Can't get steering column coupler off steering box shaft

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I drove the pin out of my steering column coupler, and I get grease and grime gets stuff stuck, but man, I cant get that thing to slide of the steering box for nothin! I had every pry bar I could find between the coupler and the pump with no luck. Any tricks to get it off?

Attachments

• couple.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 231
Heat was my next step. I hate putting heat and hammering on something I'm planning on using again....

It looks like it is no longer in the car.If thats right, you could try this; first lube it up and give it some time. Then support the coupler from underneath,right at the splined area, then pound on it from the top,again just at the splined area. Use a long drift punch with a flat end. Rotate after several hits.

Your pic shows the big pin is out. What about the smaller pin at the top edge?

The small pin is still in I thought I'd take that out after the coupler is off the pump

I'll assume you have all the column mounting bolts removed.
Ball joint spliter / pickle fork always works for me but.. I go extra effort to maintain alignment of steering shaft when separating and going back on. Weight and misalignment of steering column causes binding.

I replaced mine a couple months ago. I was able to use a pickle fork and a hammer. It took some effort but she finally came free. Getting it back on was a different story. I ended up having to use a 2x4 against the frame until I could start to see the back end of the ball through the pin hole and then had to use a beveled punch and a hammer to drive it back on.

Redfish is right, the coupler will slide about half an inch but not enough to clear the gearbox splines without dropping the steering column.

-
Back