car idling

-

moparstud440

Reaction score
My car as of late seems to idle higher than normal in neutral. It idles @ 1000 rpm in gear and @ 1700 rpm in neutral. Do the air bleed screws need adjusted or a power valve added? My combo is:

360 (30 over 9.5:1 compression)
750 holley DP (Jets are 82/84, Squirters are 31/31 and both power valves are blocked)
340 victor intake
Mopar .533 lift cam
4500 stall convertor

Check and make sure the choke fast idle cam is not stuck on. If it is not I would first try n reajust the idle down to around 700-800 RPM and see what happens.

Check for loose baseplate or leaking gaskets. Ours kept doing this until we use a little vasoline on the carb gasket.

:drinkers:Sounds to me like it's LOADING UP when you put it in drive because it has a very large cam in it.
That is the biggest hydraulic purple shaft ever made.
320 adv.duration but the overlap is 104 degrees.
To put that in perspective the .484 cam that everyone is familiar with has only 68 degrees over lap.

:drinkers:The second and just as important reason is you are not running a power valve and it's dumping raw fuel in all the time.
The power valve holds back the additional fuel until needed at full throttle.

Run a 2.5 power valve, because it's the smallest one they make ,and you will need it for that cam because it's really big,and put 72 jet's in the front primary metering plate.
ALSO:Run a 4 hole 1 inch spacer (THIS IS SO IMPORTANT FOR YOUR SET UP)
I wanted to run that cam just like your doing.
I would run a 35 front and rear for the squirters.

THAT IS A STANDARD HOLLEY 750 DOUBLE PUMPER- RIGHT????
It is gold in color and not silver - right?????

Your carb is a standard double pumper i believe, with a four corner idle system and will have a rich enough idle circuit to suport your engine.
Set it up with a 2.5 power valve, only in the front metering plate and leave the back secondary plate blocked off.
It should have the pink accelerator cams installed from the factory.

Take the screw out on the front accelerator cam and move the cam itself to hole number 2 on the pink cam and use the same hole on the carb that the screw just came out of.

DON'T GET CONFUSED.
USE HOLE NUMBER 1 ON THE CARB
USE HOLE NUMBER 2 ON THE PINK CAM ITSELF.
Make sure the spring on the accelerator pump has a little play in it.
You may have to tighten the spring and make it shorter to give it enough play.

This will make for a good clean running motor that will be very crisp when the pedal is hit hard and fast.
GOOD LUCK :glasses8:

-
Back