Annoying 727

-

plymouth1937

Reaction score
I have a issue whid my tranny on the truck bb 727 al stock in trans,when cold it pulls normal in drive from say 1000 rpm but when its wormed up from a stand still i have to rev it up a bit like 1400 rpm and it jumps like a frog when it pops in to gear,any id whats up whit that realy annoying issue

Iv checkt the level and its spot on new tranny fluid to
and you're sure it has the correct dipstick and tube? i'd be tempted to add a pint or more to see if it helped. you can always drain it back out if not. i've bought some trans' in the past that had the wrong 'stick/tube fitted so i don't assume anymore.

Toque convertor draining during rest. It is common for these units to drain some fluid from the torque convertor into the pan during non-op. Basically the convertor will be low on oil. Upon engaging a drive gear there will be a hesitation until the convertor first fills with oil to allow and engage the clutches. This is more pronounced when resting in the park position. Common practice is to put it in neutral and rev the engine slightly to fill the convertor and then engage D or R. The problem should not occur again until tomorrow after it has rested overnight.

His problem occurs after warm up, not cold. My bet would be fluid level or more likely an internal leak (since he says fluid level is good).

Last edited:
I agree with above. First trans (904) I rebuilt, I got in a hurry to put it all together. I tore a lip seal, and in reverse, the trans acted like it had a high stall speed converter. Had to rev it, it would slam, then move. it was my own, so all it cost for that lesson, was a lot of time and a few gaskets.

-
Back