built a new package tray

-
I'll take one for a 1970 dart swinger. Didn't you say $26.00 plus shipping? LOL

yg 2.0....it looks great and I might end up doing that...with the 1/8" board and material, how much height is left in the opening?...kind of a connected question....to get the seat back out, does it release bottom out first or top out first or some other way? I have a 73 2dr Dart and am just learning about the car... once again, nice job!!!!!! Greg

The seat back slides down onto a set of hooks behind the seat. Pull out and up. It comes out easy. There is plenty of room for package tray. Factory one is 1/8" in also.

I made one basically the same way...

Question for anyone who has made one this way- did you have any problems with a film on the inside of the windows? I have a horrible film that builds up on my glass (if the car sits for a week or so it looks like Cheech and Chong were in the car for a day or two) and I pretty much narrowed it down to fumes coming out of the spray adhesive. If I cover the rear package tray it pretty much stops... just curious if anyone who used the 3m spray adhesive inside their car has run into this.

Would a 73 4 door dart custom have the same size package shelf? ( I know there are some differences through the years) If so, I will definitely be hittin you up for one of those templates

Question for anyone who has made one this way- did you have any problems with a film on the inside of the windows? I have a horrible film that builds up on my glass (if the car sits for a week or so it looks like Cheech and Chong were in the car for a day or two) and I pretty much narrowed it down to fumes coming out of the spray adhesive. If I cover the rear package tray it pretty much stops... just curious if anyone who used the 3m spray adhesive inside their car has run into this.

I have heard rumor that this is caused by gases being released from the vinyl.

Very nice youngun2.0. Thanks for sharing. I need to make one for my Duster. The car came without one, so it'll be fun making the template LOL :violent1:

Pat

I am curious how this had held up over a few years? Any peeling or bubbling in the vinyl? Does it get much sun?

The fogging problem comes from the vinyl used….the plasticisers are being leached from the vinyl and collect as a film on the glass….some vinyl are worse than others and some vinyl treatments make this far worse as they are basically silicon and just add a gloss to the vinyl….if you can find it in the US, we find 303 Protectant brand to be the best, in fact it is the only product like this that can be used in aircraft…

I went a different direction and made mine out of 16 Gauge steel with a 1/4" step in it and painted it to match the exterior.

Attachments

• duster%20020.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 007.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 188
  • 039.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 12.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 141
I was planning on doing this for my rear shelf. Where did you get the vinyl?

ETA: Should have read the entire thread, I see you got it at Joann fabric.

-
Back