Biggest Missed Opportunity (Mopar)

-

LJS30

Reaction score
Guys I write this thread because just right now I was discussing my biggest missed opportunity to date. This being the 1971 Dodge Challenger I could have purchased about 13 years ago for two thousand bucks. It was in an old warehouse over here in Rancho Cucamonga, California. But being the dummy I was back in those days I missed on pulling the trigger and one month later it was gone. How about your greatest regrets?

Man you car is just like a buddy of mine had once no ****.If yours has a 383 4 gear I will drop dead.His rotted away could of bought it 5 years ago for 800 bucks the drive train now a days if worth 4 grand thats mine.

Man you car is just like a buddy of mine had once no ****.If yours has a 383 4 gear I will drop dead.His rotted away could of bought it 5 years ago for 800 bucks the drive train now a days if worth 4 grand thats mine.

Man I wish it had a 383 inside!!!!!!! =P~

Not quite a Mopar but really close, 1969 Hurst Rambler S/C. 390 4 speed, all original down to the red white and blue paint. This was in 2004. $3,000 and all it needed was new paint a new door (little rusty). Didn't buy it because I was afraid of trying to find parts for it if I ever needed them. Now I see them for sell for $50-60,000.

Too easy. It was a brown 1970 Road Runner. Radio and heater delete, steelies w/dog dishes, Dana 60 w/locker, 426 Hemi, Coyote Duster scoop, pistol grip 4 speed, 1394 miles on the clock, sitting on a used car lot in Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it was October 1973 and I considered it a useless gas hog. All I could do with it at the time was drive it home (WV) and park it in dad's garage. Wish I had done it since I think I could get a little bit more than the asking price of $1350 for it now.

not a mopar, old neighbors 66 chevy II, rear halfed with a d60 and 4 link, full cage, fresh 880 (dynoed) 377, 2 fresh glides/brakes convertors and all kinds of new parts, $7k, he was just in one of those moods and did not want the car no more.....but as far as mopar, real clean 70 440 4 speed cuda, kid up the street had it, selling to keep his *** out of jail....the chevy II changed his mind when i waved the $$ at him, the cuda, somebody loaned him the money......

The list is long, but a couple from the top of the list have to be the one owner 1966 Satellite 426 Hemi, automatic, 35,000 miles in original paint for the asking price was$3,500. And a 1970 Hemicuda with no motor or trans for $ 6,500, these were both in 1989.

My brothers 71 Bee didn't have $1800.00 in 1975. The one I had and traded off a 76 Formula Firebird 400-4bbl 4spd and posi. that was 1980 traded it for a pontiac acadian stupid!

Around 1982 we sold a 69 roadrunner to the salvage yard for $50. 4 spd car with a blown motor, but pretty solid other than that.

All the HemiCuda converts that I could have ordered at cost at the C/P dealer that I worked at in Cincinnati.
Couldn't afford one then and can't afford one now.

Superbird,440 auto $5000.00 about 1980,same year numbers 340,4 speed swinger $800.00 stupid me.

My biggest missed one was when my best friend and I were offered three 69 GTXs and one 69 4-door Sattelite w/318 and A/C. We could have had all 4 cars for $4000, but we couldn't find anyone to let us store them at there homes and we were young airmen in the Air Force and couldn't afford storage; my buddy probably could have, but I know I couldn't have. Two of the GTXs and the Sattelite were all running cars w/ titles. The one GTX was just a carcass, but the other two were all original 440 auto cars. The column shift auto car was bronze exterior w/ black interior; it had very minor rust in the lower quarter on one side. The console auto car was blue w/ black interior; it needed a replacement quarter due to an accident. I still kick myself every once in a while for missing out on them.

A $385. 1969 Charger Daytona that I had been hunting for a month and a half. I would not give him that much because I knew that he only gave $50. for the car the week before. Later he did give me a Z bracket with turn signal assy. that came off that car. That part alone might be worth $385. to the right person. God bless you. Wayne

The one that got away from Me ...
Many years ago I had a chance to buy a 1970 barracuda .
A neighbor had it for sale for $1k I only had about $700. and couldn't come up with the rest . Car was sold out from under Me . Car had a wicked sounding 318 in it . body was straight and the chrome was all good . I eventually got a chance to own a 70 barracuda bit it was a p.o.s. and I soon parted with it. I have never found a good deal on an E-body since.

