Advice on disc brakes 66 Barracuda

-

r_shaker

Reaction score
Hey I just bought a 66 Barracuda that has a 383 in it. I was looking to add Disc brakes with a power booster master cylinder. But was wonder if anybody knew which one would fit, the master cylinder ,with out power booster, in the engine compartment now extends out and just clears the manifold by an inch. I'm new to this so any help is appreciate.
Thanks

Hey Shaker, welcome to FABO!! A picture of your current setup would go a long way to be able to see what you're dealing with! I have disc on my 66 and run a MC from a 69 Dart manual disc application! I have manual disc brakes however, so a picture is really needed here, especially with a big block! Geof

...knew which one would fit, the master cylinder ,with out power booster, in the engine compartment now extends out and just clears the manifold by an inch ...
Lost you on this question. Were two sentences intended?
I understand that everyone who puts a BB/RB in an A-body must use a manual MC. Early A's have an even narrower engine bay, so probably more true. I understand there were a few factory 383 Darts sold (early A too?). I don't know if any had power brakes, though seems irresponsible to sell to the public that way. Anyway, you can mount many modern booster/MC's to Dart stand-off brackets. I used a 90's cloud car booster, but it barely clears my 273 valve cover (my avatar), so no hope for you. Look at boosters in smaller cars. Many today are thin pancake type. Also, look pre-2000 when they still used dbl- flare ports, so easier to plumb.

I have a small block in my 66 cuda but I do have a power disc brake set up. I bought it that way. I will look at the p/n's if that will help.

383 66 cuda? never seen a slock early a body with a b or rb engine. too narrow, I thought. I have a 67 dart with 440, forget power brake setup. no room.

If it has a 383 in it I would certainly put disc brakes on it. Does it have a single or dual master cylinder on it?

Tim its not stock. I think 67 was.the first year for a cuda to have a 383. But its in this 66.

Pics

Attachments

• img20141215_230424.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 136
  • shareimage20141215_225835.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 150
Very nice car..

I'd like to suggest going to a newer style 7/8 bore M/C, you'll likely find the smaller bore to give you much better "mechanical advantage"/leverage that will give much less pedal effort, and better "feel".... then if you feel you need more assist,, larger wheel cyls may be an option..

Just as a thrifty alternative to power assist.. which does not give you better brakes,, just less effort..

seasons best..

Those rims look nice on that car. Welcome to the Early-A shoehorn club! I dont think any power assist will fit short of a hydro-boost out of an Astro Van. Try to shoot us a better pic of the driver exhaust log. Thats the sticking point on many A-B/RB installs.

-
Back