Building your own headers.

-
Years ago my wife and I built a set of headers for my ‘70 Mustang and I recall it took us about three hours to make each tube. Just wanted to give you a gauge as to how much time you’ll have in them.

Years ago my wife and I built a set of headers for my ‘70 Mustang and I recall it took us about three hours to make each tube. Just wanted to give you a gauge as to how much time you’ll have in them.
thanks for the info. i figured it going to take me a long time to build them.

ok dumb question time. lol who do you recomend i get the plates from?

The plates are still available from Hedman. I made a set out of aluminum by hand but figured being aluminum they may fail with time. When I finally found the RIGHT part number I ordered a set. My old set were opened up to 360-1 Indy size so now I have everything covered.

image.jpg

You can try Tubular Automotive in Mass. they have W2 and J head adapter plates they produce for the one header they make for A bodies.

I have also seen adapters for W2 heads on eBay.

You can try Tubular Automotive in Mass. they have W2 and J head adapter plates they produce for the one header they make for A bodies.

I have also seen adapters for W2 heads on eBay.
Thank you for the info. I will call them and see what they say. I take it the adapter plates that Pittsburgracer posted. I will have to port them to fit my exhaust ports.

I haven't got to call Tubular Automotive yet. but I was looking at parts for my Dakota on this web site and found these. will they are what I am needing right?
Spintech Header Port Plate Kit

I haven't ordered anything yet. just making sure i am looking for the right parts.

My exhaust guy/fabricator is a Tig-God. He'll be building headers for Krusty. He's done all my last few cars...

MotoFab - Home

I can remove these headers so easy… they were patterned after the Hedman Hustlers from our iron head mill. I admire the skills it takes to build these. I can’t imagine how long it would take me to tackle a project like this. When you live 50 miles from one of the best in the biz it’s a no brainer. Dropped the car off at 7am…. was done by 3.

View attachment 1716069770

View attachment 1716069772

View attachment 1716069773
Those look like my ProParts big block A body headers in design. 1 out, 3 in. I had to section the outboard pipe in a little and mod a lower bend of one of the runners to fit a 451 in my 65 Barracuda. I made a set of 1 3/4 LA headers for same car out of a set of 67+ Hooker Race headers . Just rerouted 3 primaries. a chop saw is your best friend and I bought some Hooker butt-fit rings, sort of a ring with a flange on both sides to center the pipes while welding. Learn TIG, flux core (!) and gas are very hot and burn through old pipe very easily. New pipe is alot easier but still had some burn throughs.

-
Back