In 1988, I passed on a FREE, turquoise, on black, with a black vinyl top, 1972 Challenger, with a 318, and a 4 speed transmission. This guy's sister had driven it, and fried the clutch, so it just sat in his front yard. I lived in an apartment, and didn't have anywhere to work on it. I said "No" at first, then a week later, after considering my mistake, I told the guy I'd take it. By then, he had already given it to a needy member of his church, and even help the guy put a new clutch in it. Dohhhh!

Around 1976 or so I decided to check on a Superbird that had been sitting for 3 or 4 years beside a small garage in a small town. I walked in and startled a bunch of long-haired dopers who were passing a joint around. Just about freaked me out also as I hadn't been around too many people like that but I decided while I was there I'd ask about the car. Turns out they had put a motor in the car and the owner never returned to pay the bill and retreive the car. The car originally had a 440 in it but they had installed a 383. The owner of the garage told me he would sell me the car for $100 "but I'm not giving you a bill of sale or any paperwork with it." When he told me that I was afraid to buy it. I figured the cops had to be watching that bunch of dopers and if I tried to pull that bright yellow car out of there on a chain (nobody I knew had a trailer back then) and didn't have some sort of paperwork they would throw me in jail and forget about me.
The car was gone a week later. :angry7:
Don't get me started on the ones I OWNED then sold!
Dallas

In the 80s a nice clean Charger 500 some old guy had it but I wanted the hide away headlights:banghead:

It was 1996 and I found a 1969 formula S Cuda fastback. I went to the door and a guy come out,I asked if the car was for sale,His reply was sure.We towed it to his barn,threw a battery in,gas down the carb,and it fired.I jacked the rear up spun the wheel..Posi... In the trunk was a redline with steelie rim for a spare!! I asked How much? $2,100. I offered him $1,900. He wouldn't take it. I walked away for $200.00!! Did I mention that at the time my wife and I were separating and my mind wasn't clear..I phoned him a year later and of course it was gone!!! Stupid me!! The car was in decent shape..a running 69 formula S fastback Cuda!!

Pop had a line on two Hemi cars back in the early '80s. One was a '57 Chrysler with a 392, the other was a '67 Plymouth (can't remember the model) with, of course, the Elephant. Both were complete, both needed ground up restos. Both for $1000.00. The old gentleman who had 'em wouldn't sell 'em individually, they both had to go together. He got together with a fellow truck driver at the company who know of 'em and looked at 'em. Pop had the $500.00 for the Elephant car and the other guy had the $500.00 for the Whale engine. They got together and went to get 'em. Half way to the guys house they passed both cars going the other way on trailers...

There are so many over the last 28 years but the one that I regret the most was in 02 or 03 a local guy had a 69 GTX with an original 426 auto in it for $16,000 The car was for sale for several months, I could have barrowed the money but I sat on it too long. The car was a factory 440 car but had a Hemi installed by the dealer back in 1970 so it had everything correct for a Hemi car. Turns out that the original owner paid the difference for the Hemi when the Dealer warrantied the 440 after it blew. This car was very nice and not a project, it was in the show at Monster Mopar shortly after it sold. Turns out the guy that bought it took the Hemi out and reinstalled a 440 then sold it again.

The most recent was a friend of mine had a rust free 72 /6 Duster with a bad fender with only 40000 miles. The car was sitting for over 10 years and needed all the brakes lines replaced, he only wanted $1000 for it but I couldn't get myself to pay it since it was given to him to be hauled off.

I've posted this before but it always kills me to think about - maybe 8-9 years ago I looked at a completely original-to-the-wheel-covers '69 Dart 340. B5 blue with a black vinyl top, B5 interior all in very good condition, no rust. $3,000 OBO. Doh!!

1970 Boss 302 Mustang Beautiful factory orange paint in the early 80s with 50 thousand miles for 1500.00 dad wouldnt let me buy it. I was 15 and had the money but he said I would kill myself driving it. I am aware they have a large price tag now.

1968 Charger with a 4 speed, black on black, for $800 in 78 or 79, may have been 1980, i was still in high school.

1973 340 Duster, Lemon Twist, blackout Hood, auto on the column, $1500 in 1990-1991 DOH!

Buying back my 64 Custom 880 from the dude that bought and restored it, for $3000, which was really all the car was worth, but hey i grew up with that car. didnt have the money

-
Back