Any soda junkies out there?

-
I've never been a big pop drinker, but do subscribe to the "everything in moderation" way of life! I have been the same weight since high school 188-195lb, and if I do happen to have a pop because it's the only thing spitting out of the fountain machine, it takes me about 3 days to drink a 16oz cup!! Yes, I'll still drink it after 3 days, cause I'm cheap and it costs me money! I drink Arizona Ice Tea most of the time, and drink about 1/2' of the can and fill it back up with water! That system will also last me about 3 days, I buy one every Wednesday for practice, still have some in the can this morning!!

I don't rely on will power, I just don't do it if I don't want to!! The others on my crew will buy a 24oz cup, drink the whole thing and refill it to go!! I simply can't drink that much liquid no matter what it is!! I don't care how good or bad something is for you, if you listen to everything you read or hear, you'll never leave the closet!! You know your body better than anybody, do what's best for you!!!

Arizona Ice Tea for me,prefer Palmer's half & half. ...Seriously good info,in this thread, like old-fashioned R.C. cola myself.

Here is what you can do to kick the habit (coming from experience that is). Everytime you desire a coke or soda, have a glass of water and put a loonie (sorry, dollar for you american folks) in a jar. I was at about 7 coke per day. 7 coke x 1$ x 30 days in a month = $210. Then go spend that on car parts!

I used to hate to drink water. We got a water delivery service (Sparklettes) and now I can't get enough of it. At about $1 a gallon it has replaced the pop, juice, and tea drinks we used to buy.

It is a leap for most folks, especially since water comes out of the faucet. But once you have cool drinking water you won't want pop anymore. Beer.....now that is another story.

:pukel::pukel::pukel:

There was a time when I hated to drink water, it would almost make me gag. Once I found what coke (sodas) and juices were doing to me I decided to try and learn how to like water. It's been about two years now and I can't hardly stand to drink anything but water. After many, many hours of research I figured out how bad all the sugary stuff was for me. Now I really enjoy water because it's basically saving my life!!

Treblig

Good thing about quitting soda is that they taste like **** once you've gone without for about a month.

I use prilosec now but the backing soda does work instantly. It's also good for throwing on the ground and making your buddy think he just found a large sack of cocaine.

I used to drink 2 litres of Pepsi every night. Always had bad headaches, turned out that it was caused by the caffeine in the pop. Stopped drinking the pop, not only did the headaches disappear, but I also lost some unwanted weight.

Good thing about quitting soda is that they taste like **** once you've gone without for about a month.

I use prilosec now but the backing soda does work instantly. It's also good for throwing on the ground and making your buddy think he just found a large sack of cocaine.

Have you raised the head of your bed as discussed earlier?? You'll be very surprised and it also helps with sinus allergies by helping to keep the sinuses more clear when you sleep.

Treblig

Wow Gilbert! So glad things are working out for you. I quit drinking sodas (regularly) many years ago and it has been a plus. I can't get my wife to stop drinking the damn diet coke though. I keep telling her it is poison so keep the life insurance up! I bought some of the Mexican coke to use with a shot of rum every now and then. I still have to be careful of the carbs though or glucose shoots up to 300 pretty quick. The best I've ever felt was when I was basically on the Atkins diet. It also seemed to improve mental acuity a good deal.

I used to drink 2 litres of Pepsi every night. Always had bad headaches, turned out that it was caused by the caffeine in the pop. Stopped drinking the pop, not only did the headaches disappear, but I also lost some unwanted weight.

I had the same problem with drinking alcohol!! Whether it was beer or margaritas (which I love) or even wine. I would get a massive headache even after one beer. I could drink 5 margaritas with no problem but I would wake up later that night with a splitting headache and lose many hours of sleep. But it wasn't until I went on my low sugar, low carb diet that I found the culprit. For 50 years I thought is was the alcohol giving me the headache!! I was absolutely wrong!!! It was the additives in the beer, wine and margarita mix (carbs and sugar). Now I can drink all the alcohol I like with no headache. Crown Royal with a little diet coke (no sugar and no carbs) and NO HEADACHE!!
It's really amazing how you think you know everything only to find that you know nothing!!

Treblig

I really have issues with aspartame. I started drinking the sugar free minute maid cherry limeaid a few years ago and within a day or two I started having MS symptoms in my right arm and was losing control of it! As soon as I quit the soft drink my arm returned to normal.... ( it may have a little to do with my allergy to bee-wasp venom. I had a bad bite on that arm 30 years ago and it swelled up pretty bad.)

