Bang for the Buck Thread

-
TF heads. Maybe 50-75hp better than the magnums, with enough cam. $2200 ?
Adjustable nitrous system, 100-250hp, well under $1000.

Which is "bang for the buck" again?

heads makes the power,...stroke sets at what rpm.... buy the heads now,..then next time youll be needing the bottum end!
The bore and stroke of the engine matter little in where the power is made since it is the cam that ultimately dictates where the power is going to be. The better the head the higher rpm and more powerful the engine will be.

If stroking with a 4 inch are is a limitation to rpm, then please explain why a NHRA 500 cid engine will spin 10K.

Generally speaking, in hot rods and many race car engines, the longer stroke for a bigger engine will have the power leak earlier in the power curve. This is seen with an otherwise apple to apple comparison. An example would be 340 vs a 408. But to use this example as a rule of thumb and to rpm limitations is not wise or in stone.

Here it is best to quote Freiburger, “Tends too…”

The N02 is BUT….

1; Constant refills with N02 make it a looser in the end. The more you use the more the cost effectiveness drops. How much to fill a bottle by you? How often is a refill?

2; The choices were stroker bottom end or heads. Which of the two would you choose.

The bore and stroke of the engine matter little in where the power is made since it is the cam that ultimately dictates where the power is going to be. The better the head the higher rpm and more powerful the engine will be.
displacement has a huge effect where power is made, I say heads and displacement has more effect where the powerband will be obviously cam has a role but heads and displacement set the boundaries. Eg.. A comp xe285hl gonna be very different in vastly different combos of heads and displacement from a 273-572, there not all gonna operate in the same powerband.

If stroking with a 4 inch are is a limitation to rpm, then please explain why a NHRA 500 cid engine will spin 10K.
It can displace enough air to do so.

Generally speaking, in hot rods and many race car engines, the longer stroke for a bigger engine will have the power leak earlier in the power curve. This is seen with an otherwise apple to apple comparison. An example would be 340 vs a 408. But to use this example as a rule of thumb and to rpm limitations is not wise or in stone.
agree

displacement has a huge effect where power is made,
Oh geeeezzze, here we go…. Again….
Yes and no because what your leaving out is how the displacement is made.
I say heads and displacement has more effect where the powerband will be obviously cam has a role but heads and displacement set the boundaries.
Wait, first it’s a notification of one thing then an argument of the otherwise and now it’s both . Please make up your mind.

Eg.. A comp xe285hl gonna be very different in vastly different combos of heads and displacement from a 273-572, they’re not all gonna operate in the same powerband.
Proving my point?

It can displace enough air to do so.
Can be?

Oh geeeezzze, here we go…. Again….
Yes and no because what your leaving out is how the displacement is made.
Cause for the most part it doesn't where the powerband is concerned
Wait, first it’s a notification of one thing then an argument of the otherwise and now it’s both . Please make up your mind.
I don't see the contradiction, dirty white boy said, His point to me was heads is gonna be the ultimate say to how much power is available and displacement will for the most part will dictate where that power will be. Eg. Like trick flow vs speedmaster available hp and cam choice will decide how much of that available power we'll extract and displacement eg. 360 vs 408 will basically decide where the powerband will for the most part obviously there's more to it.
Proving my point?
Hows that proving your point, out of displacement, heads and cam i'm saying cam has least over the other two.
The engine will keep climbing rpm as long you can keep filling those cylinders is what I meant.

Rumblefish360

I guess it depends how your looking at this, say your buying a cam for a running 5.9l magnum along with a 4bbl and headers yes obviously in this case cam choice is gonna be the major decider over the powerband rpm, but to me that’s only cause heads and displacement have already been chosen.

Cause for the most part it doesn't where the powerband is concerned
Explain how the displacement made doesn’t matter.
I don't see the contradiction, dirty white boy said, His point to me was heads is gonna be the ultimate say to how much power is available and displacement will for the most part will dictate where that power will be. Eg. Like trick flow vs speedmaster available hp and cam choice will decide how much of that available power we'll extract and displacement eg. 360 vs 408 will basically decide where the powerband will for the most part obviously there's more to it.

Hows that proving your point, out of displacement, heads and cam i'm saying cam has least over the other two.

