Adam's Scamp

-
I did my best to open the intake up. port matched, plenum cut down using the old DC mods. Should flow pretty good.

Yes you did. I wouldn't worry about it too much. To keep the sleeper look concessions have to be made. It's just part and parcel to the game. :)

I like the idea of a mopar carb on a mopar. :headbang:
Looking good AdamR , Thanks for a great thread.
Now lets get her in and fire it up. :blob:

Well ok you can take a short break :clock:

I bid on one on ebay. It was barnd new in the plastic still.
1000cfm comp series. I bid $350 and it sold for over $400.

This carb was built for my car I paid $350 for it including the core charge.

$400 isn't bad for that. I've been turned off by ebay lately though. Unless I'm looking for something like that though. Either way, I can't really use it right now. All my money has been going to the Scamp.

Ebay usually pisses me off too. I never seem to win anything simply because theres to many people with more money then me.

We bought a lot of stuff for the house like sinks, vanities, faucets and such. The problem is it isn't really a store where if the stuff is defective or not want you need you can't really just return it. Since the prices aren't that much different than buying it at a store it's not that good of deal, especially if there is a problem.

So unless it's something that isn't made anymore than I'm not going there.

Wow, you've been busy! Does a thermoquad sit higher up, is that why you've made the holes in the air cleaner lid, because it's sitting down low and you want to increase air flow?

65s said:
Wow, you've been busy! Does a thermoquad sit higher up, is that why you've made the holes in the air cleaner lid, because it's sitting down low and you want to increase air flow?

No, The holes are there because otherwise there is only a gap around the bottom of the air cleaner for the air to enter. Theres no filter in the picture also.

Ok, Heres the big update.

I finally got the guts to paint the engine bay myself. Its not perfect, theres runs, a few drips some dirt and a couple tight spots that didnt cover perfect but it looks tons better and with everything bolted down its hard to notice. Im very happy with it and learned enough that the next time I paint I know I'll have a better finish.

I think last time I ordered paint I was given Y8 which is much more gold then the correct Y9. Not sure if I asked for the wrong code or not. I spent some time sanding down the last attempt then wiped it down with wax and grease remover. I covered the entire car with a sheet of 3M paintable pastic and masked off the engine bay.

IM000060.jpg

IM000061.jpg

I then shot 2 coats of gray epoxy primer. My primer gun must have some old paint clogged in it because it sprayed inconsistent and I ended up with some rough textured areas. After the primer dried I sanded it down with 320grit for the rough spots then scuffed the rest with a green scotch brite pad.

IM000063.jpg

IM000064.jpg

The next day I wiped it all down again and shot 3 medium wet coats od color.

I used single stage Urethane that I bought from http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/ From what I have been told they are slapping there own label on PPG products.

IM000075.jpg

IM000074.jpg

Today I spent the day installing the motor and trans. The TTI headers went in nice and easy. Plenty of room to install the mini starter with the headers bolted up.

IM000087.jpg

IM000088.jpg

IM000089.jpg

I still have a lot of small things to bolt up and fix but this was a huge step in getting this car going.

I gave a few more painting projects planned as well. Im going to do the hood, and the filler panel that goes between the grill and bumper and maybe the trunk floor as well.

It pays to be brave. Looking good Adam. The sleeper look is coming alive. I dig it.

Looking good Adam, it`s all down hill from here. How did you get that last picture, were you having an out of body experience?

Adam if you want those headers to continue to look good after you`ve fired the engine, then first clean them really good with soapy water and remove all of the grease. I cleaned mine well but continued doing things to the engine and inadvertently touched them with my greasy hands.You can now see everywhere I touched them they turned blue.

adam looks good i bought that car in carlisle last year had john debella haul it back and sold it to him, it is a pretty clean car its nice to have one that clean to start!! he still has your cuda last i knew. brett

Last I knew John had taken a deposit on the Barracuda.

Do you know any history on the Scamp ? This thing still amazes with how clean it is.

not much guy i bought it from is terry fong he is from cali comes to carlisle every year with one car and a bunch of sheet metal not sure how he aquired the car he didn't say.

Thanks, I'll try and track him down and see if he knows anything about it. Sounds like hes just a flipper though.

It looks like I can fire this pig up next weekend. I just have a few loose ends to tie up. Waiting for my 3/8" fuel line from Fine lines. Still need a new dip stick tube for the transmission, and a small loan to buy the needed Cam2.

IM000249.jpg

I also checked out all the electrical today. Everything works, lights, horn gauges and even the annoying key buzzer.

Next I'll tackle the front suspension. Its getting RMS control arms and F body spindles and the rear I would like to get a complete Cal-Trac set up.

The interior is just about done other then the seat covers and front door panels.

The small odds and ends are killing me. Little stuff really adds up fast and Ive got some great deals from members here.

IM000249.jpg

IM000249.jpg

Im headding out to the shop tonite (waiting for this kid to bring a trailer so he can buy my 73 today) and I will have the tube and the door pannels cleanned up and have some pics up Monday nite at the latest for ya. It's looking good, I just need the motivation to get my girlfriends 72 done now.

-
Back