Biohazard

-
You're car isalmost unreal! How on earth is it possible to find such a car! Hats off my friend! That's a keeper for sure.

Looks solid as a rock too. Subscribed

The posts on mine are mostly gone because of PO having at it, so epoxy it will be.

Did you polish your lenses, and if so, what did you use?

Your garage is looking good, I'll bet it feels good to be settling into some place that it sounds like you are happy with after all the moving around.

Man, it really does. We are both really happy with the place now that we've rendered fixes for all the things 'wrong' with it. The paint on the walls is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. We've redone the flooring throughout, knocked out a wall, added an 8-foot kitchen countertop, relocated the island in the kitchen, did a stone face on the fireplace, misc repairs, and have just started some landscaping where there simply was NONE! (planted 8 trees in the last week with 2 more to go). Funny thing is we really didn't like the house at all but with our lease running out and few options to choose from, we kinda just sucked it up knowing we'd have a project on our hands but with 98% of it behind us...its ours now and it feels that way.
And DAMN I love the garage! :D

So I don't really remember doing anything special with the lenses other than just using a dab of light polishing compound which I'm sure is still sitting in my car juices locker. Turtle Wax, maybe? The lenses were in pretty good shape to start.

65Dartcharger - yeah, lucky find for sure. I didn't think I was going to be able to afford it because the seller and I both thought the car would be worth more but after some research, I realized the value wasn't there - certainly not in its then-current condition - which meant I could actually afford the initial outlay and, provided I was willing to put in the time and money to bring it up to spec, I'd have something to brag about.

Not there yet, though, so stick around :coffee2:

Annual checkride tomorrow.
Goes one of two ways:
A) I pass, keep my job, have time to relax and go work on the 'Cuda.
B) I fail, lose my job, have plenty of time now to work on the 'Cuda.

I'm a winner, either way.

Okay - survived that and slowly setting my attention back on the fish.

Went to a huge local car show and cruise - took my GTI - spent the time wishing I could have brought the Barracuda, lol.

Completed a bit more of the underhood wiring. Easing back into it, you might say.

Congrats on the checkride!!:cheers:

Nice work on the wiring! I noticed today my tape is unraveling in places.

Looks like you may be ordering a battery tray...or doing some metal work.

Got to be time to wire up the starter - remembered I wanted to wrap the pipes and quickly figured it would be easier to wrap with the starter out of the way. Pulled starter, wrapped the downpipe on that side, reinstalled the starter and connected the starter cables.

Def happy to be done with the check!
The flange holes are oval - I think it's an optical thing?

Who's got the "correct" way to route the starter cable in an A-body small block?

It runs towards the firewall, the rings that bolt to the starter are actually bent towards the rear of the starter.
The wire clips to a bracket under the steering column.

Alright, cool. I started running the cables like you were saying and, suddenly, it just made sense. I need to get back underneath tomorrow to find that bracket you were referring to and I need some of those straps that secure the wire bundles to the fender.

Alright, cool. I started running the cables like you were saying and, suddenly, it just made sense. I need to get back underneath tomorrow to find that bracket you were referring to and I need some of those straps that secure the wire bundles to the fender.

I circled it in green...

Attachments

• teeth.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 411
  • DSC06412.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 453
Ah..I see. For some reason I thought he meant that it was under and attached to the steering column or gearbox. Funny thing is I was wondering what the heck ran thru there for it to be such a large retainer. Thanks to you both!

Starter relay wired up all nice and tidy.

I'm just happy that I've gotten any forward momentum.

f6n-beauty.jpg

https://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=f6n
We use this stuff at work. Is slicker than snot and looks factory when done. A small zip tie where wires come out works great and if you ever need to get to a wire or add another it is a piece of cake

I used that wire wrap stuff. Different brand but same style super easy to work with and looks very nice.

Might do something like that as a 'finishing touch' sort of thing but for now it's just about getting all of the right wires in the right place. Thanks for the link!

Garage is becoming a very happy place. I continue to move things from 'holding' areas to their permanent positions and have almost decimated that huge wall of boxes. Getting back into the fish now with attention set on the ignition system.

Reinstalling distributor: The cap, rotor, and all that do work but have some wear on them. I'll be replacing that stuff eventually but just wanted to get the system together and in place. Body of the dizzy needed a shot of Marine Clean to get the crud off...

Clocked the motor to #1 TDC, remove the year-and-a-half old painter's tape and dropped it in with a new O-ring. Then I mounted the coil and made the appropriate connections to it.

^ while I was on this...I noticed my throttle cable was improperly routed behind the transmission linkage pivots so I squared that away.

One of the most enjoyable things was manually rotating that crank and feeling everything moving smoothly internally. First time since the block was reassembled in January of 2014! Shout-out to Harbor Freight for the 1 1/4" impact socket for $3.99.

Got a little excited and thought I'd stick the key in and see if she would turn over. Answer is - no. I get the audible click, sounds like the starter solenoid is being energized, but not even an attempt to spin the rotating mass.

This led to me pulling out the starter and testing it on the floor of the garage.

With 12 volts from the car's battery via heavy duty jumper cables, the starter engages and spins like a champ. (while I was there, I went ahead and tested the other one I bought and it, too, works fine...smoother, actually, than the one in the car).

So I'm thinking - maybe I need better ground cables? The positive lead to the starter and its solenoid are new. The battery is healthy - no concerns there. The negative cable from the battery to the left cylinder head, however, is old and shitty looking and I do not yet have a ground strap bridging the right cylinder head to the firewall. You guys think I just need to get my grounding situation in proper order?

Its a ground issue.
You have to ground the body and the engine to get it to work.

There should be three grounds, one on the back of the block to the firewall, and another off the negative battery terminal to the radiator support, the large one goes off the battery to the head.

If the body is not grounded it will not roll the starter.

If the body is not grounded it will not roll the starter.

I disagree with this statement. Batt neg lead to block and pos lead to starter relay and then the starter, it should spin over. Has to. That is the same as using the jumper cables.
Not saying it isn't a ground issue. I would check the relay first and the connections to the starter.:D

I do believe its a ground issue based on what I've got on hand. Since the ONLY ground I had was a rotten cable from battery to cyl head - I think that is the weak link in my circuit. I did have the body ground connected at the rad support but it seems to me that this is more for the benefit of the lights up front. Start relay is new, positive leads are new. I'm surprised that it won't turn the starter since, using ALL crappy old cables, it started just fine when I bought it. Finding an 18ish inch neg cable with the extra little dingle wire is proving to be a task. I may just run my own using ring terminals and some robust, black wire.

-
Back