Car not starting

-

6t5barracuda

Reaction score
1965 barracuda 273/904 console shift. I turn key to start it and I get a click at the starter relay and the starter but nothing else. Problem started about a week ago and I would be able to click a few times and it'd Fire right up. I put new battery cables in, new starter, new ignition switch, and a new starter relay. Still have same problem. All the electrical is original and unmolest from 1965 so I do not believe anyone has screwed anything up. Any ideas? Even touched the terminals on the starter together with a screw driver and just clicked. Thanks guys!

Connections connections connections!!! Clean every connection, all grounds, both ends, every thing!! 9 times out of 10 it's a connection, and it's free!!!

Yes, if its clicking jumping the starter relay it has to be a problem with the main cables , cable connections ,or the starter itself.
Don't know what kind of starter you are using, but a lot of the reman starters are junk.
New starters are the way to go if available.

Could also be a slightly loose starter. Dirt and/or oil could get in between the starter and engine block which could mess with the ground.
Clean and tighten all battery cable connections and try it. If that doesn't work:
Then try grounding the starter with a jumper cable and then turning the key. If the starter turns over, it is almost certainly a ground issue.

I cast my vote with #7, harisonm
Seen it many-a-time.
You got booster cables? Clamp one black cable to the starter case, and the other black cable to the battery negative.Or since youre laying on your back under there,clamp it to the transmission or a T-bar, or any clean bare metal, then, Hit the start button. Shazzam.
If that dont work, one of my tricks is to have a helper twist the key to start, while I smack the starter with a hammer.This test works when the starter brushes are so short(worn out) that they are no longer in contact with the armature. Shazzam!

If it clicks, it's not getting enough power to the starter...

Check and clean all electrical connections at the battery, starter relay, and starter for good contact.

Make sure that the battery is fully charged or jump start it...

How many grounds does it have? People have a habit of taking them off through the years and not putting them back on. Why I have no idea but I have seen it so many times it's pitiful. If it only has the one negative battery cable from the engine to the battery, there's your trouble.

How many grounds does it have? People have a habit of taking them off through the years and not putting them back on. Why I have no idea but I have seen it so many times it's pitiful. If it only has the one negative battery cable from the engine to the battery, there's your trouble.

Good point Rusty... :sign3:

I like to run the battery ground to the engine block, a pig-tail off of that to the front header panel next to the radiator, and then make up a 10 or 12 gauge wire from the rear passenger intake bolt to the firewall.. As a minimum....

Over-grounding won't hurt, but under-grounding will... #-o

Also make sure that there isn't any oil between the starter and the block. If you have any oil leaking from the back of the engine, it can interfere with the starter grounding to the trans housing... I had one leak real bad and had a good coat of oil on the starter mating surface that caused problems grounding...

It is ridiculous. I have seen cars ground through the steering column and fry every stinkin wire in it on the way. Some people think headers touching the frame rail is a good ground. lol

So here's what I found. Original starter that was rebuilt fried, new starter was bad, had it tested and watched fireworks... Got another one had them test and it was good... Battery was tested and was fine all connections were good too... Just didn't think a brand new starter would be bad... Thank you all!! The barracuda is back to my daily driver!

Next time, buy a mini-starter for a 90's Dodge V-8 truck. Half the size and weight, which really helps in working it into your cramped 273. Cheap and available too.

Your problem was probably that the contacts on the solenoid were pitted. It clunked forward but wouldn't always contact.

Im having this same problem with my 67 cuda right now. I pulled the starter and had it tested and it worked fine. Battery is good, new relay. When I jump relay it just clicks, turn the key and it just clicks. Tried to hook up a booster pack incase the battery was bad and still the same clicking. All the battery wires look good. Should I tried to put a clamp on ground on the starter? It worked fine one day and next time I went to start it, just clicking.

EDIT: Fixed it. I have 2 wires running to a switch on this junk Hurst shifter and one of them came off and didnt know it. Started right up.

Last edited:
-
Back