Birth of the Blue Missile

-
Andrew, keep up the good work. I myself have more bars than 6th street does here in Austin!

Attachments

• car 004.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 635
it's just a little sumthin' his (Hemidart528) wife likes to put him in when he gets a little............lets say ....wild

Scott,
yeah but you can get to 360* of all of your bars. Welding with a mirror is a pain in the ***.
Andrew

more progress on the roll cage, I got the rear bars in place as tight to the corner as possible. I still have the sheet metal to patch and fill for fire proofing. Now that the cage is stable I also have to build the triangulation bars from the removable horizontal bar.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo439.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 576
  • Photo442.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 586
  • Photo441.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 579
My heart races every time I look at the progress on this build. I've been through the entire thread twice on dial-up and every time I find something new. And I just got High speed internet yesterday and that just means I can watch the videos too lol.

Jr thanks for the praise.
Here is the progress on the cage. I now have the removable center horizontal triangulated.I used some of the .25" wall tubing from the four link which fits quite nicely inside the dom tubing as attachment points for the down tubes. I still have a few gussets to install for the tubes intersecting the main hoop and the sheet metal to patch, but its mostly all there.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo443.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 525
  • Photo444.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 522
as part of the lay out I took a small framing square and transferred the outline of the rear seats to the floor before I removed them. all is clear.
Andrew

Sweet fab. I just don't see how the horizontal will remove? Looks like the two at the hump are welded to the plates welded to the floor. I'm sure I'm missing something?

ask and you will receive.
I still need to drill the junction for the thru bolts.
But all you need to do is lift straight up.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo445.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 499
AHHHHHHHHHH.......kinda sneaky though.......we like!

Thanks. That's pretty slick. From the first set of pictures you couldn't tell the tube wasn't welded to the plate. Are you going to install 5-point harnesses in the back for passengers?

Joe,
the Cadillac seats have three point belts built in and for back seat passengers there will be no center horizontal.I dont really think there will be much call for the rear seats my wife INSISTED I install, after she rides in the car only once. She complains about the .5G force we pull doing the u turn under the freeway. Forget about 90* turns at 60MPH.
IN the mean time I have the final gussets in place and will clean up some of the welds slightly, I know you are not supposed to grind your welds down, and get the cage painted.By the way the cage material weighed in at 100lbs.
Denny
I tried to tell yall some of the Extras I had planned and I got all kinds of LMAO, LOL, BULLSHIT sort of comments. SO......I will be looking for a bumper sticker that has a warning about jet exhaust!
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo446.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 457
Rock-on my friend!!....you and I definately move to a different beat (than others)....and I love every minute of it

Andrew, I hear ya about the back seats and wife only going for a ride once. You could always start a business and charge folks for a "joy ride", $100/hour @ 1/2 hour (probably longer than anyone not a total car nut could take) X 3 passengers @ $50 = $150. And you get to ride for free . . . it may take its toll after a while but think of installing cameras and selling DVDs @ $25. Would be a wild amusement attraction if you could locate a place to do it safely. I'm sure (since "you ain't right) you've considered this at some point, if not (since it was my idea) you can cut me in at 5%, that would help fund my project. LOL

"I don't have a problem with INSANITY, I enjoy every moment"

Rock on brother.

In reality Joe the only back seat that will have any room is the passenger side back seat. It looks cool with four seats and will keep the insurance down still being a family car and all.
Andrew

Andrew,
I know what you mean I am going to say my Duster will be a family car, but my wife is the only one that will be sitting in it.

-
Back