Any Old School Machinists Here?

-

This shows how it is done in detail by the machinist that does Big Chiefs and Daemons race engines using a non conventional align boring machine with specific purpose tooling and fixture-ing.

Last edited:
Well if the O/P's buddy has the fixturing he's all set.... But my guess is he has something like is shown in this video...

ANY time you replace the main caps you will have to align bore/hone the block/caps AND deal with the thrust. I have several blocks with various brands of aftermarket caps and studs.

Performing this operation on a boring bar would, IMO, be a mistake and way too time consuming. Also you will need a fixture to cut the caps similar to fitting a connecting rod. As touched on above you will have to adress the thrust especially if you have the later block with larger thrust surface. The last step is checking the seal retainer and timing set fitment.

I know people slap engines together and they run so there is that. My time and money are too hard to come by to dismiss steps like a proper align bore/hone. Same reason I seek out the Sunnen CK-10 at a machine shop instead of my old Sunnen bar and hone setup.

If you have the time, patience and enough beer it could be done in the right shop with the wrong equipment. You better have a primo dial bore gage to check the work!

Have a big block 440 looking to get built but I am installing after market main caps, main cap studs and girdle. I need an align bore and hone done. Local machine shop said they r 8 months behind. Friend with a boring bar that has bored cylinder walls for me in the past said he could do it with a boring bar.

I've never heard of using a boring bar for main caps? If this can be done would the mains need honed after bored? Is there any advantage to wait and have it done by a professional machine? Didn't want to wait 8 months but maybe boring bar for main caps is something that has been done for years and I'm just not aware of it
I am no machinist, but it doesn't sound kosher. However, I would completely trust the word of this guy Danny Soliz (@dansoliz) • Instagram photos and videos He owns a machine/performance shop nearby. You can find him on YT, Insta, FB etc. He is old school, learned from older school and knows motors. It you message him on Insta, I would be surprised if you did not get a response in a day or two.

The guy could use a friend to run the camera.
Hey, I never said it was a great video... Just shows the equipment that I believe the O/P's buddy likely has which is also the equipment I was trained on back in the 70's...

According to this chart. Poly's are 75+ pounds more than a 340.

1700659184142.png

machine shops around here always tell me there a year out.so i got in a habit now just buy engines thats already done

-
Back