Best performing non offset Small block Mopar heads

-
I’m in the same spot. Most big money bracket racers have nitrous on their cars to play top end games. I’ve kicked it around as I have almost everything sitting here unused for my heads up car. I’ve never tried nitrous so trying it could be very let’s say costly to me. Lol.
What’s the main strategy they use with nitrous on top end ?

catch up if you spun on the hit, or had a late light to maybe push the other guy out, or have him make a bad decision at the finish line

Or commonly called “spray n slide”. Spray the heck out of it and lock up the brakes. Stupidly at its best.

10 pages and absolutely no love for the Brodix BA/B1!

10 pages and absolutely no love for the Brodix BA/B1!
Are they any good?? I remember seeing pics of a set recently but I’ve never heard much about them. They take Chevy style rockers?

Are they any good?? I remember seeing pics of a set recently but I’ve never heard much about them. They take Chevy style rockers?

got a good friend running a well done set on a 70 Duster drag car. 260 something solid roller, 904, 3000 pounds, maybe a touch more, 12+ to 1 compression. Well sorted combo.
Been 10.27 best at 128.xx with them.
My brother has a set too, had some issues getting them installed in his 66 Dart. The exhaust ports are raised over stock, and the head is physically bigger. Headers car be a real pain in the ***, even worse obviously in an early A.
They make power, but nothing that i would say that separates it from others for the xtra trouble. Wouldn't be my first choice just because of the messing around needed from the several differences.
My brother got his nicely ported set along with older set of rockers and an intake for 1200 bucks at Norwalk 3 years ago in the swap meet…on my advice he bought them. There are also different revisions of them too. More than meets the eye with these, believe me
Now wish i hadn't offered the advice, and he had stayed with what he had

Last edited:
Having asked that Q to a couple folks after our W5 debacle I was told a hard NO on the Brodix head…. We were actually going to go with the Victors but they never materialized. Brett had a W8 top end collecting dust so we went with the “heads from some old truck” route.

Having asked that Q to a couple folks after our W5 debacle I was told a hard NO on the Brodix head…. We were actually going to go with the Victors but they never materialized. Brett had a W8 top end collecting dust so we went with the “heads from some old truck” route.

what’s your car weigh at the scales?

Has anyone had a hard running combo with Brodix heads? I've seen some that run okay, but nothing really impressive.

only known one guy who ran those heads, and it was a big,big under performer. Lived in Texas, big inch snallblock
Back in the the day( for what its worth) Ryan didn't like them at all
Maybe cause it was a "snallblock"? :D
Yeah I was being funny.
Its 9500+ rpm head .
I think there is such thing as too big for a 4"bore

Maybe cause it was a "snallblock"? :D
Yeah I was being funny.
Its 9500+ rpm head .
I think there is such thing as too big for a 4"bore

I'd think if they were a good option guys like Brett Miller would be using them on his big inch, high rpm small blocks.

Thought I would check back in to this thread after the bashing i took on here sharing what i knew about newly available heads.
I gave all the info i had at the time about them and how they performed during drag week on a car i was mildly familiar with.
Rod and his brother Vic are both friends of mine that live about an an hour away.
They met me at a now closed track near where they live 20 odd years ago after they watched me make a wheel standing 9.80 pass in my 3350 pound Duster( full interior, back seat, uncut etc, etc) they were together that day and ran right over after I got back to my pits. In retrospect, it was pretty cool.
Rod sold well regarded stroker kits for years, then offered a new head offering. It was a dud.

Fast forward a few years, his brother Vic ( who had zero to do with the original effort) decided to do a head based 100% on just his work.
Unlike most everybody here, I have the advantage of knowing the skill he has. It’s elite. As a former engineer myself( yea, 16 years of my life) I appreciate intelligent, analytical people.
So I knew the results would be special.They indeed were. I bought a set myself, with only that dragweek car as a hard result to see. I put my money where my mouth is, i bought a set.
We now know they been like 9.30’s at 2870, almost 117 in the 1/8. With a nothing at all special, 11.4 compression flattop short block. Like to see somebody bad mouth those results. They can’t.
What upset me was people accusing me of having some stake in them. No, I am just a genuinely nice person trying to maybe point a couple of racers, not mouth runners toward getting some for themselves.
.Gonna guess he has probably 15-20 sets out there, and I know they are
available currently. Two members private messaged me recently asking for his contact info. I asked him if he would allow me to share his number.
People don’t understand what it’s like to be tied up on the phone yacking with people who have no intention of buying anything and already have a busy full time job. I know well myself exactly what that is like.
And frankly, Rod wants racers buying them, that are likely to have good results, don’t blame him.

So knowing that, I didn’t feel comfortable blabbing his contact info. I figured if somebody was serious enough, they would PM me or do a little legwork themselves. But you can’t please all the hyenas, 98% of who never had any intention of ever buying them if a billboard with the phone number was in there front yard. It’s the nature of the internet. I am old school enough, I sometime let that frustrate me, I need to get better figuring that out.

I learned my lesson though on trying to honestly be helpful. Everything I said back then ended up 100% right. Fact. Three years later I don’t see reading on here a single person who was yapping in this long thread that ever bought a set of these. Except me, and the guy( Michael) with the badass 5.80’s Barracuda( BTW that car is ultra sweet) who along with couple other people who know me, defended me.

Last edited:
Don, there is no doubt those Bloomer heads are for real. If I wasn’t balls deep in the W8 stuff right now I would definitely have a set.

Just your garden-variety small block.
IMG_6659.jpg

I have nothing to add here other than to say that Rod is a really good guy and is a pleasure to deal with.

Yes, the ports are works of art. They're probably about as close to an offset-style opening as you can get with standard ports.
IMG_6493.jpg

It is taking some work to match the intake ports to these but I suppose that's a good problem to have.

Yes, the ports are works of art. They're probably about as close to an offset-style opening as you can get with standard ports.
View attachment 1716215259

It is taking some work to match the intake ports to these but I suppose that's a good problem to have.

I had a Victor ported, it doesn’t match perfectly, but it fits. Not much room at the top..lol Vic much prefers the Super Victor for these heads. They have the meat to match perfectly.If I had the hood clearance( I don’t, want to keep my factory flat hood) I would have talked Vic into doing a super Victor for me.

IMG_0016.jpeg

IMG_0014.jpeg

Last edited:
Not much room at the top..lol
That's the truth.

Frankly, I'm a little ashamed to post this pic since the trim job I did on these is so rough but I can say for sure that cutting these gaskets precisely is not easy. Thankfully I had enough sense to order a couple sets. Sometimes you gotta offer up a sacrifice to the horsepower gods.
IMG_6695.jpg

-
Back