**Coil Over Conversion with Stock K**

-
Did you click on Store on the main page?

Oops my bad. Did not click on the pics. Still did not see the rad support though. Maybe I'm just getting old... can't see squat any more :)

Nice job on the website. Hope you're selling a butt load.

If John "badart" could make you the lowers and uppers 1" shorter than stock that would fix it. Like he was saying you would need to use shorter Tie rod sleeves or just buy his with 8" sleeves instead of 9".

Another area to look at is the Strut Rods. If he shortened up the lowers by 1" will that affect the strut rod placement on the LCA? Just something else to check out. Another area is the frame directly above the stock bump stop. The frame would most likely need to be notched and con-caved in and welded back up to accept the Coil Over. On mine I need to clearance the lip of the frame but not into the frame. Yours you most likely would.
CHOP CUT REBUILD!!
Well then i guess i can oonly limi the height it sits. Damn it

You can watch some YouTube vids to start. Buy a cheap used 110 mig and start practicing. You will pick it right up. I have taught a bunch of people. What I've noticed is once they overcome the typical hype that it is too hard, it only takes about 20 min to understand the basics and start laying down some good beads. You can do it!! Get some good under hood time on a practice table and you'll be good to weld on your car in 1 weekend

You can watch some YouTube vids to start. Buy a cheap used 110 mig and start practicing. You will pick it right up. I have taught a bunch of people. What I've noticed is once they overcome the typical hype that it is too hard, it only takes about 20 min to understand the basics and start laying down some good beads. You can do it!! Get some good under hood time on a practice table and you'll be good to weld on your car in 1 weekend

yup!

Started to assemble the Upper Control arms after powder coat. The Heim's would not screw in. They sand blasted a bit of the threads so I got out a Tap and cleaned up the threads. The Hiem's go in like butter now. This should help ease the process of getting it aligned.

Look at all those metal shavings and buggers that came out of there.

View attachment IMG_4418.jpg

Double Yep.

The other mistake is that most people try to weld sheet metal first, which is actually pretty difficult.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Lol,thats what I learned on! Wasnt easy..kept popping holes in the sheet metal and having to weld those up too.

Started to assemble the Upper Control arms after powder coat. The Heim's would not screw in. They sand blasted a bit of the threads so I got out a Tap and cleaned up the threads. ...

View attachment 1714546133

I wish we could've been a little closer together Mad Dart. You and your outstanding fab work deserve much better than having to deal with post-coating issues like that. Amateurs give the rest of us a bad name ....

I wish we could've been a little closer together Mad Dart. You and your outstanding fab work deserve much better than having to deal with post-coating issues like that. Amateurs give the rest of us a bad name ....

I hear that. You know whats funny? These guys are only 1 of 2 in town and nobody trusts the other company so I am kinda stuck. They are about the biggest Powder Coat Company in a 60 mile radius from me. There building is HUGE probably 20000sq ft. The Dad died earlier this year and the Mom and Kid took it over. Customer Service has went to crap. I wonder how long they will be around for.

I hear that. You know whats funny? These guys are only 1 of 2 in town and nobody trusts the other company so I am kinda stuck. They are about the biggest Powder Coat Company in a 60 mile radius from me. There building is HUGE probably 20000sq ft. The Dad died earlier this year and the Mom and Kid took it over. Customer Service has went to crap. I wonder how long they will be around for.

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. I used to next door to a chrome plating and powder coating shop. Combined square footage of both operations was less than 12,000 square feet. Yet the quality of the work was top notch. Interestingly, both portions of the business were owned by the same guy, but each shop had a different manager. Both shops turned out quality work, but the if the powder coating shop said it would be ready on Tuesday, you could call Monday and it was probably already ready.

On the other hand the chrome shop told every customer that came through the door that their parts would be done in two weeks. If you were diligent and called every week after the first two weeks you'd get your parts 6 to 8 weeks after dropping them off.

As far as too much sand blasting on the parts and screwing up the threads, I don't know if I'd be so quick to blame the sand blaster. For powder coating to stick the part has to be perfectly clean so masking the holes for sand blasting is probably out of the question. First, the sand blasting will eat through virtually any masking tape. Second, any masking tape residue might keep the powder coat from sticking. Third, even if you mask the holes, a small amount of powder coat will hit the top thread making it necessary to chase the threads.

