Clutch Pedal spring removed issues

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
So I removed the clutch pedal spring after diaphragm clutch install . I would like my pedal to return to top so I was wondering what light duty spring you may have used (part #) to accomplish this ? Second, my clutch petal is sliding off and jamming up causing me to reach under and push it back. So apparently the factory spring holds it in place so any ideas on that correction. I'm hoping to save my bad back from some pain if I have a game plan and the right stuff to get this done. The last time I had to work in that area I removed the bucket seat for access.I noticed the lower pedal results have been talked about but haven't heard about the pedal sliding almost out.
Thanks in advance

Do you have the light spring that goes from the clutch fork to the bellhousing?

Would a heavier spring down at the clutch fork help push the pedal back up to the top?
I'm wondering if some of the diaphragm clutch guys who have removed the over center spring have tried that.

There is no no pull back there. The pedal spring would just take the extra slack out of the pedal. Even if I leave that I still have to keep my petal from sliding off. That's my major concern.

There's a heavier spring?
Sounds like something I may need.
Peddle sometimes doesn't come all the way up and touching it with your toe brings it the last 3/4 inch.
I've got a finger clutch though not a diaphragm type like him.
All new parts from Brewers.

IDK
MY pedal returns just fine with the anti-rattle spring pulling the fork. Maybe some piece of the linkage is hanging up?

I agree, when I ran mechanical linkage with a diaphragm clutch the spring on the clutch fork was plenty.

It sounds like the pedal is missing some part of the retaining clip, removing the spring shouldn’t cause the pedal to slide off the pivot. If it’s doing that it may be binding up and not fully returning.

There's a heavier spring?
Sounds like something I may need.
Peddle sometimes doesn't come all the way up and touching it with your toe brings it the last 3/4 inch.
I've got a finger clutch though not a diaphragm type like him.
All new parts from Brewers.
That's exactly how mine was with the 3 finger style.
I agree somethings missing on the petal . As for the spring and linkage at fork all seems correct. I replaced all the z-bar bushings and clips. I will look into a replacement spring as I used my original .

Sliding off?
The whole pedal moves to the left?
A HR article may help you...…..
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-1012-four-speed-a-body-clutch-pedal-adjustment/

upload_2019-8-2_8-17-59.png

I would put a heavier spring down at the bell/ fork. This will not only pull up the pedal, but insure the fork is pulled away from the TO for freeplay

Sliding off?
The whole pedal moves to the left?
A HR article may help you...…..
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/mopp-1012-four-speed-a-body-clutch-pedal-adjustment/

View attachment 1715372436
Thanks Dave That's what I'm looking for. You cant see it in the car as there is another bracket that runs along side of it on mine but it could feel it. I went to the hardware store and picked up a couple of sizes and was able to get my hand up there and push one on. All set now. I just will change my fork spring and should be good to go. I do have free play on the throw out bearing it'sjust that the pedal doesn't return all the way. Thanks again guys !

Can you get a small spring and install it in place of the heavy spring under the dash? I had a lazy brake pedal and I went to the hardware store and bought a extension spring that did the trick.

Can you get a small spring and install it in place of the heavy spring under the dash? I had a lazy brake pedal and I went to the hardware store and bought a extension spring that did the trick.
I will look into it. I do know my old fork spring is probably original (tired) so I will start there then try light spring if needed.
Thanks

I went from a B&B clutch in 2012 to a Centerforce diaphragm clutch, and left the overcenter spring on.

The reason? I had an injury and it made it easier, at least in my mind.

The reason I left it on? It's like butter, and the pedal doesn't even snap all the way back up, stays a little lower than the brake, iirc.

I just pulled the clutch, swapped in a new trans to flywheel, and the old clutch is in dam good shape, going in another car - that's 7 years no issues.

-
Back