Wow Gilbert! So glad things are working out for you. I quit drinking sodas (regularly) many years ago and it has been a plus. I can't get my wife to stop drinking the damn diet coke though. I keep telling her it is poison so keep the life insurance up! I bought some of the Mexican coke to use with a shot of rum every now and then. I still have to be careful of the carbs though or glucose shoots up to 300 pretty quick. The best I've ever felt was when I was basically on the Atkins diet. It also seemed to improve mental acuity a good deal.

You're correct about the diet coke, it's just as bad OR WORSE than regular coke. I use the "diet" coke to enhance the flavor of the Crown Royal but I use very little and ONLY once a week. So, in essence, I drink 1 1/2 small diet cokes a week. Otherwise I don't drink anything that's sweet or that even tastes sweet, not even 100 percent fruit juice (because it contains sugar). Water and more water.
I don't see a problem with drinking one (and only one) "regular" coke each week but one coke is hardly worth the trouble so I choose to drink NONE!!

treblig

Being diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago forced me to go sugar free in most things. Coke Zero is my pop of choice now (tastes closest to Coke, and Pepsi is flat out pi$$) although I might have 2 small cans a week at most.
For beer its Molson Canadian 67, low carb(70) zero sugar with 3.5% alcohol. Its the only beer I can find with nutrient label to compare.
Diabetes forced me to read nutrient labels. We could all do ourselves a favor and be more informed on the **** we put in our stomachs. GMO, sugars, aspartame, chemicals etc.
I go thru huge withdrawal..chips, candy, chocolate bars, cookies.
At the rate Im going looks like Arrowroot cookies and plain Cheerios..dammit!

Have you raised the head of your bed as discussed earlier?? You'll be very surprised and it also helps with sinus allergies by helping to keep the sinuses more clear when you sleep.

Treblig

I quit chewing tobacco and sodas. I will have half a sprite and some lime Gin mostly every afternoon. But the heart burn and headaches are gone now. Prilosec works great but you must stay on it. B soda works instantly but too much trouble to carry around.

But yeah you're right about sleeping proped up.

drank diet mt. dew, and diet coke, continually for years with burning stomach acid, looked for something without aspartame, RC 10 has no caffine or aspartame, and if you like yeller dopes with caffine, diet sundrop has no aspartame

Arizona Ice Tea for me,prefer Palmer's half & half. ..

I don't drink a lot of soda, because I like to weigh <170 lbs, but I do drink a lot of Arnold Palmer. I have a Stanley vacuum mug that I fill with ice and tea, or just ice and water. I buy the tea by the gallon usually and just refill my mug.

On a side note.. I bought a can of Palmer a few months ago and take a look at what was underneath. The can was wrapped instead of printed (only Arnold Palmer I've ever seen like that) but I didn't expect to see this under the wrapper. It was weird.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 96
Being diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago forced me to go sugar free in most things. Coke Zero is my pop of choice now (tastes closest to Coke, and Pepsi is flat out pi$$) although I might have 2 small cans a week at most.
For beer its Molson Canadian 67, low carb(70) zero sugar with 3.5% alcohol. Its the only beer I can find with nutrient label to compare.
Diabetes forced me to read nutrient labels. We could all do ourselves a favor and be more informed on the **** we put in our stomachs. GMO, sugars, aspartame, chemicals etc.
I go thru huge withdrawal..chips, candy, chocolate bars, cookies.
At the rate Im going looks like Arrowroot cookies and plain Cheerios..dammit!

I know what you mean about withdrawal. I used to eat a LARGE box of chocolate covered cherries (the box with two layers) every couple of days (in one sitting). I would eat three or four large pieces of cake and scrape all the extra frosting off the cake platter to cover the parts (sides) of the cake pieces that were bare.. I used only drink coke (sodas) for breakfast lunch and dinner.....NO WATER AT ALL!! I should have been dead a long time ago!!!
I've always been slender and have never been able to gain weight no matter how much or what I ate. I thought I could eat anything and everything with no consequences....until I hit my late 50s. That's when I figured out that all the sugar and carbs were damaging my insides. Diverticulitis, reflux, intestinal polyps. But now the diverticulitis has disappeared completely, the reflux is gone and last time I got the lower GI everything was EXCELLENT!! Of course I've been on the low carb low sugar diet for well over a year now and I have no plans on stopping. The gastroenterologist told me to eat more fiber to help the diverticulitis, boy was he wrong!! Most foods that have lots of fiber also have lots of carbs/sugar, I thought I was going to die after I ate so many "fiber" foods.
If everyone only knew how much better they can feel without all that poison in their systems they would quit today. But I know in reality most will do as I did.......continue on the path to destruction until you feel so bad you have to stop.
Luckily, I saw the light!!

