Common Procomp crosswind intake manifold problem.

-

Bakerlite

Reaction score
This is a new out of the box manifold. In fact the only other one of these I have seen prior to this one was about 7 years ago and it had the exact same problem. The casting and bolt hole angles for the manifold bolts are at an incorrect angle and because most of these come from the same factory and the same casting molds then I've got a feeling that this is a common problem with this brand. This could lead to poor clamping and leaks.
I think people should think twice before buying one of these. If you already have one then I would be checking it.

Attachments

• IMGP1105.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 817
  • IMGP1109.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 798
huh, I have one that seems to be fine, but I am using it on magnum heads.
This is a great heads up. I will have to keep that in mind if I ever replace my heads or use one on LA style heads.

If your heads have been angle milled it could cause a similar problem. Had this problem with a smallblock chevy circle track car where we were required to run a cast iron manifold.

No - you're incorrect. There's nothing wrong with that intake. It's as good as the Air Gap... :D

That's just one of the issues I ran into.

How dare you insult the fine workmanship of the Chinese. Da's racist, yo.

Have you tried another intake to make sure your heads and or block have not been decked?

There's nothing wrong with that? Thats not the same as saying it will still work. And maybe in 20,000 miles the ear will break off the manifold. Sorry, My Performer RPM bolts are perfectly perpendicular with the head.

procomp is cheap a s s s h i t i ran a set of there heads on my mustang a few years ago total garbage, you get what you pay for. every time

You could open the holes up with a die grinder or dremel tool so the bolts fit better. they are just clearance holes, not tapped....

Ya get what you pay for... And then some....

And sometimes you're lucky and your block and heads are warped and it fits perfectly .
Now watch ne have problems with my Edelbrock ALU heads , probabbly made down the street from crosswind !

These are standard heads on a standard block. The heads have not been angle milled in any way. This is a manifold issue. Opening up the mounting holes will not fix this problem. It's also the boss on the manifold where the head of the bolt seats, that is on the incorrect angle. I wonder how many 1000's of these inakes are out there with this issue.
I think since day one of production, they have had this fault and it's never been fixed.

Well it is a cheap copy of the eddy manifold? And most times you get what you pay for. And just about any non stock or Hi Performance part needs to be carefully checked, and tweaked.

Just checked the crosswind I have...fits fine on eddy 408 with eddy heads....

And this ladies and gents is the reason we stay away from cheap Chinese junk.

I've used 11 of them so far doing Magnum swaps & haven't had the first problem

I don't use much LA stuff anymore though as it is outdated & ineffecient
The only LA in the drive wears Magnum heads

Gasket mating surfaces looks fine. Are you trying to bolt it to early 273 heads? They have a different bolt angle and size than later ('66-up) heads.

Yep, good question.

What year standard block and heads? 273 heads perhaps?

Exactly what I was thinking. Look like the early 273 heads to me w the diff intake bolt angle. I have used a few crosswind/knock off intakes w no problems at all. My RPM air gap actually had more core shift than the cheapies.

These are standard heads on a standard block. The heads have not been angle milled in any way. This is a manifold issue. Opening up the mounting holes will not fix this problem. It's also the boss on the manifold where the head of the bolt seats, that is on the incorrect angle. I wonder how many 1000's of these inakes are out there with this issue.
I think since day one of production, they have had this fault and it's never been fixed.

What are the casting #'s on the heads?

Forget the 273 head theory..
Just to clarify, I'm not asking for advice on what is wrong here. I know what is wrong. I'm just posting this so members can see the sort of problems you may encounter if you buy one of these..
Also the one I saw 7 years ago was on a 1974 360 with stock heads. The owner had bolted it on and never even realized that the bolts did not fit correctly.

I've used 11 of them so far doing Magnum swaps & haven't had the first problem

I don't use much LA stuff anymore though as it is outdated & ineffecient
The only LA in the drive wears Magnum heads
Guess they fit the Magnum better than the LA. But as you can see this manifold is on LA,s, not Magnums.

Forget the 273 head theory..
Just to clarify, I'm not asking for advice on what is wrong here. I know what is wrong. I'm just posting this so members can see the sort of problems you may encounter if you buy one of these..
Also the one I saw 7 years ago was on a 1974 360 with stock heads. The owner had bolted it on and never even realized that the bolts did not fit correctly.

Not a theory....Fact: the early heads have different bolt size and angle...looks just like whats going on here.

-
Back