Car show season (and the people they bring out) around the corner

-

Randy WM

Reaction score
The good news: Car show season is around the corner!

The bad news: Some of the people that go out to car shows :pale:

I think we all know the ones I'm talking about. Now this is all for fun, but some of these people are for real!

"Nice Mustang!'
"Thanks, but it's a GTO"

"My buddy has a car just like yours, except his is better."
"Why have we never met this buddy?"

"I owned a car like yours once, Bought it brand new!"
"So you bought your first car when you were two years old?"

"I had a 64 Roadrunner in high school"
"Must have been an early, early prototype, real early."

"My buddy had a 454 hemi in his car."
"Was that with Mopar heads on a Chevy block, or vice versa?"

"I put a 3/4 cam in my car back in high school."
"What'd you do with the other 1/4?"

"You don't need no fancy paint job on one of these cars. I painted mine with a roller!"
"I'm not going to help you take the wheels off your house."

my friend in high school told us that he had a hemi in his 71 duster/ later we found out it was a 440/auto with 538 gear but it had a hemi emblem on the hood scoop/ he did not know the differance.lots of 3/4 race cams back in the 70s

"What do you mean you don't take it to the drag strip, c'mon you gotta take this car there."

"Can my son Billy Wayne Gacy sit in your drivers seat?"

"Why did you remove the original motor?"-Uh do you see the rest of the car dimwit?

"Uh Sir, can you please tell your kids to not HANG ON MY FREAKING DOOR HANDLES!"

For the most part people are pretty cool, but you do get your idiots who have no clue of how much work goes into these cars and don;t think twice of leaning all over your paint and putting greasy hand prints all over the car.

I don't bother registering for judging anymore, I'd rather just hear comments from people who like it, especially kids.

you know i hate people who bring a totally stock honda civic to a show saying "its a tuner...havent you seen fast and the furious?" i feel like punching them in the face. anyine else get these guys, theyre always at the shows by me

We've all (or a majority of us) have personally seen or heard these comments before. If they are directed to you and/or your vehicle, what waste any time rebutting these kinds of comments. I have found that simply (and somewhat loudly) saying "Bye" and walking away is the best medicine for blowhards. It really gets their goat when you don't engage them.

we used to get this kid in auto shop ever other day with the condenser trick /just shock the **** out of him two days later he would pick it up again lol

What are you guys talking about?

BTW....My 340 Duster does such huge wheelies on the street that I had to install glass panels in the floorboards so I can see where I'm going.

when i showed my old 74 cuda, i heard: i had a 68 camaro just like this ,or nice camaro. then theres the guy that picks apart my car like its got a for sale sign in it and he wants to talk me down. then one time a kid started trying to climb in the window with an ice cream cone that was smeared all over the door, and his dad didnt understand why i was mad. one time a guy showed up in a ratty duster, parked next to an old white caddilac convertible ,popped his trunk and started spray painting the underside of the trunk lid black, while the wind blew the overspray towards the caddy. i had a 70 fury that was mint that i took to some shows, more than once i heard :man that would be a sweet derby car. car shows bring out all kinds i guess.

I'm a member of the local car club out here in the sticks and we did a cruise last summer and a guy came in with a ratty 73 dart that he took alot of pride in the ,what looked like brushed on paint and 318 that was over cammed and over carbed that it would not idle and had trouble starting,he told me it could hit 60mph just crossing a 2 lane intersection from a dead stop.We had another guy with a so-called limited addition 96 cavalier with every stick-on lund product on it ,from the sun roof wind deflector to the hood and side scoops it looked hideous and he complained that he was being singled out because he could never win any shows.

they are all over the country. my boy (he's 4) holds my hand the entire time at a cruse in or show, just because. I always tell the ricer guys there car is missing half there cylinders, or "its a 1.8 liter? hell, my pepsi has 2" if they try to act like its a "bad" car.

Had a lady tell her kids I put the Demon EMBLEMS on the car because... I thought it was a fast car.
Another fellow told me about his 70 Demon he bought BRAND NEW, after a while of this and that about the car I told him it was a 71, he kind of wanted to argue since he bought it BRAND NEW... untill his wife asked what month he bought it and explained to him, new car for 71 ...out in late 70...... and it kinda sunk in ..... I just smiled :-D

i have people like that already on a regular basis. when i first drove it to work some one said "did you see that old VW in the back!" that was just a major disapointment and another time she said "i see you drove your mustang"

and other people always think my cars a 63 or 67. when they wernt made till 64 and in 67 they changed the body style.