treblig

Prilosec?? generic is Omaprazine. I have terrible acid reflux, if I fail to take one every a m, its bouncing up into my lungs. I will ry the baking soda next/ this is the interesting thiong here.

on t v last coupe of days, it NOW seems like bad side effects taking this Primosec drug every day. maybe can cause dementure. they mention that higher doses of vit B12 might curb it ( nice they mention this)........

old cowboy once said : the last thing you learn, in generally the FIRST thing you should have learned"........ duh!??????

I gave up all soft drinks 20 years ago. Our son was doing triathlons and explained a few things about sugar water. I buy bottled water and take it everywhere I go. When I am in the shop working on the car, I drink 3 or 4 bottles a day. I am trying to avoid maintenance drugs and work out in a gym 2-3 times a week. My fasting bloodwork panels all come back right down the middle, but I work pretty hard at it. I do have a weakness for red wine on the weekends thoughO:)
DR:burnout:

All you guys on a steady diet of Prilosec (or equiv) make me just cringe. You can douse the flames with something all you want but isn't anyone interested in WHY they have chronic acid reflux/heartburn/etc? This is the very downfall of western medicine: treat the symptoms but F the cause. I would wager a guess that alot of you have a gluten intolerance that you haven't yet figured out. And, if that IS the case, you are doing damage that will surface later even if Prilosec is keeping you from feeling the pain along the way.

All you guys on a steady diet of Prilosec (or equiv) make me just cringe. You can douse the flames with something all you want but isn't anyone interested in WHY they have chronic acid reflux/heartburn/etc? This is the very downfall of western medicine: treat the symptoms but F the cause. I would wager a guess that alot of you have a gluten intolerance that you haven't yet figured out. And, if that IS the case, you are doing damage that will surface later even if Prilosec is keeping you from feeling the pain along the way.

I will have to look into the "gluten intolerance". I admit I have little confidence in the medical profession, especially as we age.......
sooner or later I will just "die off" and there are plenty of $$ to be had on other folks getting older. endless supply! ha

For anyone with light reflux, the kind you pop an occasional Rolaid for, try almonds. They're not only good for you but they cut the stomach acid.

I would get acid reflux so bad at times I would have food that would get caught in my esophagus. not go down.... primosec eliminates it. I drink NO pop. never have.

Ha..yeah this started out as a soda thread but, my, haven't we branched out!

Ha..yeah this started out as a soda thread but, my, haven't we branched out!

Hey, whatever works. I have no problem with others sharing their health tips. It's all for the greater good!

Here's an update on my situation: I have been drinking mostly water for the last several days, now. I have noticed that my stomach is nowhere near as bloated as it was, I haven't had any real heartburn issues, and I'm REALLY starting to like drinking water! I'm actually asking for it instead of Coke or Pepsi when we go out. I'm looking forward to weighing myself, because I'm pretty sure I've lost at least a couple of pounds, too.

I just hope I can keep this going. Good luck to all of you who are also struggling with this!

I can tell first hand why Coke (and other sodas) end up hurting your stomach and esophagus..........back in the late 70s my brother in law worked for one of the Coke processing plants. I would talk to him about his work every time I saw him. I will never forget when one day I asked him how things were going at work, he said, "Oh nothing spectacular, we're just in the process of replacing the grated catwalks around the coke containers". Me, not knowing exactly what he was talking about asked, "Why, is the plant so old that they're wore out??" He said, "Oh no, the plant is only 12 years old but you see...... up at the top of the stainless steel processing towers the workers have to "pour in" the barrels of concentrated Coke syrup." I said, "So?". He says, "Well every time they pour the syrup into the top of the tower of processors some of the syrup spills and it gets all over the metal grating where the workers stand". I said, " So don't they just clean them off every now and then, after all it's only syrup???.?" He said, "Oh yes they clean them quite frequently, it's company policy." "So why are you guys replacing them?", says I. He said, " The concentrated Coke syrup is so corrosive it eats away at the metal grating so much that they all have to be replaced every couple of years so that nobody falls to their death through the corroded metal grating" .

What's the moral of the story??? Well, if it eats metal like "acid" then it must BE ACID!! If it's acid and you put it in your stomach (which is made of soft tissue) what do you think happens in your stomach after years of exposure???

treblig

-
Back