Arizona Swinger

-
should receive the radiator and shroud, as well as the rear package shelf today via UPS, so I should be able to pretty much have all the necessary parts to complete this car, other than the trim pieces still missing at the chrome shop! Hopefully have this car running in the next week, and then off to the alignment shop and then some 'shake-down' cruises.

A big car show down in Tubac, Arizona, down close to the Mexican border on February 2, so I hope to be able to attend with the Dart then! Ben.

Attachments

• DAY TRIP 056.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 552
  • DAY TRIP 057.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 569
  • DAY TRIP 058.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 559
  • DAY TRIP 059.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 561
  • DAY TRIP 060.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 558
got the radiator and shroud in yesterday. Not exactly a drop in installation as I had to do some filing on the mount holes of both the radiator and the shroud to get them to line up properly to the core support. Ran into a small problem with the fan and fan clutch......the clutch could not be installed as it was too tall and hit the radiator. Had to find a shorter fan clutch for the application, but still it is only 1/2" from contacting the radiator. Should not be a problem unless the water pump bearing goes out and lets the fan take out the radiator core! Fan blade is about half way into the shroud which is approximately where it should be. Also a picture of the upper radiator hose and how it clears the modified lower air cleaner base with the proper amount of clearance. Ben.

Attachments

• 01-03-13 003.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 551
  • 01-03-13 002.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 536
  • 01-03-13 001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 544
finally down to my 'things still to do' check list. Managed to cross one item off today......hopefully get a number of them checked off over the weekend! Ben.

Attachments

• 01-04-13 001.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 534
got a number of things checked off of my 'to do' list today. Most of the work done was to the interior. Got the plastic weather shields, quarter trim panels, window crank handles, arm rests installed. Also the package tray and upper and lower rear seat cushions. Will need to remove the lower seat cushion when the seat belts arrive. Some of the pictures show the upper trim panels in the rear almost looking gold......not the case! The pictures were taken at night with a flash which made the color appear different. Also the rear package shelf is actually dark green, not the awful looking turquoise/aqua color of green it appears to be! These multiple colors of green really do compliment each other in person, and are actually the factory color scheme this car came with! Ben.

Attachments

• 01-05-12 002.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 522
  • 01-05-12 003.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 521
  • 01-05-12 005.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 511
  • 01-05-12 008.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 519
  • 01-05-12 009.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 512
  • 01-05-12 006.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 512
got a few more things done today! Spark plug wires and separators installed, as well as some antifreeze put into the radiator. No leaks that I can tell so far! Also got some work done on that rear valance.....hopefully will have it refinished this week.

A bit of disconcerting news.....the chrome shop has had its' phone disconnected and no one seems to know where any of the people who run it are! A lot of angry people milling about the parking lot! May have to locate some more seat trim and figure out what to do about that six pack air cleaner lid and valve covers that have yet to be picked up. At least all of this stuff is replaceable, although I was not expecting the extra expense. Ben.

like anything you take time to put back together with the utmost of attention, there is always something you have to go back over! Seems there was a tiny bit of antifreeze leaking from one of the bolts holding the lower alternator bracket to the water pump on through the timing cover into the block. Also the new pet **** on the radiator needed some attention. A little twist with a wrench and things seems to be dry, at least for now.

Also managed to get the brake system filled with fluid and all corners bled and adjusted. Again, a small drip from one connection on the rear axle assembly, but nothing that a slight tightening didn't cure. Now I have a complete braking system, although the car is for now only moving via 'man-power' versus the engine putting out 'horse-power'.

Also installed the wiper arms and tried out the wiper system. Works fine on both speeds, but stops where ever the switch is turned off, instead of parking back at the bottom of the windshield. Not sure if the new wiper motor is the culprit, or the OEM used wiper switch is responsible for the 'park' feature? Ben.

You might need a good ground at the wiper motor. There are a couple threads here about that.

THANKS! for the suggestion. Checked all of the grounds.....manually grounded the motor as well as the switch and still do not have wipers that will park. Bought a new switch, only because the one on the car appears to be an original one and 'feels' a little 'gravelly' when rotating to the various speeds. Will have to wait until it arrives to see if that cures the problem?!

Got the rear valance adjusted, sanded and painted. Will install tomorrow, get the exhaust tips reinstalled, and then its only a matter of a few wires that need to be dealt with, and some gas, and we'll see if this beast will move on its' own power! Hopefully, if I can figure my camera out, I'll be able to post some video. Ben.

Ok I just went through your whole thread. All I can say is you are absolutely Fkn CRAZY!
Very nice work on that car, your attention to all the details makes me sick! Just beautiful craftsmanship!:D

I guess? being 'crazy' is reason why someone would spend 10 times more than what this car cost new to bring it back to what it was 42 years ago. It will still go straight ahead like crazy, handle no where near what even a cheap, (10k plus new!), compact car can handle today, have a spartan interior, and still have that very identifiable gear reduction starter sound whenever its' started up! It's 'navigation system' consists of a road map in the glove box, and the only 'tunes' you get are from whatever AM radio station you can pick up in the area you are driving in! Yeah! I must be crazy with a capital C, but it sure is nice having something that not everyone else is driving, and stands out in a crowd with all of that very 60-70's green paint! Ben.

