Cheepy Three-Sixty build

-
Thanks for the results. I was never a big fan of the as cast head myself. Seeing these numbers helps me/us understand how and where they make power.

234 @ .445 is pretty good for the little bit of work done.
This will make a very nice street head.

LA heads for me too! Better shaft stability with shaft mount rockers to name one benefit. Once ported correclty can rival magnum heads. Only drawback can be open chamber.
IMO, better than rival.
Open chambers can be milled away. And it can be quite a hefty milling. But it is possible.
To be honest, there's worse things than an open chamber to be worried about. I'd rather build with a flat top piston over a dome. Even a small dome. But that's the other fix to an open chamber.

Thanks for the results. I was never a big fan of the as cast head myself. Seeing these numbers helps me/us understand how and where they make power.

234 @ .445 is pretty good for the little bit of work done.
This will make a very nice street head.

The as cast head is still pretty good at making power, even unported just look at the Magnum crate program. I'm interested to see what this engine with this mild camshaft can muster. Maybe I should have spent more time on the heads? I do believe I will see 420 lb/ft out of this though. J.Rob

The magnum creek program! Something I often point at when some people are building their engine up.

The as cast head is still pretty good at making power, even unported just look at the Magnum crate program. I'm interested to see what this engine with this mild camshaft can muster. Maybe I should have spent more time on the heads? I do believe I will see 420 lb/ft out of this though. J.Rob

If you spend more time on the heads then you defeated your purpose. At some point you have to say this is it.

I had a friend going Comp racing in 1988. Had the car and the ability to do it. The problem was, he never just put the engine in the car to test it. We spent 4 hours one day going over dyno sheets and he could have run .6-.7 under but he kept on beating the hell out of it on the dyno looking to get to National Record type numbers.

We are going on 30 years and the dream is gone.

Just sharing what our valve job looks like on the intake side for our 2.02 valve...also use a rather large back cut on the valve too.
DSC01544.JPG
DSC01549.JPG

DSC01549.JPG

As I said had to turn a 143 tooth external balance flywheel into a 130 tooth external balance flywheel. Can't wait to test this one. J.Rob

flywheel.jpg

A perfect example of a damn nice valve job.

Very very nice. I like that you didn't skimp on the top cut!
Well....thank you guys! I only posted those pics because that cutter is one I came up with that works really well on these heads...when I first started messing with them I did some flow testing with different angles and widths starting with a 2" valve and eventually settling on the 2.02 size. The extremely generous top cut + angle is what got me from the low 250's to the high 260's...on the unported version. Also, the generous back cut + angle is what allowed the heads to keep pulling up to .650 lift and only lose about 5 cfm from .650 to .700. This seat cut doesn't work on std. open chamber heads or Eddy heads though. Jesse, I look forward to the 5.9 results too....this project keeps taking small turns, in part to Johnny, so it's not quite what I wanted to do but I believe we will crest 450HP with it. Should be ready for dyno session next month if all goes well.

Ok, I have to ask....why are you doing this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?

Is this some one off deal you can't buy, or do you just like doing stuff?

First I already had this 143 tooth 360 flywheel = free. I also had a 130 tooth ring gear. The large 143 tooth flywheel is incompatible with the small bellhousing I am going to use. I also don't like the 33 lb weight penalty vs 22 lbs for this version. I do like doing stuff also. J.Rob

First I already had this 143 tooth 360 flywheel = free. I also had a 130 tooth ring gear. The large 143 tooth flywheel is incompatible with the small bellhousing I am going to use. I also don't like the 33 lb weight penalty vs 22 lbs for this version. I do like doing stuff also. J.Rob

Got it. Using what you had. I understand.

I thought maybe you just liked doing things to say you did them. I used to do that. Then I hit 40 years old and said screw it.

I do like recycling parts when you can.

Got it. Using what you had. I understand.

I thought maybe you just liked doing things to say you did them. I used to do that. Then I hit 40 years old and said screw it.

I do like recycling parts when you can.

I'm 40+ yrs now and have to push myself. Use it or lose it becomes all too real.

I also interpolated the center out of my air cleaner base in order to use that super cool R2C center section. It will be tested on the dyno next weekend--just waiting for pushrods now. J.Rob

IMG_20170422_095115.jpg

We're getting off track here. Just fire up the damn thing so we can hear it run!

We're getting off track here. Just fire up the damn thing so we can hear it run!

It WILL run next weekend. I have to disassemble the heads and grind for a little pushrod clearance @ the valve cover rail as well. I'm very excited to try my Hall effect Magnum distributor with my MSD 6AL-2. J.Rob

Now if you could mount the Hall effect distributor to the crankshaft snout, that'd be something. Maybe use a 4-cylinder one.

Skip that, skip that, I'm dragging you off track again.

Now if you could mount the Hall effect distributor to the crankshaft snout, that'd be something. Maybe use a 4-cylinder one.

Skip that, skip that, I'm dragging you off track again.

Ok I lied, it won't run this weekend but I have a pretty good excuse. I was very sick this week and that shot a hole in the only time I had to get it assembled. Plus the intake face needed some pushrod clearance. J.Rob

pushrodclearance.jpg

May I ask... are those the G3 Hemi valves your referred to earlier? Is there anything special about them?

-
Back