Any 10 second "All Throttle" 318's in door cars ?

-
And I should just say, thanks for those that put some good info out there on this topic in this thread. Actual builds, articles, and or even what your thoughts were on a "wild 318".
:thumbsup:

I don't really get the cost and hardness factor, most 408 builds are stock block and aftermarket everything else and a similar 360 build might use stock crank too, other than possible piston cost,
What so difficult and or more expensive for the parts for a 318 build ?
I would expect that a 318 to reach 500 hp (comfortable number to run tens) would need lots of compression (race gas?), big roller cam (not cheap, not so streetable) GREAT heads, (not cheap) and plenty of carb, and maybe a tunnel ram.
I think a cast crank 408 would not need the expensive version of those parts, nor the street unsuitability. Just a much nicer street combo, for (I think) less money than a 500hp 318.

I would expect that a 318 to reach 500 hp (comfortable number to run tens) would need lots of compression (race gas?), big roller cam (not cheap, not so streetable) GREAT heads, (not cheap) and plenty of carb, and maybe a tunnel ram.
I think a cast crank 408 would not need the expensive version of those parts, nor the street unsuitability. Just a much nicer street combo, for (I think) less money than a 500hp 318.
Doable with at least 11.1 comp, 300 cfm head, solid cam in the 255 @.050 range and a ported single plane.
Probably could get by with a little less cfm head, a little. lol

There was an AHRA class champion B body ( IIRC 68 Coronet) out here that ran mid 10s with a 318 and W2s. In fact I have his old 904 in my Barracuda.

Doable with at least 11.1 comp, 300 cfm head, solid cam in the 255 @.050 range and a ported single plane.
Probably could get by with a little less cfm head, a little. lol

You can hit 500 HP pretty easy with a GOOD 250 CFM. Probably a bit less than that even IF you get all your poo in one pile.

You can hit 500 HP pretty easy with a GOOD 250 CFM. Probably a bit less than that even IF you get all your poo in one pile.
I know. lol but I'm wanting to build a screamer. well not me. lol

There was an AHRA class champion B body ( IIRC 68 Coronet) out here that ran mid 10s with a 318 and W2s. In fact I have his old 904 in my Barracuda.

What class allowed a W2 headed 318??

There was a time when the AHRA was just a better deal than NHRA. Actually many times.

I know they had a 2 barrel class, but I can’t think of what eliminator it’s fit in. That was back in 1980 and 1981.

What class allowed a W2 headed 318??

There was a time when the AHRA was just a better deal than NHRA. Actually many times.

I know they had a 2 barrel class, but I can’t think of what eliminator it’s fit in. That was back in 1980 and 1981.
We use to run the World Finals in Spokane back when. if you look closely you can see an AHRA sticker on my wing window in my avatar.

I know. lol but I'm wanting to build a screamer. well not me. lol
I think an all throttle 318 in an all steel Duster (3350 lbs w/driver) in the high 11's would be considered a "scream'n 318" by 99% of mopar folks, including this site.

Again, me personally I won't be setting any goals.

If it's worth building it's worth some sorta goal.
I don't know if I've done anything in life without some sorta goal. realistic as most are.

If it's worth building it's worth some sorta goal.
I don't know if I've done anything in life without some sorta goal. realistic as most are.
hogwash :D
build it and give it the beans !!

hogwash :D
build it and give it the beans !!
There are good recipes and bad. you can eat a bad recipe if you want, but not me. lol
Why not follow a basic recipe, it should still be good. :D

There are good recipes and bad. you can eat a bad recipe if you want, but not me. lol
Why not follow a basic recipe, it should still be good. :D
Somebody invented Pizza .... for the first time... a new recipe !!! Boy, ain't I glad !!

We use to run the World Finals in Spokane back when. if you look closely you can see an AHRA sticker on my wing window in my avatar.
This car was out of Spokane .It ran in the 70s and 80s.
Dennis Radford out of Baker City bought it in the mid 80s and ran it for many years here in the Northwest. Then he went big with Pro Mod Vipers and Dakotas etc….

NO Boost or Bottle ... ... any door cars going 10's on a 3.31 stroke 318 ?? .030 or .060 over fine, but the 318 block and 318 stroke
  • I know we have 11 second street car 318's
  • Asking because I am "pondering"
  • IF you are in the 10's, care to share your combo ??
Wasn’t Don Gould’s 66 Cuda a 318 car that ran 10-11 sec times? It was documented at his FBO ignition website. He was always proud his 318 was putting the hurt on big block cars.

Wasn’t Don Gould’s 66 Cuda a 318 car that ran 10-11 sec times? It was documented at his FBO ignition website. He was always proud his 318 was putting the hurt on big block cars.
Welcome aboard!

I do think you’re correct. Do you remember his screen name exactly?

I am unaware of this car, I will have to check it out soon. Thanks!

Didn’t Bob Mazzolini have a mid 10 sec 318? I thought he raced a few different classes in NHRA in the late 80’s through the 90’s.

Sorry if its been alread stated or asked...skipped ahead to ask a question.

Have you talked to mopar Joe. I thought he had a fast 318 originally in that 68 barracuda.

here's a video i found. Is Gary a member?

Sorry if its been alread stated or asked...skipped ahead to ask a question.

Have you talked to mopar Joe. I thought he had a fast 318 originally in that 68 barracuda.

here's a video i found. Is Gary a member?

I know justmoparjoe, he's a friend. That video you posted has some controversy about it.... I think it has a 4" arm in it. Don't remember the details or the whole story, but I remember something about it.

-
Back