Can't read cursive ???????

-
Useless to you does not mean useless to everyone.

Ok genius, where is it useful?? We've got signature(again, may be dying here in 10-20yrs w/ biometrics)....and ??

When i say useless, i'm not saying useless to me. I'm saying it is useless in the modern world.(which it is). Enjoy your denial.

This is the first post in this thread where you have made sense.

It seems as though you can't subject yourself to other peoples opinions without be smart, changing the subject and just force YOUR opinion on everyone. No one but you has a right to their own thought process.

It seems to me that the human mind is quite capable of learning a broad spectrum of thoughts, lessons, history and, well, cursive.

It may be useless to you, but to others it may still be an important part of their lives.

Just suppose for a second every system of electronic communication no longer existed.

Your time will come when your in your 60's, 70's and you have become accustomed to a way of life and someone like yourself will come along and rip it all out from underneath you. It is then you will understand.

Look, if my opinion makes you insecure then that is your problem. I don't force my opinion on anyone.

Who's forcing what, i state my opinion and about 20 people fly off the handle to attack me and tell me i'm wrong while providing no basis for any of their views. They just want to little insecure children.

So you feel that your irrational paranoia of "it all falling apart" should justify teaching something that has no use in society??

Agreed, i'm sure when i'm old i'll have crotchety views, but i'd like to think i won't pull this "the end is nigh!" hogwash because the next generation has changed in a way that isn't my sort of thing.

It's sad that just when we were figuring out how the brains grows & adapts (plasticity) and that working on "penmanship " (I used that cause penpersonship just sounds queer) helped the brain to function better we stopped teaching it in school!

It may be a disappearing skill but it apparently is a very important skill to excercise ones mind.

Ok genius, where is it useful?? We've got signature(again, may be dying here in 10-20yrs w/ biometrics)....and ??

When i say useless, i'm not saying useless to me. I'm saying it is useless in the modern world.(which it is). Enjoy your denial.

You've already been given examples. David even provided a link to its benefits.

Another thing, and I know this, is the pleasure you can give someone by writing them a note in nice handwriting. Sadly it's a personal touch some younger people can't experience.

Another thing, and I know this, is the pleasure you can give someone by writing them a note in nice handwriting. Sadly it's a personal touch some younger people can't experience.

And as this thread is proof of, there's a generation that doesn't give a damn.

I'll challenge you even further. Find a student who knows shorthand. Find a junior high student who can read an analog clock within a couple of seconds.
Look you didn't even have to try to find one Rob.
I have no problems reading one but have many friends that do.
Even have a few that wear wrist watches and cant read them cause they are analog.

Also have no issues reading or writing in Cursive/Script

Even have a few that wear wrist watches and cant read them cause they are analog.

Yeah Emilio, but you actually have some brains, too.

I'm not surprised Emilio, you are a classy fellow.
It is good to hear something on this subject from a younger person.

I'm not surprised Emilio, you are a classy fellow.
It is good to hear something on this subject from a younger person.

Yeah but it's not surprising, considering that Emilio is one of the most respectful younger members here. He obviously comes from good stock.

i worked at Boeing for 30 years. and had to fill out paper to have something made for me at times.. i all ways printed in block letters, just to be sure it would be understood. the only time i scrip is my signature, and checks, and ill bet money it is easy to read.

I truly don't have a dog in this fight, but I've used block letters for years. I never cared for cursive even though I learned it..... I guess I got the habit from my Dad who wrote in block letters for as long as I can remember :) Nobody EVER complained to me about it. If I send a penned doc, it will be in block letters...

The only thing I write in cursive is my sig...

A bit off course, but true story & my style...:cheers:

I personally only write in block letters but was taught both. I could see the benefits of learning to write the English language more so than teaching Spanish or Chinese. This I have no use for. Teach the Chinese and Spanish our English makes more sense in my mind. At least in this country.
I would consider my cursive writing skills to have suffered due to lack of use so when I do see use of good penmanship in practice l am always impressed. If writing does get passed up with time I suspect I will always enjoy seeing it as I do other aspects of our culture and history that has made way for change. Useless is a harsh description and shows lack of respect for those that do or have had good use. Better to view as an art.
If the day arrives when biometrics replaces my signature I will likely be exterminated same as
the day they take my guns and property. I doubt I live long enough to see this happen in the small rural community I grew up in and live. We wont allow it and is why we live here to begin with. Progress is slow to arrive here and most like it that way. All progress isn't positive. It usually lands as one more freedom taken away for our supposed own good.

My 18 year old nephew, writes excellent cursive. My cursive sucks,still use it daily. As for education ,I would prefer U.S. history & basic fundamentals in it. High school graduation is the first major achivement in young life. A good education gives you knowledge ,faith & confidence.(and right from wrong).

If the day arrives when biometrics replaces my signature I will likely be exterminated same as
the day they take my guns and property. I doubt I live long enough to see this happen in the small rural community I grew up in and live.

why the paranoia?

Certainly your fingerprint is a hell of a lot more secure than a signature. I believe its the newest Android or Iphone that already uses biometrics for security. Unless you're in your 80s, you'll likely see the beginning of this.

Soon all you'll need to learn in school is to how make your "X" on the line. :wack:

[ame]http://youtu.be/izQB2-Kmiic[/ame]

And as this thread is proof of, there's a generation that doesn't give a damn.

It's not the kids or their generation it's the schools. I have 3 kids and only the oldest learned how to write in cursive. That was only expected from her for one year then they stopped teaching it altogether. The other 2 only learned how to sign their names. Hell they don't even worry about penmanship anymore.

Their reasoning, and I guess I understand it, is that since everything is computers or keyboards now there is no reason to waste time learning about it....like latin, it's a dead art.

I don't fully agree with it but it is what it is. The time they used to spend writing is now spent learning to type and how to run programs on computers.

Welcome to the future of education. As the kiddies say, "If you don't get it then your just too old".:D

Where is the trolling? I said my opinion, supported it, and people lost their minds. Because how dare i post an opinion that does not agree with that paranoid people on this forum and support it with a little logic.

We can add passive/aggressive to the list as well as troll.
Keep on posting, we are all amused.
:happy1:

We can add passive/aggressive to the list as well as troll.
Keep on posting, we are all amused.
:happy1:

Ain't that the truth? We should all thank the mods for leaving this open. It's got a huge entertainment factor.

-
Back