Anybody running 17" Cobra Bullit rims on a Duster

-
Cool Michael! You got a good deal! Can't wait to see pics!

Wow Wracks! Mine only have a tiny bit of clearance with my aspen rear..

A 1" spacer would be a good fit with an A-body 8.25 in the back. I don't know if an A-body 8.75 would work, I never tried one personally. Here's a shot of a 17x8 +30mm wheel with a 255/45 mounted, pushed as far in as you can go - tire touching spring in the stock location:
Fit_007_Rear.jpg

Fit_008_Rear.jpg

Same tire & wheel, with a 1" spacer installed:
attachment.php

That's about 1/2" there, more than you probably need with a stiff sidewall tire.

YMMV, but that's what I got... With my current 65-67 B-body rear, I have a little too much rear clearance, over an inch. I need a little narrower rear to take full advantage of the stock wheel well on my Valiant.

Clair

Inner_Clearance.JPG

I used a 3/4 billet spacer on mine with an A-body 8.75 rear end. it cleared fine but there was more clearance on the outside of tire than the inside. With the later b-body rear the tires are almost perfectly centered, no spacers. I sold the spacers to my friend for his valiant build (the blue one), he's running an 8 1/4 rear end and the clearance between tire and springs is mighty close. Pretty sure the 8 1/4 rear end is a tad narrower than the 8.75.
pics are of my car using spacers, and my buddy's valiant build.

wheel pics 005_1.JPG

wheel pics 007_1.JPG

0421101833a.jpg

Jamesdart, Also remember there are different back spacing to different bullitt wheels. This could be why some people have no problems with a small spacer and some do. If you get 17x9 bullitt wheels, they have a backspacing of 6.8". But if you have the 17x8's, the backspacing is only 5.72". Then if you have the silver bullitt wheels, the backspacing on the 17x8 are 5.68". Then if you run 18's, the back spacing is different there as well. And the Cobra R wheels at 17x9 also have a seperat BS of 5.94". Take a look at this site: http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustangwheels.html
The websit is a little expensive, but if choose a rim it will give you all of the backspacings and measurements.

i bought my tire and rim package from american muscle. i went with 5.72 backspace and i needed a 3/4 spacer at minimum to clear my factory 8 1/4 rear. i couldnt find 3/4 so i went with 1". any more than 5.72 backspace would only make it worse. i believe wracks is using th esame black bullits as i am in 17x8 front 17x9 rear. i just dont want to see guys go out buying a set of bullits and think they can slap them on the car and be done. im not into the spacers so i went with a different rear that i wouldnt need to run them, we turned down the end of the hub on the rotor so i wouldnt need a spacer on the front.

I used a 3/4 billet spacer on mine with an A-body 8.75 rear end. it cleared fine but there was more clearance on the outside of tire than the inside. With the later b-body rear the tires are almost perfectly centered, no spacers. I sold the spacers to my friend for his valiant build (the blue one), he's running an 8 1/4 rear end and the clearance between tire and springs is mighty close. Pretty sure the 8 1/4 rear end is a tad narrower than the 8.75.
pics are of my car using spacers, and my buddy's valiant build.

Pauly,
I may have mentioned this before, but that's a damn fine looking car you've got there! Your friends' blue one is sweet, too. Elvira says 'hi' (again):
In_The_Park2-PSR-640.JPG

It would be nice to know the REAL width of the various A-body rears. I know there are some tables out there, but it seems like the 8.25's get overlooked or lumped in with the 8.75's. Then, when you add BBP axles to an A-body 8.75, it gets wider by about 3/8" if you go with OEM BBP axles, but there are A-body-size custom axles out there, too. When you're chasing that last 1/4" of clearance, this stuff gets important. Unfortunately the A-body 8.75 I had is long gone, and I took my 8.25 down to a friend's place just a couple months ago...

Clair

i sold my original 8 1/4 to a guy on here. i think it was caferacer. i didnt bother measuring it but he did before he bought it. i have an 8 3/4 in the garage i can measure.

Thanks Clair. i'm afraid if you saw it in its present condition you'd be weeping like I do when i look at it. its all stripped down inside and out for complete re-wire, updated lighting, updated interior, a four speed, and finally some much needed body work and paint. I'm really missing those summer cruises, of course its summer all the time here so i guess i just miss those weekend cruises.

unless someone put a wider rearend in before i got it,that's what it has!