In my experience, you should ask them mask all threaded holes and even through holes. Powder coat is so thick it can decrease the diameter of a through hole enough to make inserting a bolt difficult. Once the part comes back from the powder coaters you should expect to chase any threaded holes and VERY CAREFULLY enlarge any through holes. I typically take the correct size drill bit, clamp it in a Vise Grip and hand chase through holes. This will make final assembly a lot easier.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. I used to next door to a chrome plating and powder coating shop. Combined square footage of both operations was less than 12,000 square feet. Yet the quality of the work was top notch. Interestingly, both portions of the business were owned by the same guy, but each shop had a different manager. Both shops turned out quality work, but the if the powder coating shop said it would be ready on Tuesday, you could call Monday and it was probably already ready.

On the other hand the chrome shop told every customer that came through the door that their parts would be done in two weeks. If you were diligent and called every week after the first two weeks you'd get your parts 6 to 8 weeks after dropping them off.

As far as too much sand blasting on the parts and screwing up the threads, I don't know if I'd be so quick to blame the sand blaster. For powder coating to stick the part has to be perfectly clean so masking the holes for sand blasting is probably out of the question. First, the sand blasting will eat through virtually any masking tape. Second, any masking tape residue might keep the powder coat from sticking. Third, even if you mask the holes, a small amount of powder coat will hit the top thread making it necessary to chase the threads.

In my experience, you should ask them mask all threaded holes and even through holes. Powder coat is so thick it can decrease the diameter of a through hole enough to make inserting a bolt difficult. Once the part comes back from the powder coaters you should expect to chase any threaded holes and VERY CAREFULLY enlarge any through holes. I typically take the correct size drill bit, clamp it in a Vise Grip and hand chase through holes. This will make final assembly a lot easier.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Well I think you mis understood me a bit. In no way do I think bigger is better. They have a huge overhead with the big shop and with the Wife and Son taking it over since Dad died, I wonder how long they will survive.

This is also not my first trip down the powder coat road and I do know that I need to drill out through holes and run a tap down the threaded holes. I was just in shock because of how much Crap came out of 4 holes. That is alot of chit in there no doubt about it.

What I find extremely sad is that the experiences you two are reporting are unfortunately the norm in the industry. It's also the main reason I never want to get into chassis coating or expand into a huge facility because quality control goes right out the window. I'll guarantee you both though that no one in my customer stable has ever had to drill out excessive powder or metal shavings and will testify that my parts are ready to install straight out of the box. I just wish more powder coaters felt the way I do and actually gave a $hit what they returned to their customers.

What I find extremely sad is that the experiences you two are reporting are unfortunately the norm in the industry. It's also the main reason I never want to get into chassis coating or expand into a huge facility because quality control goes right out the window. I'll guarantee you both though that no one in my customer stable has ever had to drill out excessive powder or metal shavings and will testify that my parts are ready to install straight out of the box. I just wish more powder coaters felt the way I do and actually gave a $hit what they returned to their customers.

My experience from powder coating is from 20 years ago, and at that time the coating thickness was tremendous. Coating thickness often exceeded .030 of an inch. For example, getting a metallic finish required multiple coats that made the finish extremely thick. I had them coat a bunch of stuff and was very pleased with the results, a lot of my parts were metallic blue and the color depth and consistency were excellent, but chasing threads seemed to be the norm.

I went and checked out your webpage, and from the pics the quality of your work is tremendous and it appears as though coating thickness is much thinner than it was years ago. I am most impressed with your multiple color parts, this seems to be new, at least it is to me. I am also particularly impressed with your refinishing of the center console.

I am very glad you take such pride in your work and from the looks of your price list, you are at least trying to keep things affordable.

As far as people taking pride in their work, I am a bit more hesitant to be critical, mainly because people often take restoration parts to a shop that specializes in production work rather than a shop specializing in custom work. There's a big difference between powder coating a 500 table legs and the intake manifold for a show car.

Further many people are unclear what problems any refinishing process can solve. For example, in anodizing, the anodizing process will EXPOSE flaws in the parent material. Thus people will bring in a beautiful piece that has been polished and once anodized you can see how they welded some corroded portion, milled it flat, and then polished it. Unfortunately since the welding rod is a different alloy than the parent material it will anodize different and thus come out a different color.

Another example, people are often not willing to pay for work required to get the desired level of finish. In looking at your parts it is clear that you or your employees spend a LOT of time properly prepping the materials. For example, on your website you have a beautiful set of stamped steel valve covers powdered coated Hemi Orange. That level of finish didn't just happen. Someone had to bead blast them, carefully pound out any dents, and finally sand away any deep scratches, to make the part was pristine prior to coating because any imperfection will come right through the final coating.

Nice work, just wish you were closer to where I live.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Well, I am taking a break from this site and wont be posting here to get my car done. Next time I post in this thread there will be a **** LOAD done to my car. Peace out, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

-
Back