Building a wrecked SRT8 Challenger

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
A shop owner/ customer and I are working together on rebuilding a wrecked 2010 SRT8 Challenger. We committed to the purchase and should get it on Tuesday. It's a loaded 6 speed, orange, and needs right front repairs as well as dash and air bags. I'm getting excited. I hear these are rocket ships! tmm

hack it up and make it a 2 door.

LOL Sorry I was thinkin Charger. been a long day.

A shop owner/ customer and I are working together on rebuilding a wrecked 2010 SRT8 Challenger. We committed to the purchase and should get it on Tuesday. It's a loaded 6 speed, orange, and needs right front repairs as well as dash and air bags. I'm getting excited. I hear these are rocket ships! tmm

best wishes on your new toy ....i hope it works out ......rebuilding wrecked cars can be a rough deal as some of them are totaled for good reason........but hopefully you will luck out with an easy fix.

i did that on a neon when i was in auto school and got burned, but a neon is no where near the car you have going....plus i got a salvage title which killed the value. oh well. great experience and fun memories though

Cool car if it's repaired right.
Sure beats 45 grand for a new one!
How about some pics?

Keep us updated Mike! Yes, I have seen these stripped down and make
for a great driver/door slamer/racer .:burnout:
Looking forward to you built to get started :hello2:

Purchase price was......
Pictures of the wrecked car please!

I should have some photos late Tuesday. It was hit in the right front wheel area. It needs a RF fender, headlight, and bumper cover, wheel,spindle,strut, control arms, and cradle. It did pop the dash bags and break the windshield. I would rather not get into the buying details but we should hopefully be able to build it for a little over $20,000. Although a branded title, it should be worth $25+ when done. I'll keep you posted. tmm

Can't wait to see the photos of the beast . Going to rebuild factory , or building it with more speed and stability in mind ?

It is going to take the right buyer to get good money out of a car with salvage title....assuming that is what it has...

With all the flooding going on there is going to be a ton of cars with salvage and rebuilt titles. Be careful might lose your *** on this project. Good luck on your endeavor. Bill

Just the airbag components are going to be a fortune. Control module, seat sensors, seat belt pre tensioner, airbags.

If you don't do it correctly you could be responsible for killing a 4 year old little girl and her puppy if they are ever in that car and it's involved in another collision.

And it sounds like it needs at least one frame rail. You can't repair or section in the crush zone of a rail.

That's not something I would want my name associated with. You are looking at a 3 way split of $5000, maybe, going by your numbers.

With all the flooding going on there is going to be a ton of cars with salvage and rebuilt titles. Be careful might lose your *** on this project. Good luck on your endeavor. Bill

I hope our careful planning will prevent that although there are always bumps in the road. It might take us longer to complete if we can't find reasonably priced used parts..

Just the airbag components are going to be a fortune. Control module, seat sensors, seat belt pre tensioner, airbags.

If you don't do it correctly you could be responsible for killing a 4 year old little girl and her puppy if they are ever in that car and it's involved in another collision.

And it sounds like it needs at least one frame rail. You can't repair or section in the crush zone of a rail.

That's not something I would want my name associated with. You are looking at a 3 way split of $5000, maybe, going by your numbers.

Everything needs to be correct and working like new when done. Until we get the car disassembled we won't know for sure what it needs. The parts I listed above we need fore sure. We hope the wheel/front suspension/cradle took the brunt of the damage. I have 2 top notch frame machine techs on my route if it needs to go on the rack. We will start off with a camera and follow the repair progress along the way. The photo album will be a open book to any prospective buyers. tmm

normally they total them if the bags are popped.

i bought a 2001 dodge intrepid ES with a crunched hood, upper rad support, and damaged headlamps thru a buddy of mine who does the salvage pool thing. car popped both bags, no frame damage but it was 7 years old they totalled it. everything was bolt on with a little welding on the upper rad support. cheap car , made $2K on it.

sometimes you can get good rebuilders this way. a car like that SRT i would only buy and fix for myself, and drive the hell outta it. its a high dollar car, and with something like this the buyers are prob gonna carfax it, and look it over pretty carefully.

just my .02
matt

If it's like Georgia, you can have the car inspected after the repair (the GBI does it here) and a regular title can be reissued. No salvage title. A regular title. At least that's how it was as late as 1992. Been out of it a while so the laws may have changed.

Just got the Challenger yesterday. Tomorrow we are planning on putting it on the hoist for a closer look and to make a parts list. It really isn't bad. The front bumper cover and left front fender are the items that need painted and Tony already has a bumper cover that is the correct color. It just needs touch up in a couple places. We could see no split seams or broken spotwelds in the front end or cowl area. Most of the damage was from the cradle and front suspension on the drivers side. Oh I'm sure there will be expensive surprises but we bought it right so we have a cushion in case we find something expensive to fix. I'll keep you posted with the progress and photos. tmm

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,218
  • 019.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,227
  • 017.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,240
  • 015.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,216
  • 014.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,239
  • 011.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,243
  • 007.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,227
Here's a few more.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,192
  • 009.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,195
  • 008.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,183
  • 005.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,193
  • 004.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 1,202
  • 003.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,196
  • 001.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,213
  • 021.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,243
"I love the "open wheel" look. Some inner finder liners and cycle fenders....

No, eh?"
lol.

-
Back