I know that the big bolt axles add width, so you are wider than a stock A-Body axle. My buddy's 8.75" A-Body axle with green bearings measured 58" drum to drum. Not sure how much of that additional width is due to the green bearings, if any.

With a 10mm spacer, I would calculate a little over 1/4" clear (58" plus 2x .39" for the spacers minus 2x 6.36" backspacing minus 45.5" for the spring out to out distance leaves .57" clear total). Calculated the backspacing by taking half the section width plus the offset (275/2 + 24) and converting to imperial units.

I know that the big bolt axles add width, so you are wider than a stock A-Body axle. My buddy's 8.75" A-Body axle with green bearings measured 58" drum to drum. Not sure how much of that additional width is due to the green bearings, if any.

With a 10mm spacer, I would calculate a little over 1/4" clear (58" plus 2x .39" for the spacers minus 2x 6.36" backspacing minus 45.5" for the spring out to out distance leaves .57" clear total). Calculated the backspacing by taking half the section width plus the offset (275/2 + 24) and converting to imperial units.

whew!! i am wore out just reading that! lol! oddly enough,that sounds about right. that is good info for everybody else. i have a 1969 gtx clone that i think i am going to take the rear out of and put it in the duster. then i have a 67 imperial rear to put in the gtx.

Here is a pic of my '71 Duster with 17x9" bullit wheels, 235/55r17 tires, and NO SPACERS. It has 11.75" brakes up front and a B-body 8-3/4 in the rear. This is such a great thread. Thanks for all the tips, everyone.

- Jon :spiderma:

39114485671338568588663.jpg

We were at the track the other day (Portland International) running 150 mph with Mustang wheels hung on a 1968 Valiant. 17x9 rims with DOT race rubber. 427 inch small block pushes the car up past 150 mph on the straights. No spacers required but the car has custom hubs up front and a B body axle in the rear.

Jon, Are those the factory +05 bullitt wheels or are they aftermarket? They look just like the set I have. They would be the 6.295" backspace ones correct?
Did you clearance the rotor or mill out the center of the wheel to fit?
Just REALLY curious how they fit with no spacers. I haven't even test fitted mine yet.. in boxes while I'm painting the garage floor :(

Jon, Are those the factory +05 bullitt wheels or are they aftermarket? They look just like the set I have. They would be the 6.295" backspace ones correct?
Did you clearance the rotor or mill out the center of the wheel to fit?
Just REALLY curious how they fit with no spacers. I haven't even test fitted mine yet.. in boxes while I'm painting the garage floor :(

They are genuine ford parts. Mine are the 5.92(?) backspacing off an '08 rustang. I just hogged out the center of the wheel to fit, but did it so they just fit. I had my machinist friend mill-up some aluminum tie-rod sleeves with heim-joints, so that the ball joint would be out of the picture.

My rear is out of a '67 Satellite. Its 59.5"

- Jon

Jon,
Got any pics of how the outer tie rod / heim conversion went? Sounds a lot like what I was talking about with Bill @ RMS some time ago (before my 2yr-old came along...), and it sounded like a tidy solution at the time. I need more backspace to take full advantage of the rear wheelwells, but can't go more in front without fixing the OTRE's like you've done. Would love to see your work.

Clair

And it'll keep rockin' as long as folks keep finding new or better ways to do things, or have different weels to show off. Great thread! :cheers:

C

Jon,
Got any pics of how the outer tie rod / heim conversion went? Sounds a lot like what I was talking about with Bill @ RMS some time ago (before my 2yr-old came along...), and it sounded like a tidy solution at the time. I need more backspace to take full advantage of the rear wheelwells, but can't go more in front without fixing the OTRE's like you've done. Would love to see your work.

Clair

Here is the Hotchkis Heim converstion on my Barracuda.

http://www.hotchkis.net/mopar_abody_adjustable_steering_rod_kit.html

Hotchkis7_27_10TVSbuildSm29.JPG

here are a few ideas i came up with and posted on pro-touring.com. Some came out better then others, i really dig the mach 1 wheels:

not mine, but cool anyways, someone suggested and shopped GT500 wheels
40841_450737538831_605383831_6193314_6698748_n.jpg

I switched the photo to black& white so the color scheme would closely match my duster.
The Mach1's:
wheelsidea6.jpg

FR500's:
wheelsidea2.jpg

Vintage Wheel works V60
Wheelsidea3.jpg

I did a few others that didnt come out great.
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71422

-
Back