Anyone wanna tell me what the heck is going on here?

-

Shane65

Reaction score
So I took the Barracuda (1965) out for a spin today, and I look over and anti freeze is pouring out from under the dash on the passenger side? I open this black plastic box and there's leaves and antifreeze inside... I'm baffled, never ran into this problem on any car I've owned...

Attachments

• Antifreeze.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 419
Antifreeze is from a leaking heater core. Not sure about the leaves, maybe from one of the vents.

Feel lucky you don't own a Ferd, as in Falcon Poontag, etc. The heater core nipples are INSIDE the car, which means not only does it make a mess, but it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to unhook/ cut the hoses to repace them without making a mess

^ yup, what they all said. 30X years of corrosion will kill any core.

Hey, for once I think we have a consensus. No disagreement at all, of course this one was easy. :)

had the same exact problem on my cuda when I bought it, I was so freaking confused because I didnt know the first thing about cars when I bought it haha

Well, the leaves look to be NOS, although a little dried out. New leaves can be purchased at any tree, most shrubs, and at all of the big box stores!!

Now hang on, you being from Cali...you've never had the vent box open on a hot day before?? How bout the drivers side? theres one there too!! You'll love the difference, and your unit will thank you for finding the drivers side one!! The Mrs. will also dig the breezes over on her side too!! Just sayin'!! Geof

just clean the leaves out before you open the vents going down the freeway! I always forget... then the breeze dries them out and I get a bunch of pine needles etc blown up my shorts...

The leaves are in the cowl,getting blown up and over into the vents.
Kind of tough to clean out,but it can be done. I first use a hose to spray it out as much as possible. Then compressed air,and a shop vac used from the inside. There are also drain holes on each side of the cowl. Make sure they are clean,so the cowl will drain water.

Never seen it before? I have seen this on almost every car I have owned. Worst was an 82 Chevy S-10 I bought new. Green fluid on the passenger floor 2 yrs later. Like others, I bought a new heater core for my 65 Dart (non-AC) for ~$35 from rockauto I recall.

I agree on checking the cowl drains since they can easily clog. There are little triangular openings at the cowl sides, simple folds in the sheetmetal. You can get at them thru the door jambs, or really see them if you unbolt the inner fender. A rusted out cowl is a serious problem and very hard to fix, so I painted the insides of mine using a foam brush on an extender thru the openings in the engine bay and up thru the air box holes.

just clean the leaves out before you open the vents going down the freeway! I always forget... then the breeze dries them out and I get a bunch of pine needles etc blown up my shorts...
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

-
Back