**Coil Over Conversion with Stock K**

-
OK MD its now official you are as big a glutton for punishment as I am. Nice work by the way.
I am struggling with the very thing you are working on. I want all the benefits of an AlterK without the $5000 price tag.
Andrew

Yeah, you know how it goes, 1 thing leads to another. The alterk is a sweet piece but I just can't see spending 5k on one. I think it is upwards of 6k with brakes.
This will have to do for now with the coil over conversion. Still a lot to do. I may upgrade the front brakes to wilwood. They say that swap alone is worth 35lbs.
My buddy Pete was real concerned with me being able to stop once it gets on boost, he does not like factory brakes on fast cars. So I have been researching the subject.

MD the 5K actually includes the 11.5" willwoods.
I did get a quote for a complete mustangII coilover suspension with QA1s and willwoods for 2K but no Kmember, or sway bar. This is essentially a street rod setup. there are a couple of "universal" cross members for 400 ea. I called Bill and he wanted $1500 for just the K member with the sway bar. I am still very undecided. Scrimping on the front suspension seems a questionable route and getting the geometry wrong just as dumb.
Andrew

MD the 5K actually includes the 11.5" willwoods.
I did get a quote for a complete mustangII coilover suspension with QA1s and willwoods for 2K but no Kmember, or sway bar. This is essentially a street rod setup. there are a couple of "universal" cross members for 400 ea. I called Bill and he wanted $1500 for just the K member with the sway bar. I am still very undecided. Scrimping on the front suspension seems a questionable route and getting the geometry wrong just as dumb.
Andrew

Universal K member? Who is making that, Bill or?

Its not a "K" member but a cross member for a street rod. The company is Speedway and its available in their street rod catalog. Bill wanted the $1500 for the actual AlterK K member and sway bar.
Here is a pic of the setup.
Andrew

Attachments

• 91034206_R.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 958
  • UP17106_R_16d7d35e.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 976
Well Alston Chassisworks notified me today that the Door swing out parts are on back order and will not ship out til next week. Guess I need to get the grinder and flap wheel on the K Frame so I can install it and finish the Mock up for the Coil Overs.

Well Alston Chassisworks notified me today that the Door swing out parts are on back order and will not ship out til next week. Guess I need to get the grinder and flap wheel on the K Frame so I can install it and finish the Mock up for the Coil Overs.
That's not to bad, my rear sway bar bushings from Energy Suspension are susposed to ship 4/9/12. :glasses7:

there is another guy/company that makes a complete front stub for the A bodies,,i have never seen any one use one, i cant remember the company name, but i think i have a file saved on it,,

john,,,speed way motors has bushing parts like the end links needed to convert from tie rod ends to hiem joint ends

So MAD is this what most would need to do to the K frame or are you improving it because of the Turbo?

john,,,speed way motors has bushing parts like the end links needed to convert from tie rod ends to hiem joint ends

I ordered them a couple of days ago and should be here by Friday. I plan on mocking these up and making a list so guys know what to order. :thumrigh:

So MAD is this what most would need to do to the K frame or are you improving it because of the Turbo?

I would do this modification with or without a Turbo when keeping the stock K member, especially if your taking it out of the car during your build. The Idler Arm Conversion alone is worth doing because of the cost of the 67 Idler Arm " 1 Year Only". Remember this is a 67, 6 Cylinder K Frame.

Like stated earlier Firm Feel does the same modification for $450.00 + Shipping both ways of your K frame. This does not include the Idler Arm Conversion, Tow Hook or the K Frame itself, Just Labor.. So your talking at least $650.00 or so in most cases.

No more updates from me. Sick of the Trollers who don't do anything but sit on their asses don't ever work on their cars or even have any first hand knowledge of how to even do anything on their own who bash the guys that actually do.

They don't even understand how much time goes into updating a thread in detail like I do with pictures and progress because they have NEVER done it themselves.

Hey Louis don't let these butt munchers get to you. They think thier experts because they read about others work but they have no understanding of how to DO. i've followed all your threads with great interest and would be sad to see you stop posting. Please don't stop.

Yeah MD or should I say Dr Rocket,
This process if frustrating and can be a pain in the ***, but in the end if you have helped someone you have helped keep this sickness alive. Then one day you and I can take up both lanes of a two lane highway and push everybody else out of the way.
Andrew

Just bought the Shock's, Springs & Thrust Bearings for easy adjustment about 5 Minutes ago along with all the Parts to convert the Tie Rods to Heims from member "Badart"'s parts list. His parts got the Bling Bling......:D

I also bought a Ford 9" that is on my Surgery Jig getting ready to swap out the 8 3/4. Gotta shorten it up, been there and just did all this for the 8 3/4. I bought the Big Ford Chromoly Ends off ebay for $60.00 and a Ford 9" Wishbone for measuring that bolts where the carrier goes to for $25.00. They should be here any day.

Trying to finish up the cage, waiting on parts from Alston..... The door swing outs are on back order.

-
Back