Bulk head connection issues

-

Valiantknight

Reaction score
Engine looses power every once in a while, wiggle the bulk head connector and its good again wanna just get this fixed once and for all, ignition circut wires have corrosion in them and the connectors are pretty gross too, whats the better option? Buy a new harness and connector and just replace or try to just replace the offending wires myself? If i go with the latter what gauge wires do i need and where to i buy them?

Engine looses power every once in a while, wiggle the bulk head connector and its good again wanna just get this fixed once and for all, ignition circut wires have corrosion in them and the connectors are pretty gross too, whats the better option? Buy a new harness and connector and just replace or try to just replace the offending wires myself? If i go with the latter what gauge wires do i need and where to i buy them?
If the connectors aren't melted you can un plug them and clean them with terminal cleaners or a finger nail file cut to size.

They arent melted but some of the wires have actual corrosion inside the jacket as well. i just set up an MsD becuase originally i thought the issue was the coil and other components but now im also suspecting bad wires.

Simple item to try is flush out each terminal with DeOxIt.

Unfortunately you can't tell where the bad wire turns onto good wire. I have a buddy who's bulkhead connectors showed lots of corrosion. He replaced the underhood harness but not the interior harness. He said that fixed his problem. I said it fixed your problem for now. I'm sure the corrosion is climbing up the wires on the interior harness. I would suggest replacing both harnesses.

Unfortunately you can't tell where the bad wire turns onto good wire. I have a buddy who's bulkhead connectors showed lots of corrosion. He replaced the underhood harness but not the interior harness. He said that fixed his problem. I said it fixed your problem for now. I'm sure the corrosion is climbing up the wires on the interior harness. I would suggest replacing both harnesses.
I agree, now should i replace the wires one by one or should i just buy an entire harness. Where could i purchase a new harness for a reasonable price?

Second question, looking over the manual this morning, does this number denote the gauge of the wire? I know the letters are the color code.

16120528929082255464054629260924.jpg

Yes, the number is the gauge. I have been working on my son's engine bay harness the last few days. A quick run through the bead blast cabinet sure cleans up the connectors. The "fix" for the female connectors is to close the loops a little. I did that to his harness years ago, but may want to check them again.

Yes. The breakdown is:
J is ignition, although what that encompases changes a bit over time.
2 is the second segement or section in the circuit.
B is the second branch from section 2
14 is SAE wire gage.

More here
Electrical Wiring (Session 247) from the Master Technician's Service Conference
or watch the accompanying filmstrip.
1968 Electrical Wiring from The Master Technician Service Conference Series (Session 247)

Since wiggling is to resulting in loss of connection, definately a problem. Could be the ignition or could be one of the power feeds. Many years have the fusible link (on the battery feed) at that connector. So if that's been abused, it could have a similar effect.

Carefully seperate the connectors. (three for a lot of years).
question on the main harness plug on firewall
One they are off, you can remove the terminals. (Make a drawing first just in case the wires aren't quite as the manual shows. Once in a while there was a goof. )

1969 Dodge Dart - Engine Compartment Main Bulkhead Connector

if you need to replace terminals,
Sources for Chrysler type wire terminals

Every year is a little different but this is fairly typical for mid to late 60s.
A is Battery output and recharge line.
R is Alternator circuits. R6 is alternator output.
J1 sometimes is power to ignition switch
J2 is ignition (includes power to voltage regulator)
J3 is ignition feed when key is in start.
Q2 is accessory feed. (pretty much everything which requires key on other than ignition)
upload_2021-1-31_9-0-48.png

RWO are the letters Chrysler used in the books for the mid size Plymouth and Dodge models. So the way to read the (16DBL-RWO) is that Darts and Valiants will have 18 ga wire and mid size models will have 16 ga wire. That's from the '67 Plymouth shop manual.

Last edited:
There are usually only three high current wires that will give you trouble. The two amp meter wires and the ignition power. If you bypass those three you will likely be ok.

There are usually only three high current wires that will give you trouble. The two amp meter wires and the ignition power. If you bypass those three you will likely be ok.
I disagree.
Only times I've seen the ammeter connections loosen is when the battery circuit has seen excessively high current. There's a very recent thread with such an example. :(
The connections that I've seen most problematic are bulkhead feeds for alternator, ignition, and battery.
Right up there, although irrelevant to the OP's engine power issue, are various headlight wire connections.

I disagree.
Only times I've seen the ammeter connections loosen is when the battery circuit has seen excessively high current. There's a very recent thread with such an example. :(
The connections that I've seen most problematic are bulkhead feeds for alternator, ignition, and battery.
Right up there, although irrelevant to the OP's engine power issue, are various headlight wire connections.

Maybe I am not using the right names, but aren’t we talking about the same three, the two big ones that go through the bulkhead to the amp meter and the ignition feed?

Maybe I am not using the right names, but aren’t we talking about the same three, the two big ones that go through the bulkhead to the amp meter and the ignition feed?
I think you are probably correct that we are talking about the same wires.
Reading it over my disagreement is where they go and the current loads.

The big one from the alternator doesn't really go to the ammeter. It (usually) goes to the main splice. A branch from the main splice connects to the ammeter.
Another branch goes to the ignition switch.
All of those are subject to fairly high currents, but the branch to the ammeter only sees somewhat high current (20-25 amps) when the battery is recharging after start up.
The line to the key switch sees high current when the wipers and heater fan are both on.
The R6 line from the alternator through the bulkhead sees the same high current as above, plus current to the headlights, brake lights, and marker lights when they are on.
The ignition wire out from the key switch does not carry a lot of current. Ignition is only a couple of amps and the maximum field current is also 2-3 amps. Lets call it 4-5 amps.
But even with relatively low current flow, resistances up to and through the ignition line cause voltage drop. This can be a serious issue because the voltage regulator then 'sees' a lower voltage than the alternator is producing. The regulator then works to bring the voltage up. End result is something like the alternator producing at 16 Volts before the regulator 'sees' the 14 Volts on its input connection.

We just discussed why that isn't so.
High current doesn't flow through the meter unless there is a big problem.
Pegging either direction is well into danger territory, shut it off.
Of course if one doesn't know that, then maybe it doesn't matter other than for diagnosing the problem. :(
If the person is lucky, the fusible link will fail.
If less lucky, then other damage will occur like this or this.
eek-gif.gif

Last edited:
-
Back