About to build my diff- What limited slip?

-

RAMM

Reaction score
Like the title says- the 6 gear Tru-Trac looks nice but does it work well and for how long? What do you recommend that's actually available? Oh and this is for a more road course- spirited driving application- not slicks and dragstrip stuff. More like real street use but don't want clicking/whining/chattering or axle breakers. Real world advice would be fantastic. Cheers, J.Rob

Cass at Dr Diff will hook you up.

I already have a full cart there and ready to pull the trigger, but he only seems to have the Tru-Trac in stock, just wanted to know how well that thi g works in the real world. Or if it was to be avoided. J.Rob

Oh and this is for a more road course- spirited driving application- not slicks and dragstrip stuff. More like real street use but don't want clicking/whining/chattering or axle breakers.
Then I'd stick with a good old clutch-type Sure Grip ("Powr-lok"). Smooth, quiet, durable and rebuildable. And in stock.

I already have a full cart there and ready to pull the trigger, but he only seems to have the Tru-Trac in stock, just wanted to know how well that thi g works in the real world. Or if it was to be avoided. J.Rob
I have no personal experience with them, but I'll stick with the rebuildable clutch type units.

Your no-clicking rules out my recommendation, a Detroit locker. (Love mine!)
Frankly, for the use you describe, I would get a nice rebuild of a clutch style sure grip and fly it.
Rusty and Fate BOTH tree'd me! (I was playing in a poker tournament on line, lol)

Is it in stock? Didn't seem to be this morning. J.Rob
upload_2022-9-10_20-8-30.png

A stock 742 case sure grip is becoming hard to find special parts for. NO new spider gears are available, (Roy, SGBARRACUDA (RIP), built my 742 and spent a long while looking for spiders. He finally found one used). The clutches can be had from Dr Diff for a 9 1/4 that requires slight modification .to work in a 742. 8 3/4
I would go with the power lock

Last edited:
I would use this. It's like a Torsen, err Tru Trac, but supposedly more reliable. Call Cass and ask him about it.
Mopar 8 3/4" (8.75) Helical Gear Sure-Grip ("Sure-Trac")
My buddy has had a Gleason Torsen in the Dana 60 in his '70 Cuda for more than 30 years. He's never touched it since installation. Super smooth, full-time Sure Grip. It's a 440, 4 speed car, and he has been known to beat on it.

A stock 742 case sure grip is becoming hard to find special parts for. NO new spider gears are available, (Roy, SGBARRACUDA (RIP), built my 742 and spent a long while looking for spiders. He finally found one used). The clutches can be had from Dr Diff for a 9 1/4 that requires slight modification .to work in a 742. 8 3/4
I would go with the power lock
The clutch type spider gear sets Dr Diff has in stock.The cone type are getting impossible to find. I think I have TWO good ones out of a PILE.

I have used three PowerTrax LSDs, but not in Chrys rear ends. Work very well. Virtually indestrucible. Not clutches to wear out. I have heard that the True Tracs are weak, saw a pic of one that failed.

I have used three PowerTrax LSDs, but not in Chrys rear ends. Work very well. Virtually indestrucible. Not clutches to wear out. I have heard that the True Tracs are weak, saw a pic of one that failed.
The Powertrax ain't an LSD, it's locker guts that replace the internal carrier gears and turn it into a Detroit style locker. There's nothing "limited" about it. It's either locked, or open.

I should have been more specific. There are at least two versions of the PowerTrax. I was referring to the NoSlip which is an LSD.

I should have been more specific. There are at least two versions of the PowerTrax. I was referring to the NoSlip which is an LSD.
If you look on their web site, they have added more stuff. Actually it's not an LSD. It's a hybrid. You're right though, it doesn't have clutches. I still call it a locker. Here's what they say about it along with a diagram. "I" do not see an LSD. But you can call it whatever you like. lol
No-Slip Traction System - PowerTrax

-
Back