Best Budget Build Motor

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
So if you guys were going to build a motor but wanted the most bang for the buck what would you build? It would be going in my 84 D100 Shortbed for street/strip use.
I currently have the current engine I have and a few other possibilitys I could go with as well.

360 Magnum or LA, stock magnum heads, mild cam, 1406 Edelbrock, Competition Products intake manifold, Jegs headers, skip white distributor. Should be under $2000-$2400 including rebuild parts, machine work, the motor, and all those parts brand new I mentioned. Should make over 360hp or even the 380hp crate numbers if you copy that, and lots of torque. That or buy somebody's used built up motor as they never can get back what they put in them. Just hard to trust what you are getting.
actually a 750cfm carb may be better as would a holley for pure power. I like the Edelbrock for the street.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...pp_0303_360_crate_engine_buildup/viewall.html

That's my two major options. I currently have a stock magnum 318 carbed headers and a can it runs pretty strong as it is. I could just freshen up the 318 do a little headwork and put it back in. Or I can get a magnum 360 off a friend and do whatever with it and use my current cam.

What are the crate can specs?

I'd rather have the stroke over the 318 - so my vote is take the 360, sell the heads from it, sell the 318 Magnum you have complete, buy a set of EQ Magnums rather than wasting time on the factory heads, and either have the cam reground, or replace it with something better. The 360/300hp crates used the stock Magnum camshaft from what I've seen. It shouldn't take much to get a little more steam from a regrind or larger with the better heads.

mopar action took a 360 junkyard magnum,left the bottom end in tact,changed the heads cam intake and small parts and it dynoed 468.
..total cost was around $2000.

A 5.9 Magnum. Re ring the stock pistons. Get compression to 9.2. Have the stock roller cam reground to the 340 cam specs.

From the article I posted, "The roller is a fairly stout stick, with a long .288 intake, .292 exhaust duration, and .501/.513 lift-much more than any production small-block. The specs don't hide the fact that this cam will have some bark, so if the lope, rumble, and top-end power aren't the goal, consider backing off to the milder 360/300hp version"
That 360 made over 400 HP also.

I'd rather have the stroke over the 318 - so my vote is take the 360, sell the heads from it, sell the 318 Magnum you have complete, buy a set of EQ Magnums rather than wasting time on the factory heads, and either have the cam reground, or replace it with something better. The 360/300hp crates used the stock Magnum camshaft from what I've seen. It shouldn't take much to get a little more steam from a regrind or larger with the better heads.

For a budget I wouldn't go with the EQ heads, you are talking $1000 more over a $2000 motor otherwise. The cracking is way overhyped.

He's talking about porting the factory ones. The EQs will outflow the factorys, won't crack even if it's only cosmetic (which I agree with you on), and will take any LA intake, and if you're dropping $1K on a set you're not shopping around much. They can be had for less reaady to run.

You don't need to port anything to make 400hp, I agree don't port the stock heads, but unless you know what you are doing and do it yourself I wouldn't consider porting heads a budget, bang for the buck, type build. Instead of making expensive heads fit any intake, use the inexpensive intake that fits any head, the competition products one.

My current not yet complete project is a '00 - 5.9.

I purchased a RPM, Hooker Super Comps, Theush Turbo mufflers and straight pipe, a FABO MP distributor and a Edel. 650 AVS.
No cam yet.

Total including the little things will be under $2K.

I wonder what I could make with the 318 just rebuild it since I already own it bump the compression up, ect.

Since you have the 5.2/318, check out the cylinder bores. These engines are known to still have cross hatch from the day they were machined. If you still have them, IMO, is skip the new slugs and just mill the heads a lite bit. Mic up the motor and figure out how far down the hole the pistons are and cc the head if you can. Get the cylinder head gasket specs and plug all the numbers into a calc for ratio. You really do not want to go past 9.5-1 for a street engine. 9.0-1 is just fine. Besides, you'll gain more from the head flow than you will with compression.