BRRRR,,,,,it has been too cold to work on cold sheet metal and steel this last week! Cold in Tucson is high teens to low 20's over night and 40's in the day! Keep in mind there are winters here that the temp. seldom if ever goes below freezing for an entire season. Our PVC water lines explode when it gets as cold as it has been!

Have managed to get the rear valance reattached to the car and it seems to fit just like it should. Also doing some over spray cleaning so I can place the various decals and stickers in their proper place. A couple of wires that need to have the proper ends attached and the car will be ready to start. Just two more weeks until the show in Tubac, so this next week I hope to have everything ready with nothing but cleanup the week to follow. Keeping my fingers crossed! Ben.

lower valance installed and tail pipe tips installed, leveled and adjusted and tightened. Had to reverse the rubber on the tip hangers as the tips hit the lower valance when installed as they came. Once reversed they fit nicely with about a 1/2 inch of clearance. Picked up another air cleaner lid while waiting on the original one to come back from chrome plating, which should be first of the week. Think I'll keep one the OEM orange with a '340 Six Pack" sticker on it, and also have a chrome one without any stickers for other occasions. Managed to find all of the seat trim to finish up the seats and install the headrests....hopefully car should be running and pretty much finished up this time next week. Then off to the alignment shop and some break in miles before the short trip to Tubac on the 2nd of Feb.! Ben.

Attachments

• 01-19-13 057.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 382
  • 01-19-13 059.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 366
  • 01-19-13 060.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 375
  • 01-19-13 061.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 380
  • 01-19-13 056.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 383
a few more things crossed off the list! We now have back up lights, a functioning 'reverse' light on the dash, hooked up several wires to complete the electronic ignition, a fuel gauge that indicates and the clutch switch hooked up. Stepped on the clutch and hit the ignition and over the engine cranked for the first time. Get some fuel on Monday and proceed with the first start up! Also tried the wipers again, and I have no idea what was done but now they park at the bottom of the windshield when turned off! Ben.

THANKS!! for all the encouragement and positive comments! Am looking forward to crossing off the last of my 'to do' list this week. Out of 54 items on that list, 30 have been crossed off with only 24 to go!

Have a question about the brown ground wire coming from the heater blower motor/resistor......any one have a good picture or can describe at what location it is screwed to? Also could use a picture of the radio brace. Have one but can't quite figure out how it originally attached, or it is even the correct one for a thumbwheel radio in a rally dash. Any help would be appreciated. Now back under the dash to see if I can install the dash bulbs, or if I should have put them in before installing the dash?! :banghead: Ben.

If i remember correct, the long brown wire on the heater box shoud have an eyelet on it that goes behind the kick panel down low. I just started assembly on my dash yesterday so its laying on my bench. i can try and snap a pic of the radio and mounting bracket for you tonight.

hope this helps. Not sure if the radio or the mount is correct for a 70 dodge, but I sourced the parts and made it work.

Attachments

• DSCN0470.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 343
hope this helps. Not sure if the radio or the mount is correct for a 70 dodge, but I sourced the parts and made it work.

Thanks for the help! That looks like what I have, except I don't have the hole in the lower dash frame, which I will have to drill. Thanks again!

I ended up removing the cluster assembly to access the 8 dash lights. Installed new bulbs and new holders, connected the heater/defroster cables, connected the speaker wires and installed the defroster hoses. All back together and everything looks great except I only have dash lights on the speedometer and radio! Back to square one I guess. Ben.

Managed to move to the tail end of the car today! Was able to get the trunk area cleaned and wiped down, install the spare and jack, as well as the jack info. decal. Also the foot operated washer pump, hoses and washer fluid have all been installed.

Moving onto the lock out linkage for the shifter/column and hope to have the car on the ground and ready to start tomorrow or Thursday! That list IS NOW DOWN UNDER 20! Ben.

Attachments

• 01-22-13 002.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 309
  • 01-22-13 001.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 329
  • 01-22-13 005.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 01-22-13 004.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 01-22-13 003.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 308
I would love to see this car in person. Can you please let me know when & where you are showing it? Thank's. What a great build!

thanks! for the kind words. My first goal is to get it out of the shop on its' own power! Then I plan, if everything falls into place to drive to Tubac, Az. for a show on the 2nd of February. After that, a lot of shows here in Az., before the weather gets too hot! Would really love to drive up into your 'neck of the woods' through southwestern and central Colorado during those hot days! Who knows?! Ben.

thanks! for the kind words. My first goal is to get it out of the shop on its' own power! Then I plan, if everything falls into place to drive to Tubac, Az. for a show on the 2nd of February. After that, a lot of shows here in Az., before the weather gets too hot! Would really love to drive up into your 'neck of the woods' through southwestern and central Colorado during those hot days! Who knows?! Ben.

Just let me know, I'll show you some of the sites!

-
Back