anyone try the Revenator?

-

HemiDenny

HDK Suspension
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
maybe I got a dud or did something wrong.....suppose to be pretty much plug and go.
http://www.thertgarage.com/

after 3 hours and multiple test drives....I put my old orange box back on.

it acts like it retards the snot out of the ignition.....and if I advanced the distributor to make it run decent....it would not start (turn over). according to their instructions, it advises to retard the timing 2-6 degrees and NOT utilize the vacuum advance.

of course, I am playing / testing during non business hours.....anyone give it a try?

Sounds implausible to me. Let's think about this. Hmmmm. (That's me thinking.) The only way to make more power is to burn more fuel. The only way a high-zoot ignition system will do that is if the current set-up is limited by the ignition system. So, maybe it could allow a more consistent spark delivery or higher rpm and thus more power if the current system is inadequate. Conversely, if the current system is not the limiting factor in power production, then I fail to see how the system in question is to deliver the advertised gains. Maybe it's there, but I don't see it.

ZZzzzz. (That's me done thinking.)

If an ignition system upgrade makes more power, it's because there was something wrong with the original system.

ANY system that doesn't advocate vacuum advance for street use is an instant-no in my book.

I tried one of their boxes and it was a big disappointment. I wanted the Rev Limiter feature the box offered. Unfortunately it made my timing jump all over the place and I could never get it sorted out. Called and tried to work through the issues with them but never could. They acknowledged they were having some trouble with a batch of their boxes at one time and told me a new version would be coming out to resolve the varying timing problem that myself and others were encountering. They also offered to send me one of their new prototype boxes for testing but it never showed up. Finally after a year of waiting I went another direction. If it were me I would return the box and never look back.

You should have went with the FBO ignition! It also has a built in dead stop rev limiter! They also offer a drop in limiter plate for stock type distributors! They are great people to deal with. Just my couple of pennies! Shane

I put one on the 340 'Cuda I had and didn't have any problems. There may have been a small power increase but if so it was barely detectable by seat of your pants driving. The rev limiter feature did perform as advertised.

I have one in my car, but honestly wouldn't know different if the box wasn't working right, since it is the only box I've had in my duster (with this engine). It worries me a little that there have been some problems with it, though.

When I emailed them about vacuum advance, they said you can use it, but you have to adjust it well.

I have one on my 73 Cuda, had no problems, did have to advance the timing a little, runs great, like the RPM limiter, maybe has a smidge more go in it but not huge leaps

Thanks for all the responses and advise....I hope to hear from them today.

I have had mine for about 2 years with no problems at all. Didn't feel any performance increase just like the rev limiter feature.

I tried to call the Revanator people at one point , they never returned my call. During my Internet escapades one night I heard about an outfit in Tennessee called Skip White Performance. As I was checking out there product line, I kept thinking to my self "This has got to be a joke and nothing but junk! Well, I read a review of one of their HEI Dizzy's and the guy documented the whole thing with pics and measurments with a mic. Finding out MSD started outsourcing their products from China and this guy doing a side bye side comparison, I bit! (They were Identical) For the sum of $129 bucks I received an Billet HEI Dizzy a set of Accell 8mm SuperCore wires and a Tune up kit all for my small block dodge 360 motor. My seat of the pants dyno read WOW ...OH MY GOD WITH A **** EATTING GRIN LOL Im no master mechanic ... But I found no problem with any of it the 50,000 volt coil and a 60 thou gap on the copper core plugs made a hugh difference in my smallblock and the price of the wires was a miracl in my book. Every other speed shop gets almost a 100 bucks for the wires alone. And Ive been running it every day for about a year now and NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER! AGAIN THIS IS MY DAILY DRIVER I LIVE 50 MILES FROM WORK ALSO I PICKED UP ABOUT 3MPG SO IN MY BOOK IT WAS A HUGH WIN/WIN. Oh yea it was a one wire hook up I ran a 12 guage wire from my battery to a toggle to the HEI unit an kept all my other factory ignition in place and stored it behing the seat(just in case and have never had one issue) So good luck I am still thrilled with my. discovery

I don't know what a revawhatchamacallit is, but when I see timing jumping around and retard with rpm, on a magnetic trigger,then I immediately switch the outgoing polarity, of the switching device.

Rev A Nator returned my call this morning and after a brief conversation I was offered couple of options.....all were geared at having me satisfied with their product...and if I wasn't, to happily process a refund.

Because it is an easy plug in swap.....I choose to try to swap / sort it out with their help.

I will report back.

A Buddy got one for his 451 stroker in a 64 Fury.Worked great from day 1. No hickups

-
Back