couple hour job, I’m all about it.

Floor pan repair….the end of the crossmember was soft, got a good end stub that extended into fresh nice metal, over welded and gusseted and probably as good or better than new, and in went the floor pan. I remember a fellow saying “when you die in that abortion, I’ll buy the car and fix it right”! Nice try…..

438360BF-A5BE-4604-BA4A-AF8D9C1B19D4.jpeg

269DBD2E-3BEB-4294-8E61-EDC2B60563C7.jpeg

C317C017-2869-46DB-96D2-531D61DD07D7.jpeg

2B86D62D-6646-4C63-9315-FAEB93DD41E5.jpeg

1C5369B2-5C7C-43CD-A8EF-540C0E7AD6EE.jpeg

263B54D8-EB0C-49E2-AFBA-2A27186CB02E.jpeg

^^^^^Hell yea!!!!

Back in the 70s I had a Uncle Tony. He would tell me how his Hemi Cuda would run 200 mph, get 20 mpg, always out ran the cops, but it did go even faster after he sold of the 2 fours and replaed them with 4 fours!!!!

I also remember guys like Uncle tony. They usually had a car in a back alley garage that never went any where. It would be 1981 or 2 and they'd have a 65 Comet V8 car that "they were going to drag race some day". The most that ever got done was, a coat of rattle can red primer and Pep Boys chrome exhaust tips ... and, when they tried to pull it out and do a burn out it popped farted and stalled and we'd help him push it back in the garage...:)

Sorry … I had to disagree with that because I don’t think you have to pay much attention to figure out he is full of **** …lol

-
Back