Budget 340 Upgrades

-
The car is really nice for New England. But it did sit out under a cover so it is no show car. It has dings and dents needs paint, needs interior work. No major rot though. I can get my hands on a 340 that is already rebuilt probably for a good price. The engine is unknown as to what cam is in it.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

I can really only see myself redoing one engine for this car so I figured why not do the one that belongs in it. I do not have a good place to store the engine and it will most likely be ruined if left hanging around.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

How much lift can the stock heads support with cutting the guides and changing the springs?

Leak down tester came today so I'll find out how much work this motor needs. I had thought the Edelbrock/MP perf heads would be a good move. Better flow, slight bump in compression over my open chamber heads and room to grow. can I run the comp 268xe with all stock valve train?

Close to what I'm putting together next week , comp 262 xe edelbrock alu heads , and crane 1.6 rockers , with the rockers the exh lift will be .502 , I think .Have .30 over Mahle 10.5 forged pistons Hope it runs well with the new heads cam and rockers . If you are getting pistons they are a good choice ,much lighter than the stock pistons . I have 10,000 miles on them and the engine is still in good shape , use no oil between changes and I change it every 4,000 miles .

If the leak down numbers are good I'm leaving the bottom end alone for now. I may just do a quick cam and lifters and save money and collect parts over the winter.

I'm hoping it is but either way the 73 pistons are below deck down in the hole so they really need to go. I was thinking I could do some stuff now and get to enjoy it some before it snows. My plan is to pull the motor tranny and sub frame and go through everything this winter. Sand blast paint and all bushings for the suspension. 12 inch front brakes. Put a kit in the tranny. Stroker kit in the motor. I know I don't have time and money to get it done and still have some time to enjoy driving it in the fall.

The pistons (72-73 340) are usually about .050 - .060 down in the hole, combined with stock J Heads, which have combustion chambers around 70-72cc, you have about 8.2:1 compression.

This is just my opinion, but if it was me, I'd build another 340/360 and stash the original under a workbench. But in the end it's your car and your decision.

I stored the original 340 out of my '73 Duster and the original 318 out of my '74 Duster-Twister and built an R3 340 for them. Actually, the Blown R3 340 for the '74 got transplanted into the '73 and I decided to build a Blown Hemi for the '74.

Leak down test is done. Here's the results 1=30%, 8=40%, 4=28%, 3=15%, 6=15%, 5=20%, 7=32%, 2=28%. The leak down is all past the rings. Valves are all sealing well. I'm surprised it doesn't push any oil out the breather. It may seal better while running I guess.

-
Back