Cinnamon 75 Duster \

-
Removed everything out of the doors yesterday and sprayed inside with rust reformer. Today I got them prepped. Taped everything good. Sprayed the jambs on doors and body.

2016-05-29 20.06.30.jpg

2016-05-29 20.05.50.jpg

Last edited:
I follow your resto thread with interest primarily due to the color your Duster is. Seeing the fresh cinnamon paint on your jams brings back memories when mine had fresh cinnamon paint in the jams (followed by the rest of the body a day or so later) back in 2007. There are not many cinnamon duster/scamps being restored. Keep up the great work!

I follow your resto thread with interest primarily due to the color your Duster is. Seeing the fresh cinnamon paint on your jams brings back memories when mine had fresh cinnamon paint in the jams (followed by the rest of the body a day or so later) back in 2007. There are not many cinnamon duster/scamps being restored. Keep up the great work!
It will be a while before the body paint. Doing the jambs allows me to move forward on other things though. I have new carpet I want to get done sometime soon while its hot out. I won't have the seat upholstered for a while (maybe get a cheaper cover as a temporary) but will get all the other interior back together. I will be cleaning up all the door parts and possibly start getting them back together today. I have new lower door seals to replace the ones that came off in pieces.

As I was writing that I realized I did an oops. It was my intention to paint the area where the door handle and lock go. I did not do that. Original paint was in good shape there, so I just did a quick 400 wet sand on it and shot a little rattle can clear on it to seal it.

I really appreciate those who dare to be different as well,and stick with factory,not so in your face colors. After all,there are plenty of those high impact color cars out there now,probably more than what the factory produced. Sticking with my bronzish/coppper color,but gonna use satin black on the hood etc.

Went to the Red Lion Memorial Day parade and ceremony this morning. Got to work on the car around 1 this afternoon. Put both mirrors on. Passenger side is an add on and took a bit of work to get it done. There was no thread for a stud (???) So I filled the hole with JBWELD, drilled and tapped.There was no mirror glass, I replaced that. Next installed handles and locks both sides. Replaced all gaskets and lubed. Next up regulators- cleaned, lubed, painted over any areas with rust and installed. Got the passenger glass in and adjusted. then it was time to get the tarp back on as ominous storm clouds approached... Most of the parts (mirrors, glass, handles) are replacement with better used pieces. I did use my original regulators.

2016-05-30 21.26.00.jpg

2016-05-30 20.55.58.jpg

I really appreciate those who dare to be different as well,and stick with factory,not so in your face colors. After all,there are plenty of those high impact color cars out there now,probably more than what the factory produced. Sticking with my bronzish/coppper color,but gonna use satin black on the hood etc.

I guess I originally was doing the Cinnamon, just cause it was original, and I was not expecting to do nearly as much work as I have. It is a lot more work to do a color change. When I sprayed the engine bay and really saw what it looked like I was so glad I went with it. Never really thought spraying an essentially brown car would be 'daring to be different'. But, when everyone else is doing vibrant colors, I suppose you could look at it that way. I believe this was a common color, but where did they all go?

Last edited:
Got driver side glass in, finally used something from a pile of glass I bought a while ago. Even this piece ain't that great. Has a few horizontal scratches, but better than what I had. Put in both inner handles and lock linkage. The anti-rattle sleeves on the inside latch opening rod were pretty ragged. Found replacement on ebay. Last but not least... I installed the lower gaskets around both doors. They are Metro Supersoft. They fit good, but a couple differences from original. The plastic pins for the ends were useless since they were too small to catch in the holes. I used the original screws instead. Only issue there is you can't really tighten them or the rubber just squished and twists cause there is no metal plate in it. Used 3M black weatherstripping adhesive along with the clips and screws and they are secure in place.

2016-05-31 20.21.19.jpg

Last edited:
After a couple storms rolled through and dumped/blew buckets of water. There were a couple drops of water near the doors on each side. I don't have the sill plates on, so thinking that would have eliminated most of it. either way, not going to worry about it. I'll drag in more than that on wet shoes.

Last edited:
Worked on final (hopefully) attachment of fenders. When I took them off there was some seam sealer under top edge. I believe that was for sealing from splashing off the tire
They used a front and back splash shield, so makes sense to me that they would want the top sealed. I used butyl rope caulk (windoweld). It doesn't harden, so if I need to do any more adjustments it won't be a problem. Got them aligned pretty good. Installed all bolts and used Kona brown Rustoleum to do a first coat touch up. I will be spraying the entire bolt flange correct Cinnamon in the near future.

2016-06-06 21.30.16.jpg

2016-06-06 21.31.42.jpg

2016-06-06 21.32.43.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing with some alignment issues. Dropped the back right corner of the hood a little and brought the adjacent corner of the passenger door in a smidge. Looks same as other side now. I had gotten the trunk lid pretty close a few weeks ago, but had a couple problems. Left side was up in the center like something got slammed under it and bent it. Beat that back to shape with a mini sledge and a block of wood. The corner of the lid in pic was nearly touching the side even though it was good everywhere else. I determined it was due to a bit of sloppy work when the quarter was replaced, probably very early in the car's life. Anyway, I banged the side back to where it should be and shaped it with a little filler. While in there I saw that much of the lid had light rust under the edge, so wire brushed and sprayed that. One area a few inches long is rusted through. I will still need to do something with that.

