Buddy is at the parts store, quick question about Booster...

-

JCMini30

Reaction score
I need to change my brake booster on my 76 Duster V8. Parts store told us they found one and ordered it. My buddy is picking it up right now and now they say it wont work on the V8 because its made for the /6. Is this true? Bolt holes to brackets/master cylender all are the same. I dont see why there would be a difference.

Demensions are slightly bigger but Ive measured and it seems it will have plenty of room...

ANY insight into this would be appreciated. The parts store is an hour away and dont want to make the drive more than once.

I didn't either, worst case scenario you will have to take it back if it doesn't work. Just keep every thing clean and intact.

For the record it doesn't fit. Too big around... Hits the valve cover... Now where to find one that will fit.

For the record it doesn't fit. Too big around... Hits the valve cover... Now where to find one that will fit.
Yeah, after 12/1/75 they used two different boosters. A 6cyl one and an 8cyl type. Why is anybody's guess. Try getting the '73-early '76 type.

Me too. I makes one scratch ones head as to why they would make things so differently for the same car and a different engine.
Especially since they were going to discontinue the body style that year. Why not just run the '73-5 design out the door instead of making two different ones for half a year. No wonder Chrysler was having financial problems at that time with those bonehead ideas.

i got mine from SSBC because no one had a remain one in the us
and ssbc is new. buy the one with bracket as their booster did not fit my /6 car bracket.
mine was on a 71 Dart

I am guessing your booster mounts on stand-off brackets to clear the valve covers, since all A-bodies I have seen do, even aftermarket boosters. Maybe with a slant-six they could skip the bracket, but I haven't seen that. If no luck getting an older booster model, the double-diaphragm types are smaller diameter for the same braking power, but most are after-market and $$$.

They did start using an aspen/volare booster for the 76 model year since both cars were in production at the same time. I had a 76 dart that had an f body booster. Try ordering 1 for 73-6 abody

This is why parts stores are such a POS nowadays, with computers. In the OLD days we'd ha got out the REAL parts book, the one with casting no's and interchange, and it WOULD NOT MATTER what the original was off off.

If you live in a large enough city, you might see if there's a local rebuilder. Even the "small town" of Spokane used to have one.

-
Back