Where you want to focus is the heads breathing ability and then onto camshaft selection. This is were the engine will make power (with the heads) and recieve it's thumping orders from. (The cam, which dictates at what rpm it operates at and in.) later on down the line, you can pick up some EQ heads and have them set up ready to blot on with the head cc amount all ready worked into it and the valve job done, ported if need be.

While head work costs a lot, it can be the last thing on the list to do and you'll be rewarded with a good driver until you bolt on a nice power upgrade.

From this point, the compression ratio and cam should work together and be matched to a rear gear ratio and stall converter for the vehicle it will go in.
Everything else there after is simply basic bolt on's. Headers, exhaust, intake, carb, and what ever.

Even the stock heads, which may not flow so great, can perform very well. Getting 300/325 out of the stock long block should be easy to do. A mild cam can do this. Something like 210 or 216 intake duration @ .050 will do it. I myself would not really go beyond a duration @ .050 of 230 unless I was north of 9.0-1.

The use of a O.D. trans would be a real big help. You could drop the gear ratio to 4.10's and then get into the OD for a final drive ratio of 2.82.

Since you have the 5.2/318, check out the cylinder bores. These engines are known to still have cross hatch from the day they were machined. If you still have them, IMO, is skip the new slugs and just mill the heads a lite bit. Mic up the motor and figure out how far down the hole the pistons are and cc the head if you can. Get the cylinder head gasket specs and plug all the numbers into a calc for ratio. You really do not want to go past 9.5-1 for a street engine. 9.0-1 is just fine. Besides, you'll gain more from the head flow than you will with compression.

Where you want to focus is the heads breathing ability and then onto camshaft selection. This is were the engine will make power (with the heads) and recieve it's thumping orders from. (The cam, which dictates at what rpm it operates at and in.) later on down the line, you can pick up some EQ heads and have them set up ready to blot on with the head cc amount all ready worked into it and the valve job done, ported if need be.

While head work costs a lot, it can be the last thing on the list to do and you'll be rewarded with a good driver until you bolt on a nice power upgrade.

From this point, the compression ratio and cam should work together and be matched to a rear gear ratio and stall converter for the vehicle it will go in.
Everything else there after is simply basic bolt on's. Headers, exhaust, intake, carb, and what ever.

Even the stock heads, which may not flow so great, can perform very well. Getting 300/325 out of the stock long block should be easy to do. A mild cam can do this. Something like 210 or 216 intake duration @ .050 will do it. I myself would not really go beyond a duration @ .050 of 230 unless I was north of 9.0-1.

The use of a O.D. trans would be a real big help. You could drop the gear ratio to 4.10's and then get into the OD for a final drive ratio of 2.82.

Here is what i currently have in the truck.
93 magnum 318 factory heads/block has around 120k miles
pro comp dual plain air gap intake.
flotech 1 5/8 primary 3" collectors headers
600 cfm 4160 holley ( hate that carb)
206/212 @ .050" 258/264 adv .512 intake .522 exhaust
4 speed A833 OD and a 4.56 posi

It runs pretty damn strong now I just want more ;) lol.

Here is what i currently have in the truck.
93 magnum 318 factory heads/block has around 120k miles
pro comp dual plain air gap intake.
flotech 1 5/8 primary 3" collectors headers
600 cfm 4160 holley ( hate that carb)
206/212 @ .050" 258/264 adv .512 intake .522 exhaust
4 speed A833 OD and a 4.56 posi

It runs pretty damn strong now I just want more ;) lol.

LOL, yea, you got the bug, wanting more. I hear ya!

Try a larger cam by 20*'s @ .050 and EQ ported heads.
You hate the Holley? Is it the carb itself or brand?
If you make a move to the Carter/Edel. carb, go for the Thunder series AVS styled carb. The 650 CFM will do ya well.
Your exhaust size should be 2-1/2.

