bench grinder deal

-
How do you get the military discount from the website? I've never been able to do that. I thought our military discount was only 10%; how did you only spend $15? Even $30 is a good deal, but it appears to be out of stock now.

yea i have a 8 inch old school bench grinder at home so this one will eventually be for just polishing more than likely

At only an advertised 2 amps and NO advertised HP rating, you can probably just about stop it with your bare hand. I hope you like it, but I am afraid you got a POS.

At only an advertised 2 amps and NO advertised HP rating, you can probably just about stop it with your bare hand. I hope you like it, but I am afraid you got a POS.

I hope it's a good one for the OP's sake but that's what I'm thinking too. The way they rate stuff in amperage nowadays is bull.

idk. it spins pretty good. i wouldn't try and stop it with my hand by any means. it polishes pretty good tho for under 15$

i have a real 8in grinder back home in illinois. i only plan to buff some projects, wire wheel some things

I've been shopping for a second grinder for my shop away from home.

I compared the harbor freight "on sale for 39.99" plus a 20% coupon, the Skill at Lowes, and the entry level Ryobi at HD. All 6" 1/2 HP units

Aside from tool rests and spark shields, the main body/motor looked identical between the three. The Skill and HF even had the exact same cord pass-through grommet.

The Ryobi had much nicer accessories (tool rests, etc), and I was almost ready to buy...

...but then I stumbled on a thrift/used tool store that had a vintage 1/3 HP Dayton brand, and bought that for $25 including two extra stones.

I was at first hesitant about only a 1/3 HP rating, but then figured- A- they don't make 'em like they used to, and B- 1/3 back then is likely better than 1/2 now.

I couldn't be happier with it and NO WAY could I stop this one.

Check your local pawn shops, thrift stores and swap meets.

yea back home the flea markets are the place to be

out here its just a bunch of mexicans selling junk from china

and oddly the pawn shops here are always over priced

yea back home the flea markets are the place to be

out here its just a bunch of mexicans selling junk from china

and oddly the pawn shops here are always over priced
I've noticed that here too, lots of the time pawn shops want about 75% of retail. And only on the strangest stuff like used electric tools...:scratch:

they wanted more than what i bought my drill for on sale at a pawn shop and it came with non lithium battery and no charger. i was like wtf?

or like $500 for a crappy off brand dented up, broken drawer rolling tool chest

I've noticed that here too, lots of the time pawn shops want about 75% of retail. And only on the strangest stuff like used electric tools...:scratch:

Reality shows.... :finga:

Driving up prices.... :finga:

they wanted more than what i bought my drill for on sale at a pawn shop and it came with non lithium battery and no charger. i was like wtf?

or like $500 for a crappy off brand dented up, broken drawer rolling tool chest

That's the way some around me are. Not sure how they sell anything with their ridiculous prices

Get a belt sander instead , I bought a little 36" table top sander and it will out perform and grind faster than a bench grinder hands down .

Pawn shops will come down on anything on the shelves, grinders is among my fav tools, dont forget the eye protection.

I got the big green 6" bench grinder from HF to buff something.. yeah, right. the buffing wheel I used would literally stop with any pressure on it (your not supposed to put any pressure on it anyway but for the point of comparison) I demoted it to a wire wheel and it would only work when I mounted a stone on the other side to give it a flywheel mass. Now their 8" orange buffer with the tapered axles works great as both buffer and wire wheel/grinder. Lots of torque. I agree on the belt sander for removing material, works great on polishing rods.

i can't believe how cheap tools have gotten in the last 15 years..it seems like the prices keep coming down.

I think the biggest reason for that is all the cheap crap coming over from China. Nowadays practically every major electric power tool is made in a Chinese sweatshop

Pawn shops will come down on anything on the shelves, grinders is among my fav tools, dont forget the eye protection.

i went to a couple a while back, had a hard time cause they all spoke spainish as their first language

i couldn't get em below 60$ on a drill that cost 79$ new with lithium batteries and they had old fashion NiCad

im OCD about safety glasses, I'm an aircraft mechanic for a living and wear coveralls and safety glasses the entire time i am working

-
Back