Anyone put a Hemi in an early A ?

-

604B1duster

Reaction score
Not sure but I remember seeing a tube K for an early A with hemi mounts ??? Like $4K. Anyone build one with this frontend ? Stock frontend ? Can the shock towers be moved enough to fit one in ? I am minitubbing a 66 dart gt with a dana and 15x10s. Was planning to stick in a 340 E head with an str12. I have spitfires and hooker fenderwells. Didn't want to cut it. But if I do I figured I might as well stick in a big hemi. Any info/ ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

I looked into getting Hemi coversion heads for the 440 in my 66 Barracuda from Stage V (you dont even wanna know the cost lol) and there is NO WAY theyd fit. Id love to see or read about what all was done if someone did fit a hemi in an early a

The tube K frame I saw was a coilover with its own upper shock mount outside the frame rails. So the stock mount could be removed. --------Ok found it. Its an alterkation frontend. Optional hemi mounts.

The hemi weighs appx 750 lbs and the smallblock around 525 lbs on that difference alone the hemi will effect the early A body's drivability which will give you some idea of why this setup wasn't available till they changed its body and suspension sometime in 67, 68 and for the 1967 model year. In addition to new styling, the cars received revised steering systems, wider front track (and wider spaced rails) and redesigned K-members capable of accepting physically larger engines.

There are a at least two people that have put the early Hemi around....I think that they both post here. I've seen pictures of the 426 in 66, not stock of course, I'm not sure what was all done to them. You can get the 392 down to weighing less that a SB though if you want to spend the money.

One of these days I will build my 392............not sure what I'll put it in yet, but it will get built even if it's sitting on run stand.

Thanks Hotlines. not really worried about handling, just want the easiest, cheapest way to squeeze it in. I have most of a motor. I'll try to post a pic. I hope the 2 guys that MoparLee mentioned chime in. The motor is a 557 Megablock, dualplug StageV heads and rockers, billet dualplug distrib, and EFI Hilborne. I want to leave the firewall and interior alone. I may use a spare glide I have. If I have to I will remove most or all of the inner fenders and ad forward bars with shock mounts. Maybe tube upper arms and tip the shocks out ??? Custom fenderwell headers ??? Think it will fit ???

Yes, it fits...almost. Richard Petty did it in a 64/65 called "Outlawed" for his short drag race career and someone is doing a tribute car. He said it fit like they had it in mind. Headers would be easier as they start at a beneficial angle already, not a 90 out the head like a wedge. Looks like the only major mod is the shock tower (just the brace) being moved out 1.5 inches.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/mmo12007.html

There was a guy who droped a hemi into a yellow demon. and dropped the motor from the demon into a duster. I cannot remember his name though. Hemimark or something. idk.

Thanks Pishta ! Awesome article, I love it. Great step by step. I guess a front steer rack and coilovers would make the header job a lot easier.

You could always put it in the back.....ala Bob Riggle...:)

2216355715_d4e0334e31.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pwrqpfjrj4"]YouTube - Hemi Under Glass Last Ride[/ame]

Here ya go.

PS-Renteria.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NM7nsGvInE"]YouTube - 2000 Horsepower 4-Door Plymouth Valiant[/ame]

Here's one of our guys. I can't find his name or previous posts though. It's an early Hemi in a early A Really cool.

Attachments

• 00230015-02-smlr.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 415
  • DCP_0853.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 419
  • DCP_0923.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 433
How about this one

Attachments

• 66 cuda with 354 Hemi.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 386
  • 66 cuda with 354 Hemi2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 402
  • 66 cuda with 354 Hemi3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 373
I am going for it over the winter. Hoping to add coilovers and get rid of the tortion bars for better header clearance. First I have to finish the mini tub and dana install. I will post pics as I go. Thanks

After checking further on the alterkation website, I see the early A frontend is N/A with either B/RB or Hemi.

Saw a Valiant wagon with a blown 426 at the California Hot Rod Reunion the other week. Looked like it had a Mustang 2 type front end on it if I recall correctly.

Here's one of our guys. I can't find his name or previous posts though. It's an early Hemi in a early A Really cool.

Hey thanks for the post my Dad and I spent alot (and I mean alot) of late nights and weekends scratching our heads, engineering, fabricating, and drinking beer to get this 1956 354 inch HEMI to fit into a stock front suspension early a-body. Misc. components etc: the front brake set up is 74 Dart Swinger Disc set-up w/ manual steering (4 1/2 bolt pattern), PST kit, fire wall relocated 2 inches, stock exhaust manifolds from 1956, custom exhaust pipes(20+hours in fab), big-block t-bars, TH350 trans, center sump oil pan (modified +/-2qts.), stock /6 K-frame w/ homemade motor mounts, custom everything... and now nothing but fun,fun,fun with a (stock) HEMI powered '65 Valiant Thanks Brian & Gordy

-
Back