Considering a Slant 6 swap into a Mitsubishi Starion...

-

ConStar

Reaction score
Hello all.

I currently have a pair of 1980s Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest cars. For those unfamiliar, there is no Chrysler in these cars at all. They're all either sold as what they are (Mitsubishis) or are rebadged as Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Conquests, depending on years.

They are factory-equipped with the G54B 2.6L 4-cylinder, TBI, single-turbo Mitsubishi motor found in a lot of forklifts and Dodge Caravans. Many of us in the StarQuest owners' groups end up swapping that motor out. I have a 1988 Conquest with the factory G54B still installed and have no plans to change it. But I have a 1986 Starion awaiting a swap, either to Mitsubishi's 6G72TT (Dodge Stealth/Mitsu 3000GT), Chrysler/AMG's M112 (Chrysler Crossfire) or a Slant 6.

The G54B came from the factory with about 180 hp and 230 torque. It's an odd motor, low-revving and almost acts like a straight six or big-block V8 in regards to power curve. So my baseline for a Slant 6 is that it has to at least match those numbers, and hopefully exceed them.

The one other requirement, given the StarQuest application, is that it must end up turbocharged. I would also strongly prefer it to be converted to EFI. This car will primarily be my wife's and reliability is a huge factor (a big reason I'm looking at the Slant 6 over the 6G72TT, especially).

I'm not saying budget isn't a factor, but it's a secondary factor to getting what I want. Ideally, I would like the motor to compare, numbers-wise, to the 6G72TT in factory trim. That would mean around 250 HP/320 torque at the end of the day. From what I've read, that's pretty doable on this motor.

Where I'm running into trouble is that most of the info out there on this kind of build is several years old now, and light on some of the details (what turbo specifically? what are my EFI options? can I retain an A/C compressor, which is a necessity in the South where I live?). I'd like to hear some general opinions on how to get to those target numbers, and having some idea of a budget would be nice, too. There is also the big issue of a transmission -- it MUST be a manual and I would prefer as many gears as I can get (the factory Mitsu unit is a 5-speed).

In the end, this is going to be a neat build. The Starion/Conquest twins are fantastic cars, great handling with an interior that was ahead of its time. The weight balance and nimbleness are fantastic. This car's ultimate purpose will be more for curvy-road driving than anything else; I'm not a drag racer. The car is about 3,000-3,200 pounds. I'm still on the fence about whether to use the Slant 6 or the 6G72TT, and one big advantage of the latter is I have cleaner transmission options and wouldn't need to modify the firewall. Any feedback is welcome.

Just asking
If you can physically fit a slanty in there....... what about a smallblock? Then you won't need a turbo, cuz even a 318/5.2 will do 250/320 without even breathing hard. And the power-delivery will be freight-train flat and start right off idle.
There is an AX-15 5 speed that will almost bolt right onto the SBM.It comes in two flavors, the close ratio having excellent progressively shorter splits, and a nice overdrive ratio.
If you go late Magnum, it is already all set up for EFI and the AC compressor may already be on it. And it is rated 230hpNET, with lots and lots of Torque. IDK the T-spec but I bet it's close to 400NET.
The weight difference from slanty to SBM is very small. By the time you put the turbo kit on the 6 the weight on the front wheels will be very similar to the SBM.In fact, the SBM may be better,cuz the weight will be further back.
But before you get started, look at the steering very closely.

If you can fit a 318/5.2 in there, well, then you can also fit any other SBM based engine in there..... all the way to 416. and a tad more,lol.
But of course that brings more issues, like broken rear-ends, rear springs, and gearboxs.

Last edited:
My brother is finishing up a 5.2 Starion build.

Was not bad with respect to space, but some K member and exhaust fab work was required.

RWD bell housing and clutch for 2.2/2.5 is available from Dakota.

IMG_20170429_152947.jpg
IMG_20170429_152955.jpg
IMG_20170429_153035.jpg

No way I'd ever put the heavy boat anchor slant in a StarQuest!!! Those cars have lots of potential, and a S6 would be a step in the wrong direction!

And I love the ChryCo 2.2/2.5 and am currently building a S60 GLH, but there are engines with way more potential that go in the StarQuest with less work!

GM LS or a Mitsu 4G63 are the best two options imho...

Back in the 90's a guy I worked with had a Conquest GT, I thought it was a very cool looking car

Yeah, /6 is going backwards and they are loooong.

Sounds like you want sonething FAR simpler but a 3.6 Pentastar (300 hp stock) would be awesome.

