Common Procomp crosswind intake manifold problem.

-
Not a theory....Fact: the early heads have different bolt size and angle...looks just like whats going on here.
I know the early heads are different :roll:.. These are not early heads ...So as I said forget that theory.. and you are mistaken on what you think it looks like.

Guess they fit the Magnum better than the LA. But as you can see this manifold is on LA,s, not Magnums.

As far as I know and seen, the angle of the head to intake relation is the same. Attaching screws points/angles are different.

Not a theory....Fact: the early heads have different bolt size and angle...looks just like whats going on here.

While true, the issue would be actual size of attaching screw. The earlier 273 engines used a smaller attaching screw so the newer ones will not even attach.

Yes Rob, for the astute out there they would have noticed that the bolt in the picture is a 3/8 not 5/16, by it's head size of 9/16 not 1/2..

Also the one I saw 7 years ago was on a 1974 360 with stock heads. The owner had bolted it on and never even realized that the bolts did not fit correctly.

I dont understand.
7 years ago you saw the chinaman part and it was crappy
If you read this site since 2007 you will find other reviews that say the part is crappy
And now you have another chinaman part in your possession and trying to attach it to your motor?
Why?

Are you bringing new information to the table?
What is it?

I dont understand.
7 years ago you saw the chinaman part and it was crappy
If you read this site since 2007 you will find other reviews that say the part is crappy
And now you have another chinaman part in your possession and trying to attach it to your motor?
Why?

Are you bringing new information to the table?
What is it?

First of all.. who says it's my part going onto my motor? maybe it's an unfortunate customer that didn't read this site either and now wants me to fix it for him...
Second , not only am I saying that this is a problem but I'm also showing some evidence of the problem instead of the usual he said, she said unverifiable babble that usually gets thrown around when these discussions come up.
Answer your questions??

Yeah
Generally when I buy something and it doesnt work I return it.

But up a few threads you have guys saying the authentic Eddy intakes have similar issues as the chinaman part.

We see this same back and forth about cast Eagle cranks.
Some guys say they are crap and cant hold 3,000rpm or 250HP
Others say they spin them to 7,500 and 700hp for 70passes.

I dont know

First of all.. who says it's my part going onto my motor? maybe it's an unfortunate customer that didn't read this site either and now wants me to fix it for him...
Second , not only am I saying that this is a problem but I'm also showing some evidence of the problem instead of the usual he said, she said unverifiable babble that usually gets thrown around when these discussions come up.
Answer your questions??

Yes, some pictorial evidence would be nice when claims are made about parts.
What got me was to see the same casting/ machining fault after all this time...Just makes me wonder how many are out there.

I have to agree with you Baker. After all this time, dont they mock up a block over there from time to time? I guess they go from assembly line to box. Who needs some kwazy wabbit checking dimensions anyway.

Chinaman engineering team thought the intake fasteners were 90* or square to the head flange. They are not. More like 75*. This is the cause of the problem. Just another example of the poor R and D and quality of this company. I think this why they changed the name from ProComp to Speed Master. Trying to shake off that poor image.

This is just one of the problems we encountered with one of these pos joke manifold.
The angles on the manifold (where the bolt heads seat) where corrected in a mill. The manifold still had to be faced to even fit properly. And even then, it still seeped coolant into the oil. So it got taken off, and thrown into the corner in disgust.
The worst part is that when the stroker kit was ordered (From Muscle Motors) a genuine air gap. And they sent us that not fit for purpose chunk of scrap metal. Not to mention other claims them made which were lies. (but that's another story)

My advise, by one at your own peril.........

Crosswind is made by Professional Products..

Speedmaster makes the Eliminator .....a copy of the Crosswind...LOL

I have to agree with you Baker. After all this time, dont they mock up a block over there from time to time? I guess they go from assembly line to box. Who needs some kwazy wabbit checking dimensions anyway.
Yeah, or you would at least be checking the odd one when they arrive in the country, after all they are based in the USA. Obviously some of these manifolds would have been returned since they were first cast and you would think that they would have addressed a problem like this already. Guess they couldn't care less.

Crosswind is made by Professional Products..

Speedmaster makes the Eliminator .....a copy of the Crosswind...LOL

So, now, scientific method suggests a comparison between the two making sure to document which is which, to see if the problem exists on both versions.

That would explain some folks having problems and others not.

Pro Comp, Pro Products, Speed Master. I think you will find they all get made in the same factory in China. They all have the 5026 part number.
The owner has contacted the seller, lets see what happens..

Pro Comp, Pro Products, Speed Master. I think you will find they all get made in the same factory in China. They all have the 5026 part number.
The owner has contacted the seller, lets see what happens..

If he bought this product from a reputable seller (Jegs, Summit, Autozone, etc) they should refund his money pretty easily. Unless he bought it two years ago and lost the receipt.

Do you know where the guy bought it?

And this ladies and gents is the reason we stay away from cheap Chinese junk.

But, it's not all junk.

I wanted an Edelbrock Air Gap for the supercharged 360 Magnum I was assembling and started seeing ads in April of the year they were supposed to have started selling them. I waited for months and nobody had them for sale. Finally, in September, I had the engine ready for final assembly, but still had no manifold, so I called Edelbrock and was told they could not say when the small block Mopar Magnum manifolds would be ready for shipment (unspecified production problems,) so I did the next best thing and ordered a Professional Products Crosswind.

I installed it with a 750 Holley double pumper on top, connected to a Vortech centrifugal blower and that was 8 years (approximately) ago. No air or water leaks and it has never been off the engine. Makes 447 rwhp on 10 pounds of boost.

Chinese junk? I don't think so.

I bought it because Edelbrock couldn't give me an Air Gap when I needed it, but I saved about $100 in the process and have never been sorry it is on my motor.

But, it has vertical hold-down bolts because that's how the Magnum head is configuerd. Guess I lucked out this time.

The other (L-A bolt-hole angle) problem is very real and should surely have been fixed, over the years. I can't imagine it hasn't... but, there it is! :banghead:

Attachments

• manny.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 258
  • image0-2.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 256
anyone got an extra crosswind intake for sale?

If you would have waited for the Eddy maybe you would have 450rwhp

I don't think I'll miss the 3 horsepower... as much as I would have missed having the car to drive in the interim...
\
And the hundred bucks I saved went towards a set of $$$$$$ TTI headers...

-
Back