The engine will keep climbing rpm as long you can keep filling those cylinders is what I meant.
Wait, never mind, you’re in your own world and make no sense.
From where I sit right now, I don’t feel like arguing with an idiot because you’ll just drag me down while twisting your words and meaning’s around and beat me to death with experience.

You win, you’re super smart, a fuckin genius extreme. After all, the guys in Pri Stock are doing it wrong, guys in classes where the stock oem port must be used are doing it wrong, etc….

Why don’t you start your own school and show everyone how they’re doing it wrong. Help the masses! I’m out, what you wish, your the Victor!

Rumblefish360

I guess it depends how your looking at this, say your buying a cam for a running 5.9l magnum along with a 4bbl and headers yes obviously in this case cam choice is gonna be the major decider over the powerband rpm, but to me that’s only cause heads and displacement have already been chosen.
If you insist so. You must be right. I must have been doing it all working the last 35 years. No worries though. I’m sure you’ll school the world.

Just think ladies and gents! All those dyno tests you have seen, read about and performed in front of you are now being questioned and proven wrong by our very own FABO member 273.

Just because his mind says so.

I watching this thread…. I’m done…. Have at it….

The MASTER of what is possible- 273 will no command what is and what isn’t possible to you all.

(Despite what’s all ready be proven!)

If you insist so. You must be right. I must have been doing it all working the last 35 years. No worries though. I’m sure you’ll school the world.
Like how name calling and belittling is always your 1st step.

I Wasn’t trying to piss you off.

So what I disagree with ya, I guess you are the only one allowed to disagree and everyone just has to take it as gospel.

Like how name calling and belittling is always your 1st step.

I Wasn’t trying to piss you off.

So what I disagree with ya, I guess you are the only one allowed to disagree and everyone just has to take it as gospel.
Back in to say 4

Clear out your in box and I’ll give you a little belittling which hasn’t happened yet.

Back out……

Here it is best to quote Freiburger, “Tends too…”

The N02 is BUT….

1; Constant refills with N02 make it a looser in the end. The more you use the more the cost effectiveness drops. How much to fill a bottle by you? How often is a refill?

2; The choices were stroker bottom end or heads. Which of the two would you choose.
1. Yes refills get tedious and expensive. Especially if you hit the button three or four times a day on the freeway on ramp. But the expense isn't so bad if you only use it for a few laps at the test n tune. If I've got a 500hp engine, (and I do) I don't need it to be 750hp very often.
2. I thought the question was bang for the buck, not which engine parts to buy. (For edification, I would choose heads first, they'll work on most any short block, then build inches) Building a big, (or BIG) motor without the heads and cam to feed it is not very bright.

Back in for adult & sane dialogue w/ @33IMP

#1, Agreed, 100%.

#2 Is was the OP’s choice of where to spend 3K.
Heads or stroker kit. As I said earlier, ether way is a great move since he wants to end up with both of them together.

In reading all the posts, I think I’d change my mind and do the stroker first.

TF heads. lol
Nitrous ? nickel and dime every time it's empty and many thousands more after replacing your blown up short block. lol
man, I wish she didn't go lean that one time. lol
Giggle gas and a greenhorn don't mix and a cheap short block won't last.

Lets say you have a bone stock Junkyard 360 Magnum in good shape.

You already have a good intake, Headers, mild cam, and carburetor Budgeted for.

You have 3000$ To spend to make as much additional streetable power you can.

Annnnnd go...... Im leaning towards 408 stroker kit myself. Curious what others would reccomend bang for the buck wise.

Largely depends on how much of the work you plan to do yourself to stay in budget.

Nitrous is the cheapest up front cost, but is consumable.

Home brewed turbo install would be next.

Assuming you are comfortable building a short block, and checking heads to make sure they are set up properly, you would come in right at your budget of 3k or a little more with a stroker kit and speedmaster heads bought on sale.

Sayin you're gonna build an engine for 3k is as stupid as sayin you're gonna make it with the hottest **** star. It ain't happenin.

I’ve made it with a **** star and it wasnt near 3k.

And my wife says I’m a liar. I don’t listen to her.

If you have a solid shortblock and want to play now go for the heads.

If your shortblock is suspect at all and / or you want to get the biggest hurdle out of the way go with the best stroker shortblock you can afford.

You have to decide what you WANT and what you can AFFORD.
There isn't a right or wrong answer only what is the MOST NEEDED at the moment.

-
Back