1UZFE 4.0 Lexus V8, kinda fat but short and 275HP stock, and butter smooth idle. Supra 5sp. trans bolts up. Putting a /6 in that would be a strange beast. 3.6 Pentastar 300 HP? Hell yeah....

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you guys. I do appreciate the interest in the thread and I'd like to explain how I prioritized the Slant 6 as my first alternative choice to the 6G72TT.

First, a little history about what has happened in the StarQuest community over the years...

1) The first V8 swaps were typically 302 Fords. Someone mentioned checking steering box clearance up the board, and that was indeed the primary concern with the 302. Custom exhaust headers had to be fashioned, usually on both sides, but definitely on the driver's side of the car. However, once in the car, this swap proved to be a highly reliable and straightforward conversion. For that matter, the EFI system that goes on the 302 is one of the options if you want to convert a G54B from throttle-body injection to EFI.

2) In more recent years, GM's ubiquitous LS V8 from a Corvette or Pontiac GTO has been the go-to for V8 swaps because of the better power capabilities. There is also less work to do under the hood, at least left-to-right. There is some front-to-back clearance concerns, but another advantage to this swap is it seems to be easier to seat a manual transmission (compared to the 302) if you so choose. Again, these cars are highly reliable after such a swap. The primary concerns with the G54B are (1) fuel control and (2) the maddening inability of this motor to get consistent lean-rich readings across the four cylinders, which often leads to head gasket issues at the rear of the motor.

3) As for a straight Mopar swap, we've seen a couple of LA swaps in our group, typically 318s and up. They are rare and I'm not really sure why, compared to the 302 and LS.

4) The first engine swaps done on these cars was to pull the G54B and hook up a Mitsubishi 4G63 out of the DiamondStar cars (Eclipse/Laser/Talon). You could make incredible power from them, there were a lot of parts that could be reused (the earliest power-adding mod to the StarQuest was arguably the 1G MAS from the 4G63) and the motor fit with room to spare. At one of the earliest national StarQuest meets, a streetable Conquest that was primarily a drag car showed up with this swap; his 1/4-mile times were well down into the 9s. If you want to take the "easy" way out even today, this is your swap.

5) The most common swap now is the 1JZ/2JZ Toyota/Lexus motors. The power these things make is downright insane. Getting 600 rwhp is common with the right mods, and the car is still completely streetable well over the 400 rwhp mark. In a car that weighs about 3,000 pounds, with some of the best handling characteristics ever put on a road, you have just created for yourself an autocross demon. But there are downsides. Chief among them is the necessity to relocate (and perhaps downsize) the radiator forward of the front core support, which necessitates moving and/or downsizing the A/C condenser (if you can even figure out how to retain it in the first place). Also, the front sway bar has to be removed from the car entirely. I am afraid this would also be a consideration with the Slant 6.

Now, having said all that, why am I interested in a Slant 6?

I am a big believer in retaining the soul of a car, even when you modify one. I have long been involved with old Jaguars as well, and yet I refuse to consider a GM LS swap to either of my current old Jags even though it's pretty much a bolt-in mod (most Jaguars older than 1988 already come with GM transmissions anyway if you want to retain them). In my view, once you pull the Jaguar mill, you don't have a Jaguar anymore. You have a GM heart in a Jag body.

To that end, I feel I have two choices with the StarQuest: another Mitsubishi motor, or something from its adoptive parent, Chrysler Corp. I also really want to retain a turbocharger, as that is almost equally a base characteristic of this car. If a turbo wasn't important, I could pull the Mitsubishi 6G75 out of the last-generation Eclipse coupe and be done with it. Switching over to the Mopar side, there are a handful of 4-cyl options I'm not crazy about (2.2 from a Daytona, 2.4 EDV/EDT). Beyond that, I would be looking for some kind of 6-cyl engine I could use some kind of forced induction on. The Slant 6 seems to like the addition of a turbo very much; the M112 AMG out of a Crossfire would be supercharged (but given no manual transmission was ever mated to the supercharged version of that motor, I'm unclear on what my options are there).

So if there's a more modern Mopar V6 that could be turbocharged and get up over those power numbers, I'd be open to it.

So after reading your post, it sounds like the 4G63 is the best choice! Power, ease, economy, balance, reliability, and parent company!

Can someone give me some background on the 3.6? Current vehicles it's used in, characteristics, pluses/minuses?

I thought this car was to be a DD for your wife?
Did I miss something?
lol
The one other requirement, given the StarQuest application, is that it must end up turbocharged. I would also strongly prefer it to be converted to EFI. This car will primarily be my wife's and reliability is a huge factor (a big reason I'm looking at the Slant 6 over the 6G72TT, especially).

-
Back