Birth of the Blue Missile

-
Andrew,
I started reading this from the start. You my friend are a wordsmith very interesting stories! And by the way your bumper is upside down !:)

TT,
Here is a pic of the test panel in the sun, I tried to do a fade with the candy from sky blue to cobalt but 12" is not alot of room to do it in.
Big Dog,
thanks for the kudos on the story. If you really enjoyed it, I doubled the content an created an E book with pics that is now being distributed by Amazon and others in their Ebook store. Appropriately it is called "The Birth of the Blue Missile"
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo666.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 782
hey Andrew....how's our buddy Scott (528hemidart)

if you see him around...tell him we miss him. (hope were not on his $hitlist)

Denny,
the last time I saw Scott was at Cabellas in a Sat daytime show a couple months ago
Andrew

Since yesterday was crappy outside I started on the electronics again. I got the control panel for the helmet com system done, I will probably paint it all black, because of some fitment issues I wont bag it with carbon. The first pic is of the helmet mics and the second is a pic of the Starset used for the two way radio. I still have to build the PTT(push to talk)relay box and connect it all up. Today I did get some time to put some more 80mil mat down. Progress is slow but steady, day job interference, issues.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000011.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 707
  • WP_000014.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 699
  • WP_000015.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 709
I hate it when work gets in the way. I am having that issue right now as well.

I finally got a replacement hinge and restored it and installed it on the passenger door, It works like a charm. I also got a start on the wiring putting the package tray/speakers back and running the wires for the de-froster. Tomorrow Ill start to strip the doors of panels and mirrors setting them up for the paint.
Andrew

Yesterday a member of the local club came by and we got the doors off and Jambed with epoxy primer and paint, and re installed. I now have to put the glass and electric regulators in. I need a pic of the door glass with the bottom track in place, I forgot to take a pic two years ago.
Andrew

Yesterday a member of the local club came by and we got the doors off and Jambed with epoxy primer and paint, and re installed. I now have to put the glass and electric regulators in. I need a pic of the door glass with the bottom track in place, I forgot to take a pic two years ago.
Andrew

I can't wait to see how this works. If you would, please detail EVERYTHING you do for the power windows, Unless of course that top secert info!
Love the build.....

Wow! I am new to this sight and car building been playing around with ideas on one of the buids iam working on. When someone directed me to your postings about a spoiler. I hope in years to come and with skill and money i will be able to with the help of others make my own car. For know daydreaming and planning. Thanks for sharring it with us in case its not in Gods will for the rest of us to do as you have we can live vicariously through ya.

Mark,
do you have pics of the bottom glass track on the glass even if you take a couple of pics with the glass in the door with the inside panel removed?
Andrew

Mark,
do you have pics of the bottom glass track on the glass even if you take a couple of pics with the glass in the door with the inside panel removed?
Andrew

Andrew, My windows are out and all the regulators are removed. I do have a spare door and I'm wondering if the glass in still in there.... I will look tomorrow!

Andrew, My windows are out and all the regulators are removed. I do have a spare door and I'm wondering if the glass in still in there.... I will look tomorrow!

better wear some gloves...i think I tried to...ahh...kill some weeds near that door on my last visit

Hey...it's a 4hr trip.....three cups of coffee....you do the math...

sorry for the highjack...but I gotta defend my honor!

Thanks to all of you who helped sort this out, between a couple of pics and texts it is clear now.
I will say this ONLY applies to 1973 5 hole windows. It seems that was a bastard year, and no other glass is the same.
First pic is of the two vertical rollers and the attachment points for the window track.
The next two are of the track in place with the piece it contacts at full height called the window stop. This bolts to the top of the door shell.
Once this was figured out I had to stop the install because I needed to finalize the handle locations with epoxy primer, filler and a final coat of paint, so I could install the handles for the last time. Once the glass is in I wont be able to get to the attachment nuts for the relocated handles. Most of that got done last night. More pics later.

Attachments

• WP_000018.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 508
  • WP_000017.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 504
  • WP_000019.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 511
Still working out the final paint formula, I sent away for three colors of blue micro flake to bring that portion of the spectrum to the forefront.
Here is the result with a very thin coat of clear. In the split image Left is the new one right is the original Kirker formula.
Both look like plain black except in the direct sun.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000022.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 488
  • WP_000023.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 483
Im beginning to hate spring, between the grass which is growing like weeds and getting the pepper garden started, there is little time for the car.
I did get the roof and pillars sanded back down to bare metal and primed with epoxy primer. I hope to get the rest of the car to that stage by the end of the weekend. Pics to follow.
Andrew

Work has started in earnest on the interior.
There are a bunch of interior posts about the dash pad, package tray, side panels in the body and interior forum, but I thought I would post the pics of the interior clean up here. I am forced to use a 4" grinder and a wire cup type wheel to get at the surface rust. I know its not as sexy as writing a check to have the car blasted, but it is still in the driveway.
The two front floor pans definately need replacing and a small patch in the trunk passenger side right next to the exterior panel, but thats all I can find in the interior. As I get a section down to metal I am spraying it with rattle can primer as a temp coating. I am astounded at the lack of welds I am finding.
More as it happens.
Andrew

for all of your interior, did you just wire brush and then primer? I have some surface rust under the sail panels in a 73-74 and its hard to get to!

primer off....primer on. I got the two rear quarters done today with the epoxy. One section at a time then Rage Gold surfacing filler.
Andrew

Attachments

• WP_000037.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 703
  • WP_000038.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 695
-
Back