Had a lady tell her kids I put the Demon EMBLEMS on the car because... I thought it was a fast car.
Another fellow told me about his 70 Demon he bought BRAND NEW, after a while of this and that about the car I told him it was a 71, he kind of wanted to argue since he bought it BRAND NEW... untill his wife asked what month he bought it and explained to him, new car for 71 ...out in late 70...... and it kinda sunk in ..... I just smiled :-D

That's a good one. I always get the " I know the sticker says Demon, but what kinda car is it really?" Or the kids at the gas station wanting to know if it a new Challenger. And finally, "I used to have a Charger just like it with a 440 hemi"
I love car shows...8)

I get alot of people that see the turbo and say, "I was gonna do that".

REALLY? I was gonna be an astronaut...but then I didn't. Get the F#uck out here!

That's a good one. I always get the " I know the sticker says Demon, but what kinda car is it really?" Or the kids at the gas station wanting to know if it a new Challenger. And finally, "I used to have a Charger just like it with a 440 hemi"
I love car shows...8)

440 hemi. lol. I hear that all the time! 3/4 cam too. You can even order cams out of speedway now that are called 3/4 for a flathead...They don't even give you specs, just 3/4!

People with large key holders clipped to their belt as they walk right next to the cars with tons of people bumping into one another.
ZERO common sense.

The worst are the adults that let their kids get away with anything and get all pissy with you when you tell their kids to cut it out.
I guess it's their way of getting back at you since they never took the time and effort to build a nice car of their own.

The dude's driving brand new corvette's to a (classic) car show. WTH?

The same dudes that sit in their brand new corvette at the car show that turn up their stereo to whiner rock or rap music because they don't like the music being played at the show.

Car show judges that have never been introduced to any car other than the Ford Mustang or the Chevrolet Camaro.

Purists who look down on your ride because you changed it from stock, then they feel the need to take it upon themself to scold you about it.
These people I have lot's of fun with. LOL.

Yes the ricers suck especially the low performance one's but I try to compliment everyones car because it means alot to them for them to bring their car there.
Maybe they have a crappy life and this is the only thing that makes them feel good so a kind word never hurts anyone.

Now if they are cocky idiots, I'd just as soon ignore them.

Most true car guys will talk their car down to you while you compliment it.
They will point out all the flaws to you because it bugs them.

The guys who frantically get out the instant spray wax wipes, and the Q-tips out as soon as they pull into a small show are the ones that crack me up.
They act like you are bothering them if you walk up to look at their car as they are looking at their watch between buffing out marks that only they can see.

I can see that behavior at large events with tons of fierce competition but at small shows it takes all the fun out of it.

Car shows that have the same three guys win the same trophies every time by the same judges, ha, ha.

I walk down the rows at shows and see all the lames that happen to own classic cars..and I hear all the stories they tell...and about all the cars they've owned/own...and I've met the ones standing next to those cars who blab on about 150+mph runs in their 68 340 gtx cars...w/factory nitrous ...
well, I can't figure out who's more stupid...the kook telling bed time stories..or the owner of the car who thought polished aluminum accessories were more important than an electronic ignition and learning how to tune the carb...as their car back fires and smokes when they decide to prove how bitchin their ride is ..reving it till valve float.

I love hearing..''you rev your 340 how much??'' ''those are too rare to be do'n that''

.....tyaaa

I have to be honest that most of the poeple I hang out with at the cruises are car guys because they are always the first guys to find fault with their own cars and say they are not good enough for an actual show. But we do get the families walking around the cruises that will lean or sit on the fenders of cars that look like they have more money in the paint then i have in my whole car. Ihave seen a guy at a good guys show walking around rubbing his fingers up and down the sides of every car with his sticky fingered son doing just like daddy does. My girls are 7 and 8 and have been going to shows and cruises most of thier lives and have never laid a finger on any car because I taught them that you don't touch it unless you can afford to buy it, and that lesson seemed to work.

Those people are all there, plus many more. But with my 60 Dart you can tell by the look in the older peoples eyes that it brings back some kind of memory. These are the ones that I really enjoy talking to.

Those people are all there, plus many more. But with my 60 Dart you can tell by the look in the older peoples eyes that it brings back some kind of memory. These are the ones that I really enjoy talking to.

Know what ya mean, last year had this old guy (just a couple more than me:-D) come up to the Demon and say how he had one new in the day then proceeds to tell me about the sweet young things that he "deflowered" in the back seat. The whole time he's telling this story his wife is right beside him giving him dirty looks, she actually smacked him on the shoulder when they walked off. Something tells me she wasn't one of the deflowered ones. Ain't reliving your youth grand.:toothy10:

-
Back