brisket recipie and cooking tips

-

jimjimjimmy

lobsterman
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am hoping that some of you guys and girls would share your brisket recipe and cooking tips im planning on smoking up a brisket but never done one before . any smoking and cooking tips?

I do brisket the same as boston butt. I smoke it all day long. Shortly before it's done, I mix up my sauce in the crock pot. When it's done smoking, I put it in the crock pot and cook it there until I can pull it apart with a small fork. That's all you're getting. lol

I smoke mine for 12 hours or a little longer at 250 using hickory and pecan wood mix. I want to try Cherry wood one day,I heard it gives a different and distinct flavor.

Aaron, you might want to check in with memike. I seem to remember him doing a brisket or a leg of venison or something like that. It sure looked good at the time. Was wrapped in bacon and tinfoil if I recall correctly.

Jack

I cant figure out how to light it it after Ive rolled it up.

Oh and careful. Somebody might start a thread callin you nasty names for havin a sense of humor. lol

Somebody beat you to it.

:poke:

THERE. It's my turn. lol

I do brisket the same as boston butt. I smoke it all day long. Shortly before it's done, I mix up my sauce in the crock pot. When it's done smoking, I put it in the crock pot and cook it there until I can pull it apart with a small fork. That's all you're getting. lol
thanks rob how about a recipe for that crock sauce or is that the biggest secret since Watergate .

well that's a little advanced for my cooking skills of American food but I have my adoptive uncle here that does that and he makes "Texas style Brisket" but he built this little outhouse looking thing in the back yard and it has a thing on the bottom where you put coals and they are real selective about which coals go in and on some meats they use branches from an Apricot or Apple tree ...only fruit tree branches work .....just regular tree branches are not used and dutch elm trees are forbidden.

they usually smoke it in there for hours and maintain the temp ...so its an all day baby sitting job that I have been stuck having to babysit it to make sure the temp stays right.

thanks rob how about a recipe for that crock sauce or is that the biggest secret since Watergate .

4 bottles of hickory bbq sauce. 1/4 cup mustard. 1/2 cup brown sugar. 1 cup of Southern Comfort.

Do you mix the SoCo into the sauce or drink it while cooking it ?

I actually love to cook and Ive wanted to do brisket for some time now. Gotta get me a good smoker.

If I told you I,d have to snuff ya out.

Attachments

• DSC00227 (Large).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC00229 (Large).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 226
If you don't feel like spending all day or night tending a smoker, get some Claude's Brisket Marinade, pour about a half bottle in an electric roaster, add water until it's a couple inches deep. Chunk in the brisket fat side up, set the roaster on 250, put the lid on and forget it for about 4-5 hrs. Check the water level, turn down to 200 or so and go to bed. Done. Next morning it will fall apart.

Claude's has a pretty decent flavor for a store bought marinade, but it can be a little stout, so go easy. I get rave reviews from all my redneck Texas kinfolks, hell even a couple of my aunts from Mississippi took some home with them last reunion we had. Kinda surprised by that.

I use something like this to smoke one. Rub the brisket down with coarse ground sea salt, pepper and garlic. Use some apple wood and in the drip pan put an entire bottle of Merlot and then the same size bottle of water. Let it smoke about 2 hours per pound.

bbq-smoker2.gif

The second to last time my oldman tried to barbecue with the family I put marijuana in his barbecue pit. When he came back outside from marinading the meat, the neighbor hood smelt like our house was token'...

I sure do miss some good barbecue!

I am hoping that some of you guys and girls would share your brisket recipe and cooking tips im planning on smoking up a brisket but never done one before . any smoking and cooking tips?

Do you already have the smoker? What kind of smoker /cooker are you planning on using? Texas style is done by means of indirect heat and smoke from specific species of wood as Rani mentioned. When I spent 5 years there, everyone was using pecan wood for the heat / smoke. It takes hours (start at 3am to serve lunch) to get it so tender it is served on a paper plate and eaten with a plastic fork. No knife. Awesome eats, that Texas brisket.

Pecan wood? Never had that brisket. It was always made from Mesquite when I had it back home (Texas). I am interested in all these new (to me) different woods used/mentioned such as cherry & pecan.

I'm from Texas...and I spice the meat and then seer it on the Grill and then put it in the slow cooker. :) Those smokers can be a pain in the Azz...to keep it at the right temp all day long.

Pecan wood? Never had that brisket. It was always made from Mesquite when I had it back home (Texas). I am interested in all these new (to me) different woods used/mentioned such as cherry & pecan.

I had some BBQ near Monroe NC that was smoked with Cherry and man it was good.

thanks for all the tips guys and to rob for sharing that great crock sauce I have an electric smoker it seems to do good I will get a few pics later im a new to smoking meat but I have smoked lots of mackerel and herring and damn its good.i cant get a brisket until Tuesday so im getting prepared I cant wait . keep them tips coming .

-
Back