2016-06-07 20.25.24.jpg

Continuing with some alignment issues. Dropped the back right corner of the hood a little and brought the adjacent corner of the passenger door in a smidge. Looks same as other side now. I had gotten the trunk lid pretty close a few weeks ago, but had a couple problems. Left side was up in the center like something got slammed under it and bent it. Beat that back to shape with a mini sledge and a block of wood. The corner of the lid in pic was nearly touching the side even though it was good everywhere else. I determined it was due to a bit of sloppy work when the quarter was replaced, probably very early in the car's life. Anyway, I banged the side back to where it should be and shaped it with a little filler. While in there I saw that much of the lid had light rust under the edge, so wire brushed and sprayed that. One area a few inches long is rusted through. I will still need to do something with that.

View attachment 1714941121
Nice to see you getting stuff done...

Nice to see you getting stuff done...
Thanks Bob,
Been a crazy Spring. Seems like I am always dodging raindrops. Of course that means the yard work is relentless with everything growing. No shortage of other stuff to do either. Odd thing is that where that would often run me into the ground, lately I have a momentum going and manage to carry it over to the car. :thumbsup:

Now that its sealed up good except for the trunk gasket, I moved on to the interior a bit this week. Pulled the seats and did rust touchups, mostly scratches from me fumbling around in there... I got my carpet out of the garage rafters where it has been for about 3 years and unboxed it for the first time. For now it is just laying in the car 'relaxing' in the heat, Before that gets installed, I had some wiring work to do. I replaced the cover on the harness that runs front to back. New one is a plastic instead of what looked like natural fiber of some sort, but still a woven material. I added the 14awg red wire for the 3rd brake light and got that permanently tied in. While I was in the area I re-taped the taillight harness.

2016-06-12 19.59.30.jpg

2016-06-12 14.18.31.jpg

2016-06-12 17.29.18.jpg

2016-06-12 20.00.09.jpg

2016-06-12 17.54.27.jpg

Last edited:
After dinner I went back out and cleaned the blue off the whitewalls. I still need to clean up the good wheel covers and paint the black areas, but popped the beater set on awhile.

2016-06-12 20.12.32.jpg

Wow Keith, moving along nicely. You will be able to come help us when we get going again when the hose is done

Wow Keith, moving along nicely. You will be able to come help us when we get going again when the hose is done
Bit of a ride, but I would like to do that. @AlV Al should be getting bored with collecting trophies by then, so he should be available. LOL

Made a batch of seat belt soup this afternoon. Saw the sorry lookin faded things while working in there the other day. Recalled when @AlV did his last fall and posted it. Used same recipe. 2 packs of RIT, 2 cups vinegar, boil then simmer till they look good. I didn't time it, but the long one for front were probably in near an hour. The one piece that was completely under a cover was actually beige. Guess they figured it would never be seen. A potentially very messy job, but went well. I used bag clips to keep them unreeled from the retractors, worked perfect.

2016-06-13 17.57.32.jpg

2016-06-13 17.58.15.jpg

Last edited:
looking them over now that they are near dry... they are definitely way better than they were, but the two long front belts are not as jet black as I thought. One that was really light is still a little lighter. the other retained its purple look, just not as obvious because it is darker. The piece that was beige is perfect black, and will still never be seen, lol. Kinda wish I hadn't put the short pieces in with the buckles cause they were not bad looking. The hard plastic got a chalky look to it. I got them looking better with a little buff wheel in a drill.

Last edited:
Amazing how some simple looking tasks just are not. Decided to get the splash shields in the fenders. Six screws each- how hard could it be? Lol. I forgot I needed to put the antenna base in first. Then, I carefully worked the shield into position but was not able to pull it tight enough to the fender to line up the lower screws. So, decided to pull the tire. Ended up putting the one 1/4" in then clamping it to the side to get it to flex over... Other side did go a lot smoother. Fixed a couple surface rust spots that bubbled up the undercoat from some of my earliest repairs.
Inside, I had noticed my nice new vinyl on the package tray was already faded. So, I picked up a can of SEM Cordova Brown, same as the dash pad on my way home from work today. Got that painted and back in. Also bolted in the back seat belts and set in a new card board piece behind seat I got off ebay.

2016-06-14 19.50.08.jpg

2016-06-14 19.50.58.jpg

Last edited:
Painted more today. Spray gun was not working as nice as it did for the doors. Think I need to do a better cleaning (or toss it and get another at HF for $10-15). Now I can put most of the parts on.

2016-06-18 20.05.35.jpg

2016-06-18 20.02.06.jpg

2016-06-18 20.04.25.jpg

Put the new seal on the trunk. Got that from DMT a while ago when I bought my other seals. They say up to '76, should seal OK, but it's really not the correct seal.
Cleaned up 4 tail lights and picked the best parts to put these together. Sprayed inside the housings with chrome. Used silver model paint to do the lines on the lenses. Also changed out trim bezels to a much nicer pair. There was paint marker writing on one of the housings from a yard. I cleaned it off with lacquer thinner, but left the housing looking uneven. will get some black plastic paint and coat them both. Also still need to seal the studs good when I permanently install them. Something I did not know is they changed the bulb mount areas of the housing between 73 and 75. (second pic front is original to my car, back is older style) The ones I am using are 73. Right side original was cracked and I wanted them to match.
I forgot to paint the lower grill piece yesterday, so did that with the little bit of paint I had left. Also sprayed the bumper fillers with Krylon Cover Maxx Classic Gray.

2016-06-19 18.33.33.jpg

View attachment 1714945148

2016-06-19 18.57.13.jpg

2016-06-19 18.34.49.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back