Cam / Compression Ratio

-
All else unchanged, if you raise the static CR...... you raise the dynamic CR.

I looked at the UEM calculator, and it estimates the CR too high because of their “estimated” ivc point, instead of the actual ivc point.
Their estimated ivc point(.050 close + 15deg) is 9 degrees off.

54abdc is not the .050 close + 15deg point.
So, if you don’t use the actual closing point of 54abdc....... it’s a case of GIGO.

Last edited:
Addressing your original question, where you wanted to know how much compression for a certain cam......
This simple calculator gets you there.

You want to juggle the static CR and the ivc point to end up at no more than 8.0:1 for pump gas.
You’ll also want to use the average uncorrected barometric pressure for where you live.

9.25:1, 255deg advertised duration hyd cam in at 106, near sea level:

CFB3BD10-7769-4ECC-A6DB-0308DA0BFF9C.png

Last edited:
T
That's the camshaft I'm looking at. Were did you find the ivc? I did another dcr and came up with 7.42:1 is that good for the cam I'm looking at? Why doesn't Howard's cam list this information? Is there a simple formula to figure inv?
So your advertised duration of the intake lobe is 255*, intake centrline is 106*.
So split the duration and it will give you 127.5*. So the advertised intake opening and closing will be 127.5* either side of the installed centreline.
Intake closing will be 106 + 127.5 = 233.5* after TDC or 53.5* ABDC. (Round up to 54*)

All else unchanged, if you raise the static CR...... you raise the dynamic CR.

I looked at the UEM calculator, and it estimates the CR too high because of their “estimated” ivc point, instead of the actual ivc point.
Their estimated ivc point(.050 close + 15deg) is 9 degrees off.

54abdc is not the .050 close + 15deg point.
So, if you use the actual closing point of 54abdc....... it’s a case of GIGO.
What is the actual ivc of that cam or is it something that Howard's doesn't want people to know? I don't want to use guessing games or close numbers

The UEM calculator, but using the actual ivc point(53.5) instead of their erroneous .050 ivc + 15deg(which is 45abdc).

246A3586-B9AA-45DB-BC9A-1F1198EAAD73.png

So, if it were me....... I’d be shooting for about 9.25:1 to use that cam.

Last edited:
Figure out what your maximum RPM will be on a regular basis and cam according to that. In other words, where the engine will spend most of its time with tire size and gear ratio taken into consideration. Too small or too large from that point and you may not be happy with it.

I'm looking at Howard's 255* / 261*. If I was to have a 9.42:1 compression ratio the dynamic is 6.43:1, is this a safe dynamic compression ratio for the cam I mentioned? No parts bought yet.

Over thinking this. It's a mild cam I'd go with 9:1 Cr call it a day.

A point of Cr is worth around 5% hp, increase are little better at the lower end of Cr eg. 8:1 to 9:1 vs 10:1 to 11:1. So a half or quarter point is gonna be what 5_10 hp at best. I'd rather sacrifice a small bit of power then push thing and have pinging mess.

A point of Cr is worth around 5% hp, increase are little better at the lower end of Cr eg. 8:1 to 9:1 vs 10:1 to 11:1. So a half or quarter point is gonna be what 5_10 hp at best. I'd rather sacrifice a small bit of power then push thing and have pinging mess.
Me too

It's actually only around 3%, which makes raising compression even less desirable in some cases.

What kind of heads are we talking about stock open chamber / aluminum closed chamber, I would be curious with gear ratio automatic 4 speed? It all plays into it.

What kind of heads are we talking about stock open chamber / aluminum closed chamber, I would be curious with gear ratio automatic 4 speed? It all plays into it.
Speedmaster, closed chamber aluminum heads. Stock 904 trans. 3.55 posi. Probably a small stall speed converter.

Here's my take on information given. And I will say these cats on here probably know a lot more than I do I'm just going from experience. That camshaft will give you a lot of bottom and and great throttle response. I would go a full stage bigg something in the 220 to 226 on intake duration at 50. In my opinion probably be worth another 30 40 horsepower and your gear ratio and other supporting cast should work together nicely.

Here's my take on information given. And I will say these cats on here probably know a lot more than I do I'm just going from experience. That camshaft will give you a lot of bottom and and great throttle response. I would go a full stage bigg something in the 220 to 226 on intake duration at 50. In my opinion probably be worth another 30 40 horsepower and your gear ratio and other supporting cast should work together nicely.
Awesome

So your advertised duration of the intake lobe is 255*, intake centrline is 106*.
So split the duration and it will give you 127.5*. So the advertised intake opening and closing will be 127.5* either side of the installed centreline.
Intake closing will be 106 + 127.5 = 233.5* after TDC or 53.5* ABDC. (Round up to 54*)
I have never did it that way but it works out the same way as I've done it. That is alot easier that how I've done it.

I can't afford racing gas anyway, besides it wouldn't be practical for a daily driver
180 cranking takes 91 octane....185 and it's really sensitive and the tune will need changing with the slightest of weather changes.
K.i.s.s
160-170 cranking is what id shoot for. Wiggle room.
Use the actual closing point on wallace and the numbers are spot on. Ime

180 cranking takes 91 octane....185 and it's really sensitive and the tune will need changing with the slightest of weather changes.
K.i.s.s
160-170 cranking is what id shoot for. Wiggle room.
Use the actual closing point on wallace and the numbers are spot on. Ime
My 10:1 360 worked out pretty close to the calculator. My goal was 8:5:1 dcr and a 160-170 cranking pressure.

Screenshot_20220312-054856_Samsung Internet.jpg

20210711_141714.jpg

-
Back