Bang for the Buck Thread

-
Not a good engine, my brother ended up having to replace cam bearings and found a crack in the oil sensor boss that had to be machined down.
Ya get's what you pay for.
Blueprint had a nice 408 short block for under 3k, I haven't seen it for a while.
That one I would have not hesitated buying, they stand by their product.

After looking some stuff over, that cam in a magnum can make some pretty decent power. Around 1+ hp/ci 350-360hp which isn't bad.

Put the $3000 in the bank run what you got enjoy as is then see what direction you want to go, you don't have to build a 10-12 car right out of the gate enjoy the journey.

i'd go trick flow heads over stroker myself, what you got going for the rest of the driveline ?

When you mean "stock rebuild" on the short block... do you mean new cylinder bore and hone, new pistons, resize rods, new rings, bearings, oil pump ?

Or do you mean refresh short block ... old pistons, hone, resize rods for ARP rod bolts, new rings, bearings, oil pump? Hopefully it doesn't need crank polish
Either. Should have said stock stroke. Preferably a refresh, so the left over money could be used for better heads.

yeah in the mentioned video it picked up like 80-90 lbs of torque but not alot of HP without the cam and head upgrade
They also added about 2 points of cr, some of that torque increase would be from that, they say 2 points is about 8% hp gain.

I haven’t heard that. Who is they that say that?
I think that is a bit generous. I really don’t know, but I think is really combo dependent.

O.P. says he wants a hp number that starts with a four.
So, 300 hp 360 (sounds like he already has one), plus 150hp nitrous kit
(bang for buck, well under a grand).
Result? 450hp, $2000 left over for slicks, a converter, and whatever else is necessary to go fast.
Bang for buck, nitrous is ALWAYS the winner.

I haven’t heard that. Who is they that say that?
I think that is a bit generous. I really don’t know, but I think is really combo dependent.
Think it's in one of my DV books seen it other places just googled it and that's 1st thing came up. 3-4% hp gain per point of cr increase and also said that an increase say 7:1 to 8:1 will give slightly better % than 14:1 to 15:1. So low end cr increases probably the 4 ish and higher ones are 3 ish percent.

O.P. says he wants a hp number that starts with a four.
So, 300 hp 360 (sounds like he already has one), plus 150hp nitrous kit
(bang for buck, well under a grand).
Result? 450hp, $2000 left over for slicks, a converter, and whatever else is necessary to go fast.
Bang for buck, nitrous is ALWAYS the winner.
Funny how people are stuck to that 400 hp number, 300-375 hp is basically down to cam choice on a stock headed 360 and for the most part can getaway with stock convertor and gears and even low cr but just that next step now need a built motor with ported or aftermarket head, stroke it cause might as well and build up the rest of the driveline to match $$$$.

Funny how people are stuck to that 400 hp number, 300-375 hp is basically down to cam choice on a stock headed 360 and for the most part can getaway with stock convertor and gears and even low cr but just that next step now need a built motor with ported or aftermarket head, stroke it cause might as well and build up the rest of the driveline to match $$$$.
Exactly that Lol. I had a 70 Dart with a 360 magnum pretty close to the old 380HP crate motors they used to sell. Now i just want More. haha.

I suppose for me it's because the HP Numbers of brand new cars keeps skyrocketing. I want to be able to keep up with joe blow rich douchebag who went and bought a brand new Hemi Challenger or Camaro SS and thinks hes King **** because he had more money to spend than the rest of us. Something mighty satisfying about seeing those guys with $80,000 cars
get walked by someone in a "shitbox" with 10K in motor work.

Exactly that Lol. I had a 70 Dart with a 360 magnum pretty close to the old 380HP crate motors they used to sell. Now i just want More. haha.

I suppose for me it's because the HP Numbers of brand new cars keeps skyrocketing. I want to be able to keep up with joe blow rich douchebag who went and bought a brand new Hemi Challenger or Camaro SS and thinks hes King **** because he had more money to spend than the rest of us.
Then better heads more cam, stall, gear, cr etc..

I suppose for me it's because the HP Numbers of brand new cars keeps skyrocketing. I want to be able to keep up with joe blow rich douchebag who went and bought a brand new Hemi Challenger or Camaro SS and thinks hes King **** because he had more money to spend than the rest of us. Something mighty satisfying about seeing those guys with $80,000 cars
Here's a magnum with edelbrock heads and think comp xe275 cam making 448hp

How to Make 450 Horsepower with a Dodge Magnum 360 Truck Engine

It's not the heavy weight new Camaro's and Challengers you need to be concerned with, lol it's those tuned up rice grinder Honda's that will get you. lol
Being beat by a rice grinder is unacceptable :D

It's not the heavy weight new Camaro's and Challengers you need to be concerned with, lol it's those tuned up rice grinder Honda's that will get you. lol
Being beat by a rice grinder is unacceptable :D
Gotta be careful around here, especially close to Seattle. Lots of sub 12 second street cars with 4’s and 6’s. 450 awhp Subarus that launch like nobodies business and pull hard, and there is a 9 second Supra up here but I’ve never seen it on the street. There is always someone faster than you.

The two or three dyno runs i've seen of the 380hp crate motors actually dynos 400-410 hp with a mild 212 ish roller Richard Holdener dyno'd 360hp.

Last edited:
Build a shitbox with traction, and with as little weight as possible, throw a $5000 twin Turbo setup on a $5000 long block, you will have 95% of the cars out there covered. Beware tuned hellcats, redeyes, GTR's, and Teslas.

Sayin you're gonna build an engine for 3k is as stupid as sayin you're gonna make it with the hottest **** star. It ain't happenin.

Sayin you're gonna build an engine for 3k is as stupid as sayin you're gonna make it with the hottest **** star. It ain't happenin.
i didnt say 3K i said i have 3K right NOW and asked what that 3K would best be thrown at to make as much power as possible NOW, (not when the motor is 100% done)

-
Back