You have the gear to make this move. (Cam size)

I hate the 4160 style I want a 4150 mechanical secondary. I should have left the 750 edelbrock on it the motor seemed to like it better than the 600 holley.

I love a good double pumper. Nothin like a mechanical secondary in front of a manual trans.
The Carter AVS & TQ are also great for maual trans rides. The air door adjusts well.

Putting ported EQ heads on the 318 costs more then switching to a magnum 360 at this point. The 360 with your stock heads will make more power then a 318 with ported heads. Heck just changing the can at this point costs more then getting a 360 in there.

Putting ported EQ heads on the 318 costs more then switching to a magnum 360 at this point. The 360 with your stock heads will make more power then a 318 with ported heads. Heck just changing the can at this point costs more then getting a 360 in there.

More expensive, yes. Ported head always are. Even the change to the EQ heads unported are more expensive. But I totaly disagree on making more HP, or at least to the effect of worthy was in terms of money spent vs. power gained.
Though I want to voice support of making the change to a 360 over a 318 everytime, it's just not always worth the cost vs. wanting to simply build what you have all ready running and installed in your ride.

A stock Mag. 360 vs a ported head 318, I'll take you up on that bet anytime. I'll take the 318 and match ya part for part and take your money.

I didn't say a stock magnum 360, but a magnum 360 with stock heads. The MP360/380 makes over 400hp which so can a higher built 318 but the 318 will make less power overall under the curve and probably 50 less foot pounds of torque. Sort of important in a truck. Plus he says he has access to a mag360 so it is using what he has. He doesn't have a set of ported mag eq heads so how is that more cost effective?
318 can be OK but a 360 will always be better part for part, if he were going to invest in heads they would be even more effective on the 360 rather then trying to prove something with the 318.

There is another option now that I think about it. I would have to buy the 360 off my friend and I know nothing about it. My 318 holds good oil pressure but it does have one issue. It smokes if it ides for a while if I remember correctly wouldnt bad valve guide seals cause that? If so I could pull my heads new valve guide seals clean them up gasket match ect. Then put it back together with arp head bolts and good gaskets. I would probaly have 200-250 dollars in that. Then I could spend roughly another 1000 with what I have laying around and boost it I know the magnum pistons would handle 10-15 pounds.

Put a budget 318 together in highschool for my 87 Dakota
Bottom end rering, bearings, acid the block, crank polish, media pistons and rods, and Comp 270s cam $750
Ported 302 heads 1.88 1.60 valve seals etc. $450
Not including carb and intake

I didn't say a stock magnum 360, but a magnum 360 with stock heads. The MP360/380 makes over 400hp which so can a higher built 318 but the 318 will make less power overall under the curve and probably 50 less foot pounds of torque. Sort of important in a truck. Plus he says he has access to a mag360 so it is using what he has. He doesn't have a set of ported mag eq heads so how is that more cost effective?
318 can be OK but a 360 will always be better part for part, if he were going to invest in heads they would be even more effective on the 360 rather then trying to prove something with the 318.
Who said it was cost effective? Me? I certainly hope you didn't think I said it. If you did you have misread it all.
You come on over any time your ready with your Magnum 360/380 and be prepared to lose your money vs. my Magnum 318 with ported heads.

When ever your ready pal. LMAO!

I'm not arguing the 360 is a bad move, just that he'll have to purchase the engine first. And at what cost. Then re equip it for more power. This MAY be something he wants to avoid. But! IF he gets a 360, IMO, that's great too.

If he wants to do the 318, and not the 360 because that's what he wants to do, then why don't you ethier help and get behind him or STFU and shove off the planet. Just stop by LINY so I can take your money first.

Who the heck said he was trying to prove anything with the 318?!
He just wants to build it up. He has to purchase the 360. Having access to one is not the same as having one in your pocket.

I starting to wonder what freaking planet your from!

-
Back